What's Your Go To Coin Machine??

No longer coin shoot but still have my go-to coin shooter...the mighty Etrac!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I often dig 8" or deeper US nickels that will read 11 to 14 or 15 at those depths but the tone is still a low/mid conductor toned target (nickel, lead, gold!!!!!) and lets me know accurately with a little investigating via the depth meter, iron tone check and onboard pinpointing that there is a deep coin sized mid conductor under the coil with no iron present. Got to dig those too and I don't recall ever being fooled by what the Nox is telling me on those type targets.

I haven't dug any nickels that even touch a digital TID above 14, but that is my (mental discrimination) choice so maybe I should be....  I wish I were better at the subtle tone tricks that you veterans have developed over many years of trial and error.  As it stands now if I go after targets that hit 15 I'm going to dig a ton more pulltabs.  (I'm over 900 of those this year just concentrating on 11-14 TID's.)  The old park I'm hunting is absolutely loaded with pulltabs.  I have 14-19 as a tone bin and it's not unusual to get 6-8 hits in one swing, all in that 14-10 tone bin.  Of course it's not a crime to miss a nickel here and there, but I hate to miss any old coin!

Hope I'm not getting too far OT, but one thing I wish the Equinox was better at is proportional audio.  It does have some, but I have to work awfully hard to take advantage of it.  It seems like the high volume end is saturated.  The low volume end is better.  That's good for deeper coins, and the older coins tend to be deeper.  But I've found plenty of shallow Wheaties and some shallow silver dimes (Barbers and Mercs), so relying on depth for old coins is risky.  Got a 3 inch deep V-nickel earlier this summer -- just another example.

• Like 1

The Nox has some proportional audio in the Park and Field and Beach modes which is more pronounced in 50 tones. It is really easy to hear when using the pinpoint function audio. An 8" really high pitched higher denomination US coin, silver coin or jewelry will have a fairly low pitched, low volume level pinpoint tone and just the opposite for shallower stuff. Deeper nickels and gold jewelry will have a somewhat lower pinpoint tone than the same depth aluminum can slaw or pull tabs usually.......

Your on topic........favorite coin shooters and why.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

It is really easy to hear when using the pinpoint function audio.  An 8" really high pitched higher denomination US coin, silver coin or jewelry will have a fairly low pitched, low volume level pinpoint tone and just the opposite for shallower stuff. Deeper nickels and gold jewelry with have a somewhat lower pinpoint tone than the same depth aluminum can slaw or pull tabs usually.......

I've been working on that technique since you posted it a week or two ago.  I'll continue to do so.  The Equinox pinpoint function is known to be a bit quirky (maybe more than a bit) which does complicate this, IMO, but with practice I think I can improve my 'ear' even with that complication.

Thanks for your advice, Jeff.

Still like my Tejon, heavy trash areas the MK edges it out in recovery speed. Don't use my ATP much as the stock coil has a crack in it that I repaired.

From 2000 to 2014 it was the   Minelab Explorer.This   machine was way   ahead of it's time and was a silver slayer. I hit the control box with my shovel and started to use my Minelab X-terra 70 for coins and with the 10" 7.5kz. coil I did very well on coins but you needed to know what the machine was telling you more then the explorer for coins to get the tougher coins ,At that freq. it hit Indians very well in tougher spots.I even kept up with my Explorer 2 buddy and he is a  pro with that machine.I never tried a mars 3kz   DD coil and I  wish I did.I had a  loose  wired nel tornado coil at 7.5 kz. for 2 weeks and it got me one of the deepest wheat penny I ever dug. The minelab coil  broke it's ears so now I use the Nox and this machine does most everything well and for coin hunting it is at the top of the food chain.If you were to drive around the country and could only bring 1 machine to hunt this would be my choice.

Looks like most prefer the equinox, vanquish or explorer style units. Then it looks like Deus may be runner up and a few more here and there.

I was considering maybe getting an equinox again. I had the 600 and let it go after I bought the ORX. Now  I think I am just going to make a custom coin program for my Deus. I have not done that yet as I have been relic hunting for the most part the past few years. So it really did not matter that much on target ID.

Anyways, thanks for your thoughts!!

• Like 1

Over the years i have built up a fair amount of detector and still own them all including Deusx2 and Nox etc but they still have not come close to what my faithful old original T2 has found me,infact its become my No1 everyday machine again.Never ever let me down and with the Sharpshooter coil has found me more gold coinage and silver hammered coins than all my other machines put together,the only other machine which comes close is the DFX which once again has found me the 2nd most gold coinage.

I always make a mental note of what decent finds go in my finds pouch and  its the T2 by a massive amount,its a funny old game this detecting lark when a simple to setup machine the T2 takes just seconds to fire up and be away detecting but machines like the Deus and Nox are not as capable in my mind........keep it simple works really well for me.

The many other machines that i have these days mainly have specific uses like deep pasture hunts or very trashy roman sites but my T2 is my all time favourite.

• Like 4

Hey Rick,

I like what you said about the T2!     

This is part of my recent line of thinking in my recent switch in detectors! I just bought a G2+ and a MXT Pro! It seems like a counterintuitive move from the Nox 800 that i traded! But in my mind, i think it will be a good move! And i will be more successful! Time will tell!👍👍

• Like 4