Ray is a great guy (he's unselfishly helped me out with questions in the past), and you are indeed lucky to have had some personal instruction time with him.

Good to know he's still out stomping around in the hills.

All the best,

Lanny

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Erik Oostra
      I've already posed this question on Jim from Idaho's post in relation to gold bars, but I'm curious about the general consensus among detectorists..
      Is there a time period after which the 'finders keepers' rule applies?
      I'm asking because I face this dilemma every time I find valuable jewellery (especially wedding rings) on the beach, whether to turn them in at the police station in case someone has reported them lost or to hang on to them and keeping quiet.. Value could not just be monetary but also sentimental..
      Thanks for your feedback to a question I'm sure plagues the conscience of other detectorists as well.. 
      Edit: just realised I've posted this on the wrong forum, it should be on the 'Metal detecting for jewellery' forum.. Not sure how to change it..  
    • By Goldseeker5000
      Does anyone on here know anything about the laws regarding detecting for gold in the Philippines? I know gold has been found all over the Islands and sits #2 in the world for gold reserves. I would like to know about requirements, permits,where to contact for any Geological/Gold maps or production journals,are you allowed to keep the gold,  staking a claim in the Philippines, regions that produced nuggets, etc... I know of one area that produced nuggets and it was placer.

• By metalhound
      The other day I went down to the beach with a friend to kill some time with the detector. I didn't find anything great. Just a several coins. Jokingly I said to my friend "THIS IS A TOP POCKET FIND" and put it in there. Well as we were walking home It got very hot/muggy so I took my shirt off. When I got home and went to take the coins out of my shirt pocket. They weren't there. Well today I went back to the same beach and found 1 of the coins. There should be several more in the same area so I'm going to try to find them with the MD tomorrow. Lesson learned: DON'T PUT YOUR FINDS IN YOUR TOP POCKET UNLESS IT IS SECURED
    • By GotAU?
      For those of you that carry a PLB or EPIRB, I’m not sure which Minelab or PLB and EPIRB models are affected, but there’s an interesting discussion and a Minlelab advisory about accidental activations due to a PLB sitting too close or touching an active coil. Just something to look out for if you carry one when you’re out and about.  They recommend keeping it further away than 10 cm from a active coil.
      https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=35628
    • By havingstl
      I am still need to metal detecting and learning an original tdi.  So lately I have been experimenting with the different controls and how they affect the machine. 

I read some instructions that mentioned running the gain at the point that the threshold remained steady and did not waiver. This typically leaves me with a gain of 3 or 4.  Does this sound right or am I missing something?
    • By AUgetter
      I will be retiring in 3 months...yaaaa hoooooo!  I have been detecting for relics for about 2 years.  I plan on buying a new or used Minelab detector in the next couple of months and trying my hand at gold detecting. I will be roaming around in a custom 5th wheel set up I've been working on for the past year.  My question is, how advantageous would it be for me to take gold detecting training from a store I buy from or from a private party that offers it?