Iron Bias Fe Versus Fe2

On 9/7/2020 at 2:21 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

is Iron Bias reducing the non-ferrous false signals, or increasing the ferrous signal?

Was that resolved?  I have no idea, but something tells me that at high iron-bias the the non-ferrous signal is replaced by the ferrous one, if below threshold...

6 minutes ago, mcjtom said:

Was that resolved?  I have no idea, but something tells me that at high iron-bias the the non-ferrous signal is replaced by the ferrous one, if below threshold...

Don't know, could just be semantical. I'll have to fiddle with it some more someday.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed something one day, while metal detecting the river here in Northern California. I was getting a reading of 11-12, and in-between it would drop to -1 or lower. I decided to dig it anyways, and it was a orange nickel. I was curious as to why it gave a ferrous response that made me question whether to dig it or not. I buried the nickel again, and started investigating which setting, if any, was causing the nickel to give a ferrous response, and I found that I had been running the F2 iron bias at 4. When I reduced it to 2, it gave ALMOST no ferrous response, and when I cut it to 0 the nickel read clean 11-12. I honestly haven't hunted with it on since. I don't think this would effect gold jewelry, which is what I'm after. I think the corrosion on the nickel was causing the iron bias to help it give the ferrous response. I'm still pretty new at this, and so I could be way off. The ground I hunt in is also very mineralized, and I wonder how much that can also contribute to a good item, giving an occasional ferrous response coupled in with the non-ferrous. 

• Like 2