White's Electronics Out Of Business

Whites Electronics stop operation in June of this year. Based on conversations with representatives, Whites is looking for a buyer and contemplating other options.  For all practical purposes, they are currently not in business. Visiting White's web site, you will notice they have nothing in stock. I seriously doubt they will not debut any new detectors in the near future. It breaks my heart. I think most of us in the detecting hobby saw this coming. I don't understand why White's didn't. They let themselves get woefully behind  the 8 ball in the gold detecting arena. The GMT is still there best machine. The TDI, first generation design PI machine, is a MAJOR disappointment hunting gold in a highly mineralized desert.  All you beach hunters and relic hunters will enjoy this machine but it is  lousy at picking up small gold. I was so hoping Whites would have come up with a PI machine at least as effective as the GPX 4500, which I own. The reality is that the whites GMT is still their best Gold finding machine, not the TDI and not the 24K (me too VFL)  with the added wingdings that don't make it go any deeper. Dammit Whites............This breaks my heart after all these years.  Please come back stronger without some large corporate or foreign buyer.😥

• Like 1

Lots of good points. I actually liked the Goldmaster V/sat better than the GMT. A few guys I trust said the Goldmaster 3 was even better.

Thought the 24 K was a pretty decent VLF ......when developing a Good Nugget PI you need lots of long Term Engineering team work ......Something Whites had problems with........ Hope they make a Fast U turn. 

I have just resurrected my DFX and the 10x6 coil again are it went into retirement after nearly 15 years of use as when i started using my Deus 8 years ago and Nox 15 months ago my finds rate dropped like a brick,they still have found me some nice finds dont get me wrong but not as consistent as say my DFX and my other all time favourite the original T2.

I have 3 other Whites machines including a TDI Pro which if i am honest dont get used as much,the TDI Pro i would class as brand new i highly doubt that anyone could tell the difference from one that had just come off the production.

So although they dont and i highly doubt that they will start up again the DFX is still one of my favourites and will be used with the T2 gain as the 2 main machines,and i suspect my finds rate will also rise up again. 

• Like 3

RickUK ... do you have any information about Whites detector fixes for Europe ...?

I think this question will be of interest to many detectors here in Europe,,,,,

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, EL NINO77 said:

RickUK ... do you have any information about Whites detector fixes for Europe ...?

I think this question will be of interest to many detectors here in Europe,,,,,

As i understand it and i cannot grasp why,but as we are all aware that Whites US is basically finished or may be reincarnated by another concern,but Whites UK up in Scotland as far as i can tell are still repairing all what was the current line up and i guess they still could carry some spares for older models but once they have exhausted what stock they have and for how long they can carry on no one has any idea.........so Scottish plant is still open.

• Like 1

RickUK ..Thank you for the good information.....👍, because several colleagues asked me how it will be from the repair at our place in Europe ... So now I'm happier ....:smile:

On 9/8/2020 at 12:14 PM, PopeyePapa said:

Whites Electronics stop operation in June of this year. Based on conversations with representatives, Whites is looking for a buyer and contemplating other options.  For all practical purposes, they are currently not in business. Visiting White's web site, you will notice they have nothing in stock. I seriously doubt they will not debut any new detectors in the near future. It breaks my heart. I think most of us in the detecting hobby saw this coming. I don't understand why White's didn't. They let themselves get woefully behind  the 8 ball in the gold detecting arena. The GMT is still there best machine. The TDI, first generation design PI machine, is a MAJOR disappointment hunting gold in a highly mineralized desert.  All you beach hunters and relic hunters will enjoy this machine but it is  lousy at picking up small gold. I was so hoping Whites would have come up with a PI machine at least as effective as the GPX 4500, which I own. The reality is that the whites GMT is still their best Gold finding machine, not the TDI and not the 24K (me too VFL)  with the added wingdings that don't make it go any deeper. Dammit Whites............This breaks my heart after all these years.  Please come back stronger without some large corporate or foreign buyer.😥

Welcome to the forum. Yes, this was discussed at very great length in multiple threads back in June, like this one. Sadly, there is nothing now months later that indicates White’s is anything other than dead and gone.

• Sad 1
23 hours ago, PopeyePapa said:

... Whites would have come up with a PI machine at least as effective as the GPX 4500, which I own. The reality is ...

that is one of multiple reasons.

Whites was a privately held company. The owner is old. The next generation either was incapable, or unwilling, to take over the company. So, when things got tight, the owner bailed out. I don't see a thing wrong with that, from my perspective. I did the same with my business about 25 years ago, though I did start another.

Jim

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Nokta Detectors
      Dear Valued Members,

We would like to share some exciting news with you!

As you know, Nokta Makro has been growing tremendously, thanks to all of you, over the past few years.

During our growth stage, we believe we have proved that Nokta Makro is a serious player in this industry when it comes to development and innovation.

As the COVID hit the world earlier this year, we felt that as a technology developing company, we have a responsibility and a moral duty towards humanity during these tough times the world is going through.

We knew that we could touch more lives and make them easier if we looked outside the detector industry, our core business.

Today, we are proud to announce that we have established a sister company, Quall, which will focus on medical, industrial and consumer electronics products.

Quall’s R&D development team is totally separate from Nokta Makro engineering and Nokta Makro engineers will continue on developing detectors which will always stay as our core business.

On a separate note, earlier this year, we made a big investment and bought a new factory which will accommodate the production and development of both brands.

Our new facility is 11,000 square meters (118,400 square feet) and is located in one of the prestigious industrial parks in Istanbul. The architects are currently working on the interior design of the building and we are hoping to move to our new building in 2021!

We invite all of you to check out the new website of Quall at www.quall.com where the picture of our new building is also displayed.

Quall’s first product QuallThermo – a non-contact thermometer is approaching the end of its development stage and will be available for sale in a couple of months.

We thank you once again for your support and hope to see you as Quall customers in the future as well as Nokta Makro!

Regards,
      Dilek Gonulay

• By phrunt
      Some time ago I recall Dilek saying Nokta Makro were going to work on a PI detector, well over a year ago from memory, it's that long ago now I guess most have forgotten about it, not me! my ears perked up and I got excited.  I think the market has far too few manufacturers of decent PI machines and with White's collapsing the TDI is now likely to just be part of detecting history, although not ground breaking by any means at least it was another option.    Nokta have great prospecting machines when it comes to VLF's, you need to complete the set and have a PI to go with it.
      First Texas may or may not have a Gold Prospecting PI in the next year or so and it sounds like it will be a decent unit, lightweight, reasonable performance, although they'll have to do something serious to get better battery life, prospectors can't only detect a couple of hours a day 🙂  They've been very slow with their beach version so I expect the Gold version to be a couple of years away at least if it makes it to market, I'm happy to be proven wrong.
      The QED is another PI option on the market but it's really Australia and NZ only.  There isn't a worldwide reach with it.
      So we are really left with Minelab, the Garrett ATX exists, but that's about all it does, not a very popular unit.
      Nokta have access to the worlds market, and if they did eventually release their prospecting PI with their usual aggressive pricing for a high quality unit that actually is very competitive with performance like all other detectors they make they may well be serious competition and take a significant market share of new sales off Minelab quite quickly.
      I'm sure Nokta are aware how big the prospecting detectors market is around the world, a quick peep at Minelab shareholder information can give them a good idea on that.
      So Nokta.....  Is this detector still in the making?  If so, is there anything you can say about it?
      Nokta is well known for listening to their customers, I'm sure customers could give a lot of advice they'd want in a prospecting detector if it is going to be a project Nokta are taking on.
      I guess it's probably at this stage more important to get the Multi Frequency VLF detector out first, we've been waiting on that one for a very long time too with little talk of it in a long time really, since the "naming contest".  I hope that one is still coming too...   Garrett beat you to that one Nokta, although that's debatable with many still preferring the single frequency Simplex over their attempt at multi frequency.
      This is almost all questions for Dilek I guess 🙂 but I'm sure others might want to chime in on their wishes for Nokta Makro to release their new detectors, a PI and a Multi Frequency VLF.
    • By afreakofnature
      https://garrett.com/noticesupdates
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Garrett Announces Acquisition
      Garland, TX, October 16, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Garrett Electronics, a design and manufacturing company specializing in sport and security metal detectors, announced the acquisition of certain assets of White’s Electronics.
      White’s, who had been in business since 1950 as a premier manufacturer of metal detection products, announced the suspension of operations on June 18, 2020 in a memo to its dealers. White’s founders, Kenneth and Olive White, built their business the same way Garrett’s founders, Charles and Eleanor Garrett, did, by innovating and committing to producing high quality products in the United States. White’s current principals, Kenneth R. and Mary White, are choosing to fold the White’s legacy in with Garrett Metal Detectors as a way of extending their “Made in the USA” tradition.
      Garrett CEO Steve Novakovich commented, “The White family and the Garrett family have had a high level of respect for one another as competitors in the sport market for decades. Now we at Garrett are proud to combine our respective legacies as Garrett continues on as the premier American metal detector company.”
      The transaction includes White’s trademarks, intellectual property, tooling, and other assets. It does not include White’s real estate in Oregon or Scotland. Garrett intends to rigorously defend all of White’s trademarks, patents, and other IP wherever infringement may occur.
      Novakovich continued, “Garrett recognizes that the White’s brand has a loyal following in the US and around the world. We are pleased to welcome those customers to Garrett, and we hope we can earn your future business.”
      Current White’s customers in need of repair or warranty service should contact:
      Centreville Electronics
      9437 Main Street
      Manassas, VA 20110
      (888)645-0202
      (703)367-7999
      centrevilleelectronics.net

Centreville Electronics NW
      1550 Maple Place
      Lebanon OR 97355
      (541)409-7263
      centrevilleelectronicsnw.com
      About Garrett Metal Detectors
      Garrett Metal Detectors, co-founded by electrical engineer Charles Garrett and fifth-generation educator Eleanor Smith Garrett, is a global leader in the design and manufacture of metal detection products for hobby, security, and law enforcement applications.. Garrett Metal Detectors’ headquarters and manufacturing facility is located in Garland Texas. Garrett is an International Standards Organization (ISO) 9001:2015 certified company.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Garrett Announces Acquisition
      Garland, TX, October 16, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Garrett Electronics, a design and manufacturing company specializing in sport and security metal detectors, announced the acquisition of certain assets of White’s Electronics.
      White’s, who had been in business since 1950 as a premier manufacturer of metal detection products, announced the suspension of operations on June 18, 2020 in a memo to its dealers. White’s founders, Kenneth and Olive White, built their business the same way Garrett’s founders, Charles and Eleanor Garrett, did, by innovating and committing to producing high quality products in the United States. White’s current principals, Kenneth R. and Mary White, are choosing to fold the White’s legacy in with Garrett Metal Detectors as a way of extending their “Made in the USA” tradition.
      Garrett CEO Steve Novakovich commented, “The White family and the Garrett family have had a high level of respect for one another as competitors in the sport market for decades. Now we at Garrett are proud to combine our respective legacies as Garrett continues on as the premier American metal detector company.”
      The transaction includes White’s trademarks, intellectual property, tooling, and other assets. It does not include White’s real estate in Oregon or Scotland. Garrett intends to rigorously defend all of White’s trademarks, patents, and other IP wherever infringement may occur.
      Novakovich continued, “Garrett recognizes that the White’s brand has a loyal following in the US and around the world. We are pleased to welcome those customers to Garrett, and we hope we can earn your future business.”
      Current White’s customers in need of repair or warranty service should contact:
      Centreville Electronics
      9437 Main Street
      Manassas, VA 20110
      (888)645-0202
      (703)367-7999
      centrevilleelectronics.net

Centreville Electronics NW
      1550 Maple Place
      Lebanon OR 97355
      (541)409-7263
      centrevilleelectronicsnw.com
      About Garrett Metal Detectors
      Garrett Metal Detectors, co-founded by electrical engineer Charles Garrett and fifth-generation educator Eleanor Smith Garrett, is a global leader in the design and manufacture of metal detection products for hobby, security, and law enforcement applications.. Garrett Metal Detectors’ headquarters and manufacturing facility is located in Garland Texas. Garrett is an International Standards Organization (ISO) 9001:2015 certified company.
    • By tboykin
      My spidey sense is tingling. October 16th, 2020. Keep your ear on the threshold.