Anyone Use A DeepTech Vista X ?

I have a Vista X and am really enjoying it. I mostly use it to hit old house sites (some demolished, some not) and am looking for both coins and relics. Have had good luck doing that by going slow and using the 5.75" coil, even in places that others have hunted. I can't comment on how the stock 11x9.5" coil does, since it's too big for my liking for most of the places I hunt.  DeepTech now has an 8x6.5" coil available which seems like a great all-round size. I'm planning to pick one up.

The things I don't like about the X are pretty minor: the battery pack can be tricky to insert or remove if using rechargeables, since those tend to be thicker than alkalines. The external speaker is on the underside of the control box and so can get dirty; I've covered mine with tape since I always use headphones anyway.  There are two toggle switches that perform the same functions... I think just one toggle in the middle of the shaft would have been better. 

For strictly cherry-picking, I'd probably choose a screen machine over the X. But around here, most of the obvious cherries have already been picked and you need to work a little harder to find the ones that remain.  The X is great for that.  It has a much wider discrimination range than the earlier DeepTechs, meaning that you can knock out modern trash if you want to. The caveat is that some masked good targets might get missed as a result.  But that's true of any machine. 

-Ken

• Like 5

Try the lithium ion rechargables, they are exactly the same dimensions as alkaline aa's. I use them in my Tejon. Dual disc machines you need to make several passes for cherry picking but are pretty efficient as your not listening to so many targets at once. Flick for quick junk check and move on. Do get a little tricky with can slaw though but that is true with any machine.

• Like 2

By all accounts ... Vista X is designed as a deep detector ... and more or less is situated in the US detection condition ..and 2D or 2.5D separation..

Vista Gold Gain 30khz is more designed for detection in European detection conditions ..and is really deep at 30khz .. and 2D or 3D-deep separation...

For Vista X and Vista Gold Gain 30khz detectors, the "Iron Volume" in  low setting .... is super effective in separating ...

• Like 1

Years ago, i had the Vista Gold. It had very telling audio. After some use, I was able to tell alot of trash from coins, just by the fuzziness or clarity of the audio.   Is the audio pretty much the same on the X?  thanks for your responses!

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 10:03 PM, Redneck said:

Years ago, i had the Vista Gold. It had very telling audio. After some use, I was able to tell alot of trash from coins, just by the fuzziness or clarity of the audio.   Is the audio pretty much the same on the X?  thanks for your responses!

I've never used a Vista Gold, so can't make a direct comparison. However, after about 25 hours using the X, I am starting to recognize the different sounds it makes over different targets. Coins and other symmetric objects tend to give a fairly short, "tight" response, while unevenly-shaped junk gives a longer, more ill-defined sound. Bottle caps, even at low discrimination, often give a low tone right at the end of the signal (as the coil moves off them) which is a good clue that they're not the desirable targets they're claiming to be 🙂

-Ken

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
On 9/17/2020 at 6:51 PM, Redneck said:

Thanks Kitz, thats the answer I was looking for. Lots of nuances in the audio.  I just placed an order for the X. I need a good " in the iron" machine.  Also getting the 6 x 8 and 14".

Wanting to know how well you & the Vista X are doing. I have really enjoyed mine in similar sites as you mentioned.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/29/2021 at 11:16 AM, JCR said:

Wanting to know how well you & the Vista X are doing. I have really enjoyed mine in similar sites as you mentioned.

Me also.

• Like 1