Burned Out My Retinas

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

yea, I've always found forum default font sizes too big, I normally have my zoom out to 70% to fit more on the pages, I just assumed they make 'em big for people with poor eyesight.  I'd go down to 60% but unfortunately the browser doesn't scale the website to fit, it just shrinks the entire thing.   70% seems right for me.   I like the new version of the forum software.browser like Chrome or Firefox to ensure some safety online when it comes to security.

That might be possible for you "Grasshopper" us senior need a magnifying glass when it is set at 120% 😪 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 6:51 AM, Elbert said:

I know one thing. The upgrades sure don't like Widows 7 with IE 11. I have been viewing the forum since I joined in Dec. 2013 using IE and windows 7. Now I can't post replies or answer PM's plus everything is way over size. Borrowed a computer to post this. Guess I'll just be a read only here. I'm sticking with IE and win 7 because it is still compatible with all  the other forums I visit and its easier for me to navigate back and forth between sites. I know, got to go with progress.

Windows 10 still runs on Internet Explorer 11. Edge is just a new interface to Internet Explorer - not a new browser. If you don't like Edge browser on Windows 10 you can just switch to Internet Explorer 11.

You don't need to download and install Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 10 because it's already installed. To open Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 10, in the search box on the taskbar, type Internet Explorer, and then select Internet Explorer in the list of results.

Legacy equipment might be a little slower than more modern computers but the real problem is the bulk and complexity of Windows 10. Your computer didn't slow down when you installed Windows 10, it's the same speed as it always was. It's just that Windows 10 requires a lot more resources than earlier Windows versions.

Forum compatibility is all about which browser you use. The operating system doesn't matter. Older browsers don't handle complex javascript as well. A lot of websites now run on HTML 5 code and some older (and newer) browsers designed for HTML 1.1 don't do well with pure HTML 5 websites. It's up to the website designer to make sure their code will run on older browsers. Backwards compatibility is not that hard to build in but it is extra work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And just to note - it's not just browsers, but add ons. Ad blockers in particular can be problematic, and many of them are scams in themselves!

There were issues yesterday I am still trying to sort out. There was a server reboot, which corrupted some database files. The site was down for about an hour. I got it looking good now on the front end, but still having some issues with portions only I can see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Oh my! 1