Anyone Using The Detech Butterfly Sef Or Ultimate Coil?

I am looking at getting an after market coil for the MXT. Has anyone tried one of the Ultimate or SEF coils by Detech on their unit and if so which model and size did you get and how much of an improvement was it compared to the stock coil??

image.jpeg
Detech 13" DD Ultimate coil for V3i, VX3, M6, MX5, and all MXT models

• Like 3

I had an ultimate 13 coil on my mxt  and used it for a couple years. it is extremely light weight and stable. I had no problem detecting 10" coins with it.  I would highly recommend it. 

• Like 3

Although i dont use them on a MXT i do use SEF 8x6 and SEF12x10 coil on my DFX which is basically the same machine as the MXT,how do i rate them i rate them pretty high have used them for many years with great success.I also use a SEF 12x10 and SEF 15x12 on my T2 which once again perform extremely well.

Very reliable and especially the larger 15x12 coil is spot on pinpointing which is unusual for a larger coil,i also use the larger 18'' Detech coil on the DFX which although is not a SEF coil but i dont rate that one all that much,it is very deep on large orange size targets and above but the SEF range certainly get my vote.

• Like 3

I have used Detech Ultimate and SEF coils on several brands including the Whites M6, MX5, DFX, V3i and MX7. They are an upgrade for the Whites 10" DD coil and even for the 10X5 DD Eclipse coil in my opinion. Much better target separation, ID, ground mineralization handling, depth and general detector response. They were great on the FTP detectors I used them on too.

• Like 3

13" Ultimate is my favourite mid to large VLF coil by far!   You can't go wrong I'm sure.  Holds target ID's to depth on my Gold Bug Pro.  Great weight, feels so light.

• Like 2

Have the Ultimate 13" along with several other coils for my Etrac.  Rarely use it but nice to have when the situation rises to use it. Very lightweight and performs well, no real depth improvement over Minelab stock 11" coil.  I did recover several deep Barber dimes on edge in a location I'd hit several times before with other coils and I believe the Ultimate might have been the reason why I got them...???  Doubt you'd regret the Ultimate 13.....jmo

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your input. I am kind of leaning toward the ultimate as it is more of the traditional shape. I had a V3I once and I just did not click with that machine. I wound up with a large SEF coil for it too and tried it out. Due to the fact I did not click with the V3i I did not give the coil a chance.

I saw a video I believe by Kieth Southern on youtube last night and he had an MXT with the whites 6X10 DD coil and an 8X6 DD coil. He did a test with a nickel under an old clay brick. The whites coil would null out over the old brick because of the minerals content in it. THE sef coil saw the nickel right through the brick. I thought that was pretty amazing. I thought highly of the 6x10 white DD coil made by whites and was possibly looking to get another one. However after watching that video that got me to thinking  and that is why I made this thread.

Thanks for your input!!

• Like 1

The 6x8 "SEF coil is currently the best coil you can buy for the MXT ... because it combines 3 excellent features: Excellent Sensitivity ., Surprising depth of detection-with good ID.,.... And Good separation ..
  Another bonus is the low weight of the coil -400 grams ...

13 "ultimate is also a deep coil, with a good ID..with a low% probability of iron ..... and a surprising sensitivity to very small and deep targets .. in the middle of the coil ..... is better than a 10" DD Whites coil , or 12x10 "SEF coil ...

At first I didn't want to believe it ... but since I have a 13 "Ultimate coil on the G2, I already believe it ...

Ultimate coil is one of the lighter 13" coils in its category ..

• Like 4

Great post,

You all are getting me more excited about the goodies i have coming soon!

For the G2+: An Ultimate 13" and a Nel Snake 6.5 x 3.5 (Simon's Recommendations!)👍👍

For the MXT ProAn Ultimate 13" and an Ultimate 7"

I resisted buying any more coils for the Nox 800, because i wanted a better selection, or aftermarket one's! But it appears that ML will not ever make them, or allow anyone else to either!  (800 traded away now!)👋

But I'm excited to try out the new detectors and coils! Talk about a kid in a candy store!🍭 I even got a $100 gift card, and a free digging tool with the coil order! Not too bad! (MetalDetector.com)!

I will post updates under my post "A Tail of Two Detectors✌", as i experiment with these new combinations!! Wish me Luck!!👍👍

**And one more thing!!  If anyone can help me find someone who makes or sells a multi-piece dust cover for the MXT Pro, it would be very much appreciated! I've been looking all over for one!! I've only seen ONE out of the Ukraine, and it would take about 2 months to get here!! And didn't have a visor!!

• Like 4
15 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

Ultimate coil is one of the lighter 13" coils in its category ..

I always pay attention to your posts, El Nino77.  You definitely know your stuff!  The way you wrote this (I realize there could be loss in translation or maybe you were just being cautious) it sounds like the Ultimate 13" has competition in terms of being lightweight.  Any examples?  I have one on my Fisher F75 and it's my go-to coil for that detector.  It amazes me how lightweight it is.

I'm glad to hear this coils works well for the MXT since I bought my sister an Ultimate for hers.  Unfortunately due the pandemic I've been unable to take it to her, and even more unfortunate is that she can't get out to her club's relic recovery sites for group hunts since that activity is curtailed as well.  😪

• Like 1