What Do You Do

you share it to encourage those of us that haven't found as much cool stuff.

• Like 2

I gave a few rings/jewelry away, both gold and silver, and sold a couple (I was after only OLD coins). Sold all my old tokens for $300 to a collector, cleaned clad got run thru the banks and exchanged for paper, and I'm about ready to sell 200 detected mercs and rosies that are common dates and not worthy of going in my collection (got bunches in there already). Also might sell my 3-legged Buffie which is the only truly rare old coin I've ever dug....?

Into gold now and getting older so it's time to thin out some stuff that no longer holds my interest much?  It's also nice to reap some financial reward from the hobby even tho all my past and present machines have more than paid for themselves several times over.

Bottom line...sell some of your stuff that now longer holds your interest?  Nice collection(s) you have there!!!!!

• Like 2

That's a Great collection!! WOW! 

Unless it's Gold or Silver it goes, then the silver gets melted. I hate to say it but I give away stuff like that. One has a grandson that loves finding it in grandpa's yard...then some I return so others can find it...the stuff can add up so much the kids will just trash it..or give it away. My two girls know I keep the gold only so trying to make it easy on them...

Very cool is a club member is up in his 80's and he has seeded hunts with his relic's, no charge to club members. One way to send it out for those who have no experience finding some of the kool things he has..

• Like 4

I used to sell tokens and and other collectibles on-line. You probably have some pretty desirable pieces there.

• Like 2

Yes Wow,

Impressive collection! 

I'm now entering a stage in my life where i really want to start shedding stuff I've collected, and held on to, for way too long! I'm hoping to be moving within the next year, and i need to shed much that i no longer have a need, or attachment for! I'm sure i will feel less stress, when i finally get this ongoing process accomplished! 👍👍

• Like 2

More valuable jewelry it might be worth getting it appraised. Can be a huge difference in price than scrap weight.

Impressive collection.

About a year before I retired, I started getting rid of a lot of stuff.  I sold 6 or 7 detectors at really good prices just to find them a new home.  My CW relics, I gave to a good friend who is also a film maker, author and collector.  Since most of my CW relics came from the areas that he had written about or filmed, they meant some to him.  He deals with relics and books too, so I told him that what he doesn't want and decides to sell, I get half.  LOL

I gave one of the clubs that I belonged to, 6 or 8 boxes of books that they could either have as club library or raffle off at club meetings.  My detecting buddy got all of the relics that he had express to me in the past that he really liked.  Another friend got all of my research stuff as well as all of my Indian Heads, wheat cents, nickels and coins that he liked to collect.  I had sold off a lot of silver coins a few years back so I didn't have that many and kept them.  Gold I also kept and with the price of spot gold now, that was a good move.

So basically I did what made me feel good.  I knew my kids could care less about my "treasures", so I placed them with someone who would appreciate them which in turn made me feel good.

So my advice is to place them where it pleases you most and be good with that.  You can never please everyone but you can please yourself.

Just my 2¢,

Joe  

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Allen in MT said:

Hundreds and hundreds of keys and tokens. this is just some of my finds over the years.

You have a lot of history there.  It could be 'documented' with a note of some sort.  You know about when and where you found them which will add value.  It could all add up to many thousands of $$ and enjoyment for a collector.

It may be a tedious task but no one else can do it.  I would suggest making a 'split' with one of your younger relatives.  They post it online and they 'split' the money with you.  Maybe they get it all or ...

While they are doing this they will learn about you, the family and have a money making hobby/business.

I see history thrown away in our alley dumpsters and given to Salvation Army every day.  If it had a 'story' it would be of much greater value to the right person.