Different Finds....Slag Pours?

bado1

Detected an old ranch that was built in 1926 with my X-Terra 70. I chose the 6"-3kHz coil as it was VERY trashy. My first good signal was a very strong high tone in all directions with the VID #s up in the silver dollar range in the front yard. A large chunk of heavy metal comes out of the hole. I thought it was a chunk of lead, although it was oddly colored for lead, and it rang up higher than lead on the X-Terra. In the pouch it went. My next good target was a 1943-s "War Nickel", then another chunk of heavy metal. Didn't hunt long but I have permission to go back. After I got home I gave the heavy metal chunks a little cleaning and realized that they weren't lead after all.

post-702-0-68024900-1448331277_thumb.jpg

The two chunks after a rinse off.

The larger one just didn't look like old lead and is a dark grey-blue color and is not soft like lead. I dipped it in a liquid metal cleaner and, wow! It came out a nice bright silver color! It turned back to it's original color as it air dried (should have rinsed it off). I took it to the garage to the buffing wheel and briefly hit the edge of it...

post-702-0-27063600-1448331318_thumb.jpg

Buffed up nicely. Weighs 2.70 ounces. Appears to be a silver pour.

The second chunk looks more like a slag/first pour than the first one and is mostly copper mixed with what appears to be silver and possibly some gold...

post-702-0-28959400-1448331338_thumb.jpg

Weighs .50 ounce.

This ranch is just down the road from what was once a bustling copper mining town and is now a ghost town. The mine has recently been re-claimed and the town/mine area is now closed to the public. I'm guessing that the people who lived at the ranch may have worked at the mine and brought these pours  home?  

Dean

• Like 2

cool stuff. especially the second one.