Underwater Camera

mn90403

Here is a video about an underwater camera.  What do people here use?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Here is a video about an underwater camera.  What do people here use?

I tried some "hot cheap deals" with a couple of friends.Unbranded toys from China for the most, with scarce success.

I have an old Intova SP1 probably discontinued and still works fine after 5 years.Batteries are the biggest problem with action camera and if you're next to buy one, choose a model with an easy system to replace it.Also, keep in mind that cheap models can't work fine with big storage microSd cards and that You need lot of GB when shooting quality footages in hd.Consider a realistic price of 100bucks to be in the good range..I don't mention GoPro for multiple reasons...

5 hours ago, Skullgolddiver said:

I don't mention GoPro for multiple reasons...

Curious, what's wrong with GoPro?

They work underwater or out of water so you only need one camera. Small, so no problem to take detecting. Lots of mounting styles available. Great image stabilization. For outdoors stuff they have always seemed like the best option to me but maybe I'm missing out on better options.

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2020 at 4:17 PM, jasong said:

Curious, what's wrong with GoPro?

They work underwater or out of water so you only need one camera. Small, so no problem to take detecting. Lots of mounting styles available. Great image stabilization. For outdoors stuff they have always seemed like the best option to me but maybe I'm missing out on better options.

You're right, if someone talks about action cameras, the first brand to come to mind is GoPro ... But at least for me, the price is still staggering.Over the years the optics of other brands are now certainly able to do the same if not better and the battery often crack on the prettiest for no real reason. There is probably too much speculation in GoPro or little attention to the capacity of the batteries.

The quality of the image alone, doesn't justifies all this to me starting from the price.

I think GoPro match perfectly the iPhone marketing line.Steep price, dozens of models and new models every 8months.Just crazy.

I want a real price for real performance...The brand can even be FartPro😅

• Haha 2

True, but like Minelab detectors and the Chinese detector forgeries, the cheap cameras are mostly just Chinese knockoffs of GoPro, which is probably one reason they are priced higher comparatively. 

A GoPro Black 7 is like $250 right now. Its probably the best all around detecting and prospecting camera I've owned. Image stabilization is a game changer, makes videos so much more watchable. Waterproof without any add on gadgets. Voice control for when hands are full with pick and detector. That's why I was curious if there was something even better now, I got this one and stopped paying attention to new cameras for the last year. 

Maybe I'm just used to outrageously overpriced detectors, because $250 seems cheap to me now. 😄

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jasong said:

Voice control for when hands are full with pick and detector

Yeah, this is something I miss...Unluckily I don't think there's a way to scream a rec. command underwater...I'd like a remote control to push, cause is really hard to start pushing the button when I have it mounted on my mask and without sounds to have an idea of what the camera is doing...Lot of times I've been fooled without records in productive areas, to know it only when out of water...Definitely a pissing fact..