How Many Mining Claims Are There?

The problem isn't metal detecting though, the problem comes in when I find a place I want to mine. Then you have no choice but to lease. And that assumes a company will even be amicable to leasing, which in every case I've encountered so far they have not. But even if they are, I am now paying my lawful legal cut to the government, and then I'm paying a cut to a third party for my own minerals and having to deal with their added beaurocracy on top of it. And to make it worse I'm fairly certain their claim is not even valid to begin with but I gotta pay the blood money because how do you fight 1000 lawyers?

If a guy walks around and metal detects and is there and gone 5 hours later no biggie. If a guy wants to mine, it can be a biggie. And since I assume anyone who files a claim, which is what this topic is about, is a miner or has intent to mine, then it should also be a biggie to other miners.

The other problem is related to what Chris brought up. How on Earth is any prospector supposed to know what lands are leased? I will go out of my way to avoid those if I know. Buts it's just impossible unless there is some sort of sign. Which I've never seen anywhere yet personally, as Chris says they have a tendency to go missing.

I understand where you are coming from Jason, I do, and around a campfire you might be surprised by things I might say. However, I did my 30 years of political activism in issues regarding mining at various levels while in Alaska, contributing a great number of hours and dollars being involved in issues like this. I promise you that if you want to get involved, and really try and institute change, you will have to fight everyone on all sides. Small miners in particular, who hate change of any sort, and are as united as a herd of wild cats. And all the while that you do the small miner vs large miner thing the environmental lobby will solve your problem for you by eliminating both. I did my time and paid my dues and for that reason - I am signing off!

But do feel free to continue folks, just remember - civility and respect.

• Like 1

Since I put up the chart of Small Miner claims acreage on the Small Miners thread I thought it was only right that I put up the total of all claims acreage here.

To put things in perspective:

Nevada is about 40 million acres in size (39,804,120 acres). The total of mining claims there represents about 10% of that area.

California is about 60 million acres (58,930,560 acres). The total of mining claims there represents about 1.25% of that area.

post-392-0-72282100-1448391705_thumb.png