What's Your Go To Coin Machine??

Simon,

With all you post about what you do, i don't think anyone here, is ever going to label you as being lazy! I would take your definition of lazy any day!!😂👍👍

• Like 2

Yeah,

You beat me by 20 years!! (52)! 

But it's all good!👍👍

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

I would possibly be more successful if I stuck with the T2 full time too after all I have two of them, an old one and a new T2 classic, it's a very deep detector, as deep as a VLF gets I would think however ID's are far less stable than my Nox/Vanquish on deep targets meaning I don't have confidence to dig by ID with it like I do the others on deeper targets.  This means I'd dig a lot more targets thereby digging targets I may miss with the other detectors when for whatever reason their ID isn't as stable as I'd expect it to be like a silver on edge or something.   He who digs more finds more, no matter what detector you're using.  I think that's why people have done so well with the early Garrett Ace series detectors, they force you to dig a lot more with their limited target notches.  My Ace has 12 notches, a lot of targets fall into each notch.

I think I could do well with any detector if I was willing to dig it all whenever it beeps, I am lazy though and like detectors that have as accurate ID as possible so I dig a lot less.

As i basically run my T2 in AM mode all the time and this is my observation that the TID is much more stable as a result of using zero discrimination and the TID just seems to lock onto a target much better and for the most part stable and possibly at greater depth.......of course the deeper the target is the less reliable or infact in many cases the TID wont show because the larget is slightly deeper than the signal can trigger the TID circuit but the audio threshold still will indicate it......that is when you need to dig,of course it could well be rubbish but that way you wont miss any of the desirable decent targets.

The rubbish rate will rise but the reward ratio of desirable targets also rises as well,this is why we usually find that newbies are told by experienced detetorists to dig all and they often find the hoards/artefacts that experienced detectorists would leave behind for being lazy.

Turning out to be a very good topic.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

I retired at 32, I think I invented lazy 😃

I was also lucky that i was able to retire from mainstream work in my 30s as well,without doubt possibly the best decision i ever made.living the dream as they say.

• Like 2

If I'm just going for picking up the most clad in a given time, my "go to" coin vacuum is the White's DFX or V3i with a BigFoot coil. I've never found another detector that can match it. It will only go about 4-5" deep so not for the older coins but it will smoke any other detector for sheer quantity out of a park or school. Pretty good on the dry saltwater beach sand also.   

• Like 2

When I coin hunt it's usually only for older coins. So I want a metal detector that can not only go deep but have an accurate ID at depth in my bad soil. Equinox 800 fits that bill for me, nothing else but a FBS machine can come close.

• Like 4

Well I can't say enough good things about my Nokta Multi Kruzer. This is a great solid coin machine (sometimes too good). Clad, silver and gold you won't guess at whats under your coil. I've had it for roughly 8 months, And have found around $1100.00 in face value and scrap coins. My second choice would be my lowly Tesoro compadre.

• Like 2

Ditto from me on the Nokta/Makro Multi Kruzer.

Lightweight, good target IDs, easy to use, nice readable display, good wireless headphones.  Great overall package.

I use three tone in a really trashy park to pick out good targets, and four tone if not so much trash to search deeper.

• Like 3

Back several years ago I used the minelab Xterra 50. It was the first unit I ever used with a DD coil. 

I bought the 10.5 inch mid freq coil and the 6" 18khz small DD coil. 

It was an absolute blast coin unit. i had a ton of fun with it and found a lot if good coins and some of my favorite coin finds as well. 

Then I got the MXT with the 6x10 DD coil and had even more fun coin shooting.

I used the mxt for Everything for a long time.

My friend got an Xterra 70 and I tried it out thinking it would be like the 50 was to me years ago.

I just could not get back into the target id numbers again if the minelab Xterra. 

I guess that is why I cannot get into the equinox numbering system. 

Yes I know it is an easier format somewhat but the target ID of the equinox crams a lot of stuff into 1/2 of the number system to me of say a 1-99 system. 

I guess I am just more used to the 0-99 like White has also Teknetics/Fisher and XP.

It just makes more sense to me.

• Like 4

For coin shooting - for me that is searching a dense layer of shallow targets and hooking the coins out  it has to be an older Tesoro with the 4 inch concentric coil. The reaction to targets, the small size and wand like movement in a carpet of signals makes this the go to option. It's not for general searching, but roadside verges, edge of sports fields, river bridges with a grass verge edge and play parks etc. 

• Like 1