Gold Monster Quick Track / Fast Ground Balance

The original Minelab Gold Monster design simply always ground tracked. You start using it, and it is ground balancing all the time. However, if the mineralization changes a lot, it was a little slow to react. So they added this ability to put it in quick balance mode. Long press the Detect Mode button, the coil symbol flashes, and for a few seconds the ground balance speeds up. Basically it is just a ground grab button. Bill Southern talks about this new function in this video. Like Bill says in the video, most people might never use it,and sure no reason to buy a new machine. It’s a small time saver, nothing more. I’m curious, for those that even know about this, are you actually using it?

minelab-gold-monster-1000-fast-ground-balance.jpg

• Like 7

The Gold Monster has no real operating manual, and so this function is basically unexplained. However, it is identical to what Minelab has done with the SDC 2300. Again, the SDC is always ground tracking. No need to fuss with it. But it does have a “quick track” button that does the same thing the Gold Monster does. This page from the SDC 2300 Manual may help shed light on what the Gold Monster is doing.

minelab-sdc-2300-ground-balance-quick-track.jpg

• Like 4
  • Steve Herschbach changed the title to Gold Monster Quick Track / Fast Ground Balance

Thanks for the information Steve. Haven't tried it yet, but now I will just to see how it functions.

Appreciate the extra efforts you make to educate.

All the best,

Lanny

• Thanks 1

In case people are wondering, this is not a NEW thing. The update that added this happened at the end of 2018, so machines with this function have shipped for almost two years. The Monster has no update capability, so older users can't add this, but I never missed not having it in the first place. Some people complained of overly long times to ground balance, but I did not encounter that personally. But for people that have that issue, this is the fix.

• Like 5

My GM doesn't have it.  The GM has a USB Port inside the battery compartment, it's a shame they never released it as a firmware update seeing it is just a firmware change, perhaps because they made the port a bit tricky to access as it's clearly just for the service guys.

I doubt I'd use it anyway, but I don't like missing out.  Fortunately ground balance isn't much of an issue for me 🙂

If there is one feature I'd like on the GM would be the ability to fix the ground balance when in manual modes.  They could implement that a similar way with the -/+ buttons to select mode, just hold the button in for 10 seconds to fix it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, phrunt said:

🙂

If there is one feature I'd like on the GM would be the ability to fix the ground balance when in manual modes.  They could implement that a similar way with the -/+ buttons to select mode, just hold the button in for 10 seconds to fix it.

And ajustable T-Hold would be nice as well :wink: Mike C...:ph34r:

In case people are wondering, this is not a NEW thing. The update that added this happened at the end of 2018, so machines with this function have shipped for almost two years...

Mine was purchased on 1.26.19 and does not have this feature... here's what was found yesterday... small one is first found @ half a grain and second one 25 ft away at 4 grams.

20200912_195005.jpg

• Like 4

They can't update the old ones

Hello Simon,

Thank you for your email, unfortunately the Gold Monster 1000 are not upgradable so in this instance we are unable to update your detector for you.

The Ground balance in your Gold Monster 1000 will cancel out the same mineralisation levels at the fast track option does in the later models it will just take a little longer for your detector to achieve this (10-30 seconds)

• Like 4
4 hours ago, phrunt said:

They can't update the old ones

Hello Simon,

Thank you for your email, unfortunately the Gold Monster 1000 are not upgradable so in this instance we are unable to update your detector for you.

The Ground balance in your Gold Monster 1000 will cancel out the same mineralisation levels at the fast track option does in the later models it will just take a little longer for your detector to achieve this (10-30 seconds)

I received the same email. Now a proud owner of a "Slow Monster 1000".

• Haha 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Posted by Metal Detecting For Arizona Gold July 4, 2020
      In this video I go out to the Double J claim to gather up some mineralize soil for the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 depth test. I use 7 different Gold Nuggets and conduct the test using Auto 1 and Auto 2.

• By Machineman
      I just picked up my Gold Monster 1000. The first one had a low volume issue and was replaced by the dealer. The second one appears to suffer from bump falsing. This may be due to lack of experience with the machine. I used it for the last 2 days and was able to find some really small gold which is awesome. It did a falsed badly with the small coil and some with the large coil during those 2 days.  I tested it when I got home by holding starting it and ground balancing it in a clear location. Using the small coil. It falsed badly in 10 and 9 less in 7 and 8 and barely in 6.  The issue is not as bad with the large coil.  I then held the small coil up in the air and tested for falsing. The issue was still there but 10 was more like the setting of 7 when grounded.  I moved the cable while in the air and there was no falsing. I used my scoop to tap the coil and cable so my hand wouldn't effect the result. I have generally concluded that the issue is due to high sensitivity setting more than coil or software issues. 
      I would like to verify this by comparing my machine to another.  Some other users could do the same test and see what your results are. This would give us a baseline for what a GM1000 should perform like. 
      Test procedure
      Turn on and balance on clear ground at setting manual 10 or highest possible manual setting with small coil.
      tap coil lightly with scoop or something that wont be detectable.
      Reduce sensitivity until falsing is a non issue.
      Record this setting 
      Then perform same test in the air and record that setting. 
      Post results on this thread
      My results would be Grounded 6. In the air 9 or possibly 10.
      This will obviously vary due to the ground you have and how hard you tap the coil, so the more tests we have the more accurate the data will be. Thanks
    • By JM2855
      All - wondering if any of you out there have any experience with using either of these detectors inside hardrock mines or on hardrock ore, veins, etc.  I recently purchased both of these detectors and I am interested in the discrimination on gold in an old hardrock mine area.  I have found that the Equinox will find arsenopyrite very nicely in samples, and I have found the GM does not respond at all to large chunks of pyrite in samples I have.  However I am interested in discrimination on gold in rock and veins where there are arsenopyrite, pyrite, large amounts of chalcopyrite, lead, zinc, etc.  Anyone with any experiece with the Equinox in prospecting mode sounding off on any of these minerals (besides gold)?  Anyone with experience with the GM 1000 on any of these minerals in Gold non-ferrous mode?  Since some of the veins have extensive pyrite, chalcopyrite and base metals, I was hoping I could discriminate gold from the other elements in some of the hardrock areas and tailings I've come across in my wanderings. Thanks in advance for sharing any thoughts around these detectors on minerals like that in hard rock and how they would likely respond to them.   
    • By Machineman
      I just bought a GM1000 and was under the impression that the external audio is quite loud. Mine is defiantly not. The headphones are loud but not the external. Its brand new and I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping to use it tomorrow but now I think I may have to take it back to the shop.  Kind of takes the excitement out of a new detector. Is this fixable at home? Thanks
    • By flycatch
      When I swing the coil over a target from left to right I get signal return but when I sweep in the opposite direction no signal detected. Is this normal or do I have a defective coil. Both coils that came with the unit do the same thing. This is my first metal detector so I'm not familiar with their technical properties. 
    • By ElkGold
      Hey Team,
      First post, long time lurker. I am right on the brink of buying my next detector. I previously had a GMT w/nugget coil shooter 4x6", which I had dialed in very well, and it detected small good very well. Where I am from everyone uses a GB2, and has good success - they are however hard to find in Canada, and I am leaning towards the 24K/GMX. I like the fact the GMX is waterproof, and I can use it for underwater sniping, as well as never worry about weather and or moisture. It comes with the 6.5" concentric coil, which I have never used, but in my understanding would make it even MORE sensitive then the 4x6" DD coil solution (at the cost of mobility). Do you guys think the new 24K/GMX w/ 6.5" concentric would be a better overall unit for small placer gold then the tried and true Gold Bug 2 w/6.5" coil?
      I don't want to do this twice is possible. The ground I am in is in the East Kootenays of BC, and is not too hot, but does contain some "spicy"  rocks and very jagged bedrock as a platform. Most of the gold I need to detect will need "depth" as utmost importance. It has been picked over very well in the past, and I really need something that will shoot a little better then a hot GB2.
      The GMX platform comes currently w/ the 6.5" concentric, and the 4x6 new DD coil for $1140 CAD all in.
      Would the Gold Kruzer perform equally to the GMX/24K platform? It is about $300.00 cheaper for the entire 2 coil waterproof package. 
      Anyways please try to confirm my belief beyond Steve's signature which says he kept the 24K and got rid of the other VLF's lol. Also Aureus's review of his 24K had me sold when he said he was turning old ground into "new" ground. 
      Cheers! 🙂