White's Electronics Out Of Business

PopeyePapa

Whites Electronics stop operation in June of this year. Based on conversations with representatives, Whites is looking for a buyer and contemplating other options.  For all practical purposes, they are currently not in business. Visiting White's web site, you will notice they have nothing in stock. I seriously doubt they will not debut any new detectors in the near future. It breaks my heart. I think most of us in the detecting hobby saw this coming. I don't understand why White's didn't. They let themselves get woefully behind  the 8 ball in the gold detecting arena. The GMT is still there best machine. The TDI, first generation design PI machine, is a MAJOR disappointment hunting gold in a highly mineralized desert.  All you beach hunters and relic hunters will enjoy this machine but it is  lousy at picking up small gold. I was so hoping Whites would have come up with a PI machine at least as effective as the GPX 4500, which I own. The reality is that the whites GMT is still their best Gold finding machine, not the TDI and not the 24K (me too VFL)  with the added wingdings that don't make it go any deeper. Dammit Whites............This breaks my heart after all these years.  Please come back stronger without some large corporate or foreign buyer.😥

• Like 1

Lots of good points. I actually liked the Goldmaster V/sat better than the GMT. A few guys I trust said the Goldmaster 3 was even better.

• Like 1

Thought the 24 K was a pretty decent VLF ......when developing a Good Nugget PI you need lots of long Term Engineering team work ......Something Whites had problems with........ Hope they make a Fast U turn. 

I have just resurrected my DFX and the 10x6 coil again are it went into retirement after nearly 15 years of use as when i started using my Deus 8 years ago and Nox 15 months ago my finds rate dropped like a brick,they still have found me some nice finds dont get me wrong but not as consistent as say my DFX and my other all time favourite the original T2.

I have 3 other Whites machines including a TDI Pro which if i am honest dont get used as much,the TDI Pro i would class as brand new i highly doubt that anyone could tell the difference from one that had just come off the production.

So although they dont and i highly doubt that they will start up again the DFX is still one of my favourites and will be used with the T2 gain as the 2 main machines,and i suspect my finds rate will also rise up again. 

• Like 3

RickUK ... do you have any information about Whites detector fixes for Europe ...?

I think this question will be of interest to many detectors here in Europe,,,,,

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, EL NINO77 said:

RickUK ... do you have any information about Whites detector fixes for Europe ...?

I think this question will be of interest to many detectors here in Europe,,,,,

As i understand it and i cannot grasp why,but as we are all aware that Whites US is basically finished or may be reincarnated by another concern,but Whites UK up in Scotland as far as i can tell are still repairing all what was the current line up and i guess they still could carry some spares for older models but once they have exhausted what stock they have and for how long they can carry on no one has any idea.........so Scottish plant is still open.

• Like 1

RickUK ..Thank you for the good information.....👍, because several colleagues asked me how it will be from the repair at our place in Europe ... So now I'm happier ....:smile:

On 9/8/2020 at 12:14 PM, PopeyePapa said:

Whites Electronics stop operation in June of this year. Based on conversations with representatives, Whites is looking for a buyer and contemplating other options.  For all practical purposes, they are currently not in business. Visiting White's web site, you will notice they have nothing in stock. I seriously doubt they will not debut any new detectors in the near future. It breaks my heart. I think most of us in the detecting hobby saw this coming. I don't understand why White's didn't. They let themselves get woefully behind  the 8 ball in the gold detecting arena. The GMT is still there best machine. The TDI, first generation design PI machine, is a MAJOR disappointment hunting gold in a highly mineralized desert.  All you beach hunters and relic hunters will enjoy this machine but it is  lousy at picking up small gold. I was so hoping Whites would have come up with a PI machine at least as effective as the GPX 4500, which I own. The reality is that the whites GMT is still their best Gold finding machine, not the TDI and not the 24K (me too VFL)  with the added wingdings that don't make it go any deeper. Dammit Whites............This breaks my heart after all these years.  Please come back stronger without some large corporate or foreign buyer.😥

Welcome to the forum. Yes, this was discussed at very great length in multiple threads back in June, like this one. Sadly, there is nothing now months later that indicates White’s is anything other than dead and gone.

• Sad 1

Whites was a privately held company. The owner is old. The next generation either was incapable, or unwilling, to take over the company. So, when things got tight, the owner bailed out. I don't see a thing wrong with that, from my perspective. I did the same with my business about 25 years ago, though I did start another.

Jim

• Like 4