ID Normalization And The HF 9 Inch Coil

bigtim1973

Ok so according to the manual of he deus with the white HF coil the target ID normalization is fixed on and supposedly it will not give you the option of turning it off. 

So yesterday in my test bed on my zinc penny I noticed in 14 khz the ID was 72 to 76.

When I bumped over to another frequency of 31 khz and went back over the zinc penny the ID jumped about 10 segments to 86-88. 

I thought the id Norm was supposed to be fixed on the HF coils????

Am I doing something wrong here?

There is no ID normalization for the HF coils when used with the XP Deus. You can't turn it on or off when using the HF coils, it just isn't an option. This is more proof that the HF coil was designed for the ORX and that the HF coils are still not totally integrated into the software of the Deus.  ID normalization is always on when using the ORX and the HF and X-35 coils.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bigtim1973 said:

Ok so according to the manual of he deus with the white HF coil the target ID normalization is fixed on and supposedly it will not give you the option of turning it off. 

So yesterday in my test bed on my zinc penny I noticed in 14 khz the ID was 72 to 76.

When I bumped over to another frequency of 31 khz and went back over the zinc penny the ID jumped about 10 segments to 86-88. 

I thought the id Norm was supposed to be fixed on the HF coils????

Am I doing something wrong here?

Yes you are reading the manual wrong.  You got it backwards.  There is no option to select ID normalization with the HF coil on Deus.  Target ID for a given target will increase with increased frequency (i.e., ID Norm is off).  You can only choose ID normalization (all target IDs normalized to 18 khz regardless of actual operating frequency) with the legacy LF coils and the X35 coils.

So what you were observing was exactly how the coil is expected to behave - no ID normalization.

The ORX normalizes all target IDs to 18 khz regardless of actual operating frequency and does so for ALL coils, including the white HF coils.

35 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

This is more proof that the HF coil was designed for the ORX and that the HF coils are still not totally integrated into the software of the Deus.

Hadn't heard that conspiracy theory before 🤔 The HF coils were introduced more than a year and a half before ORX (if you ignore the Orx immediate ancestor, the Depar DPR 600 - but that was more like a Deus with only Gold Field, was even compatible with the WS4/5 phones and came with an HF coil).  XP can easily "fix" this with a SW update to Deus, but has chosen not to for whatever reason.  I think it might be the other way around, actually.  The Orx was probably designed around the HF coil even though the coil was initially developed for Deus/Depar.  I think the fact that ID norm is fixed for all coils on Orx is simply a matter of simplification for the end user.  Just another setting the end user doesn't have to fiddle with.  That's my take anyway.

That being said you just might be right, Jeff.  You referred to Orx ID normalization of all coils as "more proof" that the HF coils were designed for Orx. What other evidence do you have that this might be the case.  Cool little tangent I hadn't given much thought.  Thx.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Hadn't heard that conspiracy theory before 🤔 The HF coils were introduced more than a year and a half before ORX (if you ignore the Orx immediate ancestor, the Depar DPR 600 - but that was more like a Deus with only Gold Field, was even compatible with the WS4/5 phones and came with an HF coil).  XP can easily "fix" this with a SW update to Deus, but has chosen not to for whatever reason.  I think it might be the other way around, actually.  The Orx was probably designed around the HF coil even though the coil was initially developed for Deus/Depar.  I think the fact that ID norm is fixed for all coils on Orx is simply a matter of simplification for the end user.  Just another setting the end user doesn't have to fiddle with.  That's my take anyway.

That being said you just might be right, Jeff.  You referred to Orx ID normalization of all coils as "more proof" that the HF coils were designed for Orx. What other evidence do you have that this might be the case.  Cool little tangent I hadn't given much thought.  Thx.

I couldn't remember the name of the Orx predecessor which you correctly identified as the Depar 600. So, I should have said that the HF coils were originally designed for the DPR 600 and the Gold modes on the ORX are based on the Gold Mode from the DPR 600 as is the user interface and display. If it was so easy to make IDs at least always normalized at 18kHz for the HF coils on the DPR 600/ORX one would think at least that the same fixed setting would be easy to do on the Deus especially with the popularity of the HF coils.........Since that hasn't been done and neither has an on/off option, either they have overlooked fixing this for some reason (which I doubt) OR it can't be done because somehow a software/firware design difference between the ORX/DPR600 and Deus prevents it........

6 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Since that hasn't been done and neither has an on/off option, either they have overlooked fixing this for some reason (which I doubt) OR it can't be done because somehow a software/firware design difference between the ORX/DPR600 and Deus prevents it........

That's possible, but I am not sure the Depar has fixed target IDs either.  Cannot find that in the manual.  

The Depar appears to just be a port of the Deus gold modes with everything else disabled, but it has more refined user settings than even the ORX and shares the exact same wireless headphones.  So I doubt there is a software impediment unless the Depar doesn't have fixed target IDs.  They released Deus 5.X software and then the ORX with compatibility with both  the HF and X35 coils AFTER Deus already had that, so that makes me think they were focused on Orx software SINCE release of Deus 5.X and may be holding that ID NORM option for HF coils "fix" for whatever they have up their sleeve next for Deus.  Fun to speculate on all the possibilities.  The fact is, XP hasn't released ANYTHING new in well over a year and a half now except for a backpack!