Just Got An Apex - Did I Make A Mistake?

DavidBNJ said,

I am an extremely new user and just received the Apex as my first detector.........did I make a poor decision?

Yep I started out with what looked like a Geiger Counter on a stick and then graduated up (?) to a muffler on a stick. 

The Apex is as good an entry level detector as is made in the USA at the moment. Enjoy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DavidBNJ said:

I am an extremely new user and just received the apex as my first detector.....did I make a poor decision? 

No.  It is a great first detector at a good price point.  For a new detectorist you really cannot go wrong with Simplex/Vanquish/Apex.  Though IMO Simplex is probably the least intuitive of the three for a new detectorist to learn because of all the features Nokta stuffed into that machine making the UI cluttered and user navigation around it a little daunting.

What you are hearing are experienced detectorists complain about long standing design and feature issues that hold Garrett back from producing a competitive higher end, higher performing elite class flagship detector vs. the present main competition from Minelab, Nokta, and XP.  Some of the nit picking of Apex is a symptom of that issue.  For learning detecting, decent features, versatility to use it on land or salt beach, great ergonomics and streamlined user interface, the Apex is very good.  Enjoy it and come back to the forum to get your questions answered as you learn how to use your new machine.

• Like 1

Hey Dave,

If you use your new detector for awhile, and are not happy, you can always trade or sell! You just happened to buy a unit that does not have any real track record yet, because it's so new on the market! It's Garrett's first foray into the multifrequency market! But they are a well established, and respected company with great customer service! If you have any doubts or issues with your new machine, talk to them first! They will help!

But i would just concentrate on the basics, and good detecting eddiquette! (Look up, if you're not familiar!) As said above, it will find stuff like any detector; both good and bad! And it takes time to learn it's "language"! 

Follow the forum posts that interest you; and/or pertain to your machine! Also YouTube will have an ever increasing number of people testing and learning their new Apex also!

Good Luck, and welcome to the world of detecting!👍👍

Hi

thank you to everyone for responding. Like everything else in life it is going to be practice and patience. As a new user I have found the controls to be quite easy to understand and it has a nice interface. I have a feeling my backyard is a cacophony of bad soil and car parts buried ages ago so it may not be the best location to practice on. I did create some sample bags of clad/silver and gold to spread out and bury to learn how the machine reacts to them. I will post my progress and again truly appreciate everyone’s responses!  If anyone is in the northern NJ area please do look me up. 

David

• Like 2

Watch out for the Jersey Devil! I hear he is fond of eating lone detectorists!!  👹🤣👍👍

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DavidBNJ said:

I am an extremely new user and just received the apex as my first detector.....did I make a poor decision? 

I think the Apex is a great place to start. Generally it is a good idea to wait at least 6 months after a machine has been on the streets and in use before considering one, in order to let the dust settle and get reliable reports. Many new releases also have bugs and waiting gives them time to iron out the kinks. But as far as the machine itself, it is a lot of detector for the money.

The main problem is people thinking that for $424 Garrett was going to release something that went toe to toe with machines costing twice as much. Unrealistic perhaps but you can’t blame people for being hopeful.

I think some of the emphasis on performance tests gets a bit carried away at times. The fact is metal detectors are a mature technology and even low cost machines are top performers by the standards in place just a few years ago. I can do well with almost any detector on the market from a reputable manufacturer. The real key is putting yourself on good locations and putting in the hours. Do that, and the Apex will do just fine for you.

Here is some help to get started......

small-book-header2000x496.jpg

Family Treasure Hunting: A Beginner's Guide by Charles Garrett 2.39 MB
Understanding Treasure Signs and Symbols by Charles Garrett 9.24 MB
The Sport of Coin Hunting with a Metal Detector by Charles Garrett 7.21 MB
How to Search Sand and Surf: Treasure Recovery at the Beach by Charles Garrett 5.44 MB
Introduction To Metal Detecting In Europe by Charles Garrett 8.38 MB
How to Find GOLD: Metal Detecting and Panning by Charles Garrett and Roy Lagal 6.2 MB

More free books and articles here

• Like 4

The Apex is a great detector with lots of nice features. Get to know it and enjoy it. I personally am critical of metal detectors because of the tough conditions I use them in. But for someone just getting into the hobby it's a great one to start with.

• Like 1

Hello everyone, just my 2 cent piece worth.

Just recently I too purchased an Apex. I had high hopes, watched some testing and did a lot of research beforehand. I have several detectors,my favorite being the Nox 800.

I wanted to see if the Apex could offer anything the Nox could not. IMO= I found the Apex to not offer anything in (multi) on the sites I hunt, which are mainly civil war/ pre civil war camps here in Southeast,Ks.

However much to my suprise I've found that single frequency 15 and 20 do exceptionally well in them,being that you can zero out the iron volume. Yes, you can run the Nox 800 the same way but something about the algorithm in the Apex platform makes things pop.

True story,first day my first 3 targets were colt .44's...70 feet further on up Gold, an 18k cufflink that rang 42/43. Not your typical number you would dig,but the tone was so clear and concise, it had that pop. I was pleasantly surprised. Thought maybe it was a fluke, ran it today at a different camp site, silver ring, silver thimble and some bullets. Don't be afraid to run those single frequencies at anytime, it can really simplify things.

For a first detector you did great, its light, easy to use,good battery life and most of all it does work. Don't compare it to other detectors, its not them, the Apex is own breed.

Lifes a journey....dig it ;>)

20200902_160453.jpg

20200827_204215.jpg

20200902_230935.jpg

20200805_201439.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/5/2020 at 4:38 PM, DavidBNJ said:

Hi

thank you to everyone for responding. Like everything else in life it is going to be practice and patience. As a new user I have found the controls to be quite easy to understand and it has a nice interface. I have a feeling my backyard is a cacophony of bad soil and car parts buried ages ago so it may not be the best location to practice on. I did create some sample bags of clad/silver and gold to spread out and bury to learn how the machine reacts to them. I will post my progress and again truly appreciate everyone’s responses!  If anyone is in the northern NJ area please do look me up. 

David

You have the right machine to start and this is maybe the best part of your learning curve as a new user.

Any sound, any number on the screen will have the magic of a surprise.

I tell You frankly, we are like childs near the Christmas time:waiting for a new toy to play with😅