Gold Monster Quick Track / Fast Ground Balance

The original Minelab Gold Monster design simply always ground tracked. You start using it, and it is ground balancing all the time. However, if the mineralization changes a lot, it was a little slow to react. So they added this ability to put it in quick balance mode. Long press the Detect Mode button, the coil symbol flashes, and for a few seconds the ground balance speeds up. Basically it is just a ground grab button. Bill Southern talks about this new function in this video. Like Bill says in the video, most people might never use it,and sure no reason to buy a new machine. It’s a small time saver, nothing more. I’m curious, for those that even know about this, are you actually using it?

minelab-gold-monster-1000-fast-ground-balance.jpg

• Like 9

The Gold Monster has no real operating manual, and so this function is basically unexplained. However, it is identical to what Minelab has done with the SDC 2300. Again, the SDC is always ground tracking. No need to fuss with it. But it does have a “quick track” button that does the same thing the Gold Monster does. This page from the SDC 2300 Manual may help shed light on what the Gold Monster is doing.

minelab-sdc-2300-ground-balance-quick-track.jpg

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Gold Monster Quick Track / Fast Ground Balance

In case people are wondering, this is not a NEW thing. The update that added this happened at the end of 2018, so machines with this function have shipped for almost two years. The Monster has no update capability, so older users can't add this, but I never missed not having it in the first place. Some people complained of overly long times to ground balance, but I did not encounter that personally. But for people that have that issue, this is the fix.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

🙂

If there is one feature I'd like on the GM would be the ability to fix the ground balance when in manual modes.  They could implement that a similar way with the -/+ buttons to select mode, just hold the button in for 10 seconds to fix it.

And ajustable T-Hold would be nice as well :wink: Mike C...:ph34r:

In case people are wondering, this is not a NEW thing. The update that added this happened at the end of 2018, so machines with this function have shipped for almost two years...

Mine was purchased on 1.26.19 and does not have this feature... here's what was found yesterday... small one is first found @ half a grain and second one 25 ft away at 4 grams.

20200912_195005.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

They can't update the old ones

Hello Simon,

Thank you for your email, unfortunately the Gold Monster 1000 are not upgradable so in this instance we are unable to update your detector for you.

The Ground balance in your Gold Monster 1000 will cancel out the same mineralisation levels at the fast track option does in the later models it will just take a little longer for your detector to achieve this (10-30 seconds)

I received the same email. Now a proud owner of a "Slow Monster 1000".

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...