I have a Vista X and am really enjoying it. I mostly use it to hit old house sites (some demolished, some not) and am looking for both coins and relics. Have had good luck doing that by going slow and using the 5.75" coil, even in places that others have hunted. I can't comment on how the stock 11x9.5" coil does, since it's too big for my liking for most of the places I hunt.  DeepTech now has an 8x6.5" coil available which seems like a great all-round size. I'm planning to pick one up.

The things I don't like about the X are pretty minor: the battery pack can be tricky to insert or remove if using rechargeables, since those tend to be thicker than alkalines. The external speaker is on the underside of the control box and so can get dirty; I've covered mine with tape since I always use headphones anyway.  There are two toggle switches that perform the same functions... I think just one toggle in the middle of the shaft would have been better. 

For strictly cherry-picking, I'd probably choose a screen machine over the X. But around here, most of the obvious cherries have already been picked and you need to work a little harder to find the ones that remain.  The X is great for that.  It has a much wider discrimination range than the earlier DeepTechs, meaning that you can knock out modern trash if you want to. The caveat is that some masked good targets might get missed as a result.  But that's true of any machine. 

-Ken

• Like 3

Try the lithium ion rechargables, they are exactly the same dimensions as alkaline aa's. I use them in my Tejon. Dual disc machines you need to make several passes for cherry picking but are pretty efficient as your not listening to so many targets at once. Flick for quick junk check and move on. Do get a little tricky with can slaw though but that is true with any machine.

• Like 2

By all accounts ... Vista X is designed as a deep detector ... and more or less is situated in the US detection condition ..and 2D or 2.5D separation..

Vista Gold Gain 30khz is more designed for detection in European detection conditions ..and is really deep at 30khz .. and 2D or 3D-deep separation...

For Vista X and Vista Gold Gain 30khz detectors, the "Iron Volume" in  low setting .... is super effective in separating ...

• Like 1

Years ago, i had the Vista Gold. It had very telling audio. After some use, I was able to tell alot of trash from coins, just by the fuzziness or clarity of the audio.   Is the audio pretty much the same on the X?  thanks for your responses!

• Like 1
On 9/12/2020 at 10:03 PM, Redneck said:

Years ago, i had the Vista Gold. It had very telling audio. After some use, I was able to tell alot of trash from coins, just by the fuzziness or clarity of the audio.   Is the audio pretty much the same on the X?  thanks for your responses!

I've never used a Vista Gold, so can't make a direct comparison. However, after about 25 hours using the X, I am starting to recognize the different sounds it makes over different targets. Coins and other symmetric objects tend to give a fairly short, "tight" response, while unevenly-shaped junk gives a longer, more ill-defined sound. Bottle caps, even at low discrimination, often give a low tone right at the end of the signal (as the coil moves off them) which is a good clue that they're not the desirable targets they're claiming to be 🙂

-Ken

• Like 2

Thanks Kitz, thats the answer I was looking for. Lots of nuances in the audio.  I just placed an order for the X. I need a good " in the iron" machine.  Also getting the 6 x 8 and 14".

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Cody
      Finding hidden or lost items is my favorite hobby during free-time. I use bounty hunter for detecting. Last week, when I was cleaning the basement, I found a mining instrument, an overhauser magnetometer. My brother might have left it there. He is an Archaeologist. When I read about it, I understood that, it can be used for detecting gold mineral. Does anyone here heard of finding treasures of stuffs with a magnetometer?  
    • By George1971
      Hello everybody, does anyone have information about this brand (Deteknix) and his metal detectors (Quest)? Has anyone test it and are there any opinions about the detectors? It is not at Steve’s data base. Thanks.

• By Sven1
      By nature I like to improve things for the better. I took a real liking to the Bliss V5 but, it needed something.
      Decided to replace the scratchy GB pots. Fine adjust pot is bad between 3 and 7, worn carbon wiper inside. Replacing with RV6 precision mini pots.
      I was going to use a 10 turn for Coarse pot. That idea was shelved as they don't make them in the 500R ohm range. Both pots will be single turn.

What I clued in on awhile back and then saw some one mention on a forum regarding the Gain pot. For the most part you don't need to set it higher than 2. And would like the 0-2 or 3 range spread out further. That was my thought as well. So I will be replacing the linear pot with an audio taper pot. It spreads out the range over half the pot rotation, super fine tunes the lower numbers. I will be measuring out the spread between the linear and audio pots to see the exact spread.

The V5 is now open and taken apart. Will have it ready this weekend.

Will also see if there are any other improvements that can be made....

I did make a very positive s-handle mod. The angle of the handle was a bit too steep, it would tend to bother my bad wrist after awhile. Not enough so I could not keep detecting.
      The most comfortable s-handle I found was the White's Space Saver (What they call it). Which I have used for all my Pi builds. With a bit of muscle power, bent the Blisstool s-handle to match. This little mod, that didn't cost a penny made a huge difference. Search coil 7x9", balances just about perfect, and now has a wonderful feel about it.
      ===============================================================================================
      Update
      Made the Coarse and Fine GB pot changes to precision pots. Big difference. The usual cheap carbon pots used like most detectors had poor resolution as you turn the control. I watched on the voltmeter, when you rotate the Blisstool pot, a slight movement jumps the settings about 10 points, you you will never get precise GB setting. That's why trying to GB is very touchy. With the new precision pots a slight rotational movement of 1 point increase in settings can be made. This should definitely help out manually ground balancing, getting a spot on GB.

Second change was the Gain control. I switched the Blisstool cheap pot with another basic carbon Alpha brand pot (Tesoro, etc. used them). Instead of replacing it with an identical "Linear' taper pot, it was replaced with an "Audio" taper pot. Since most will run around 2 or 3 on the dial. The rest of the rotation is wasteful. With the new pot orig Gain setting from 0-3 is now spread across 0-6. You can now dial in more precise Gain where you need it. Then ramps up closer to the orig. pot. Also shows a bit more added Gain at 10(max).
      Thinking some of the other controls might benefit from switching to a precision pot or an Audio Taper pot. For those that have a Bliss in the closet gathering dust, some easy modes might just make the Bliss owner a more happy user.

Hoping to get out with the V5 Sunday afternoon for a test run

• By Steve Herschbach
      Latest technology molecular frequency discrimination device, detects gold up to 1/4 mile away. Weighs less than a 1/2 pound, requires no batteries, fully weatherproof, and $9974 less than a GPZ 7000.
      I could not find a t-shirt I liked at the Mesa Gold Show so just had to have these!

• By N7XW
      Here is a machine I have not heard of before:
      http://www.metaldetector.com/drs-ground-exper-metal-detector?awt_l=3I64Qc&awt_m=K4CvxdoyBVWfZf
      It looks interesting but does it really work?  I haven't even heard of the company before.  Anyone have any info on this?  There are quite a few videos which I haven't watched yet - but will.
      Just thought I would throw it out there for discussion.

• By Sven1
      Picked this V5 up from a friend in the US. One of those brand detectors I had an eye on before folks in the US got wind of them. At the time they were the V3 version. Think I was the first to post about them before someone took interest in them and decided to bring them over. Which created lots of drama for a number of years before vanishing. When offered the V5, I did not hesitate, may not get another chance as they don't seem appear on the market. Was up for the challenge see if I can get this machine to perform.
      ---------------------------------------------------------
      Using the Bliss V5 with the 7x9 coil.
      Took it out to my favorite soccer field with a running track this morning. Got wet a bit. Knew they had a sprinkler system, never knew it actually worked. Found out it does. Every 20 minutes another three start up and the previous three shut down. They circle the field twice.  So I set the Bliss up like my bench test. Did a manual ground balance, so easy took a minute, piece of cake. Guess a 10 turn GB pot won't be needed after all. Took all of about 40 minutes to get used to it. Stable, smooth....Have to say it felt like I used this detector for a long time. Just felt like all the beep and digs I have used wrapped up into one. Just a heck of a lot deeper!!! For the most part only had to adjust threshold a bit now and then, damp and dry dirt. And at one point had some EMI, not bad but, it was there. All I did was adjust the frequency up a bit and drop the Threshold a tiny bit. I was ready to dig a lot of trash and figuring my knee was going to pay for it later. Really surprised that I found very little trash, it was there, could hear. It was easy to tell the canslaw, iron, nails from coins just listening to the duration and sharpness of the target signal. Easy to size a target. Setting the Disc level and Disc depth at the particular setting and using the three position disc toggles, really worked great. Hunt in #3, if I get a a breakup signal, will check in #2, if it double blips or breaks up, really don't have to dig it. Will now dig if its  a very tight signal break up, found it could be a very deep Can. clad coin. I do switch to #2 to take another look at the target, if the signal is good in #3 and good in #2, from what was dug today, its a good target. Appears that the disc target is kind of a notching, each # has a different target acceptance width to it. In a weird way, kind of reminds me how I used the DeepTech Vista X with the two disc controls, standard and alternate in conjunction with adjustable two tone disc control. Even thou the Blisstool V5 is a single tone detector, it does give a lot of target information. Pinpointing was a little iffy at first, using the Makro PulseDiver Pinpointer was needed to zoom in on the target. Later in the hunt, was able to pinpoint with the coil almost dead center on top of the target. The PulseDive pinpointer made locating the target even easier. Couple notes about the Bliss and the pinpointer, had to keep the coil far away from it. It would cause EMI. Did not make an attempt to change the PD frequency as I was too busy having fun. Second note, the headphones I was using pretty well muffled the audio from the PD. So it was switched to vibrate mode, found I really like that mode.

Hunted for about 4.5 hours this morning. the sun was out, no wind, and temps approaching high 80's F degrees. Had to stop at that point.
      Dug only 3 pieces of foil, foil rejection was excellent, was thinking to myself, this was just like my Mirage Pi..... Dug some very deep 7" pull tabs and most of the coins came from the 7-8" depth. This is with the Gain set at minimum.
      Think only three coins came from depths less than 7" to about 4".  The Bliss V5 from what I saw today is an excellent Canadian clad machine. Real happy with its performance, feel and balance. Thought about acquiring another Tesoro or possibly some deeper beep and dig, no longer looking. Think the Bliss covers about all my needs and then some as a beeper. Definitely a keeper. And having the 11" and 15" coils and lots more Gain if needed, should make  for a great all around relic detector.
      Didn't find any $1 and $2 coins today, think I already found them all using previous detectors, wasn't expecting to find any.

The Blisstool is now one of those obscure machines you rarely see or hear about these days, too bad so many that bought one sold them pretty early on. Some couldn't wrap their head around how the controls function and work. Then there are those that were able to, found they were excellent detectors with lots of potential and had excellent success with them. Looking forward to using the V5 much more.