Carrot Pin Pointer Question

I hope I am not asking a stupid question here, but I have a question about the carrot pin pointer my grandfather had.

When I was learning his detector, a Equinox 800, I tried to use the pin pointer that he has to find the item that was showing on the detector.

I never got a response until I got within a couple of inches from the item, it turned out to be a dime from the 1930's.

What is the usual range of these pin pointer carrots, and is this one working properly if I had to be that close to the dime.

I really want to learn this equipment so I can use it properly.

Thank you Caleb

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, phrunt said:

This will give you a bit of an idea.

Thanks for the video as it really helped me understand more about how it works. I don't know what the settings are or how to do them, but I will find some instructions on it.

Thanks a lot for that information and I will let you know how I do in the future.

Caleb

Usually what i do is once i have roughly located the target ie the coil gives the signal i then do the 'draw back; method i gradually draw the coil back while its still beeping and when it stops 'its' usually right in front of the coil and almost all the time its bang on target.......possibly not 100% accurate.........other folks may do it differently but it works very well for me on all my machines.

Pinpointers are just that for pinpointing the target for the quick final location,but dont dig straight down as you could damage a high value find,worth going to one side and digging so you dont risk damaging the find..........of course of you are a nugget hunter then that does not matter as these folks use a pick axe and i guess it does not matter if a find gets hit 🤣

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RickUK said:

of course of you are a nugget hunter then that does not matter as these folks use a pick axe and i guess it does not matter if a find gets hit

Rick: Damn oath it matters! 

Always dig around the target location with the pick, using the pointy end to prise up the centre part. That way nothing gets hurt and the piece remains collectable.

Some friends and I once dinged a lovely 30 oz piece digging in the dark -

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

but I will find some instructions on it.

They have some very clear YouTube's on how to use it and how to change the sensitivity etc.

• Like 1

Caleb,

Commit this to memory:

There are no stupid questions on this forum!!

If anyone says any different, Steve H., and the rest of us will make sure that person know's better, soon after!!  Everyone here is at different levels of experience! And any egos should be left at the forum doorway!!👍👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

This will give you a bit of an idea.

I think this video is helpful to answer Caleb's question.  I don't think it's a good comparison of depth capability of these for multiple reasons.

1) Is that the best the N/M can do?  I sure hope not.  I would lose confidence in their products if they sold something with that poor of performance.

2) My Garrett Carrot does better than 2 inches for a USA quarter in air.  (It's out in the vehicle right now.  I'll pull it out later and give you a number.  Ditto for my TRX.)

3) I love the TRX, but who in the hell would call that a signal?  Both my Carrot and TRX are known to false.  There's no way I would conclude what he shows is in any way an indication that there is a USA quarter 3.25 inches from the tip of a pinpointer based upon that kind of response.

Apparently I'm a tough grader when it comes to comparisons.  I do appreciate people going to the effort.  But sometimes that's all I can appreciate.

• Like 1

Caleb,

Pinpointing with the 800; or any detector, takes some practice! The same applies to pinpointers! You have the right attitude to learn! It's just a matter of putting in the time! Your grandfather left you some solid equipment; don't let it rattle you! And remember, there are no stupid questions!

And congrats on the old dime! Post a pic!!👍👍

• Thanks 1