Minelab Eq 600 Back From Service

Received my EQ 600 back last week from repair service, they did not indicate what the problem was but, stated they tried my coil and their coil to test and determined the problem was in the Pod.  (note i was getting a CD code then it would turn off, then i got a CD and ER11 code and would turn off)They stated it has been replaced and tested and submerged for water ingress test, passing all test. 

Due to work, I have been unable to try it out, they just opened up our county beaches Tuesday so maybe when I'm off Monday or Tuesday I can give it a go! I also found a good deal on a 15" coil brand new, will test it as well.

I see they have done the upgrade with the 4khz frequency. That started me to think, if Minelab can upgrade my 600 pod to include 4khz. then doesn't it stand to reason they would be able to upgrade my 600 to include either the 20 khz or 40 khz or both frequencies making it a 800? Both are using the same coils, battery, same housing etc. just programing I would think. When I spoke to them on exchanging my 600 that was defective to a 800 I was informed they do not have a exchange program even if you wanted to pay extra for it. Just thinking if its that easy to install another frequency why isn't the 20khz included if most of us are searching for gold rings at least I am. Then the silver hunters would be happy, ring hunters happy as well..oh forgot then you would not buy a 800. silly me!

If I can get out and run a test I will let you know how it goes.

Happy hunting everyone enjoy your weekend!

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Minelab Eq 600 Back From Service

You still have the 20 and 40 khz working for you in multi, just not as a stand alone single frequency.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 1:26 AM, South Padre Treasure said:

That started me to think, if Minelab can upgrade my 600 pod to include 4khz. then doesn't it stand to reason they would be able to upgrade my 600 to include either the 20 khz or 40 khz or both frequencies making it a 800? Both are using the same coils, battery, same housing etc. just programing I would think. When I spoke to them on exchanging my 600 that was defective to a 800 I was informed they do not have a exchange program even if you wanted to pay extra for it. Just thinking if its that easy to install another frequency why isn't the 20khz included if most of us are searching for gold rings at least I am. Then the silver hunters would be happy, ring hunters happy as well..oh forgot then you would not buy a 800. silly me!

That's been the case since Day 1.  We've all known the 600 is essentially a mildly crippled/dumbed down 800 with only minor hardware differences (different LCD screen layout and lack of a user profile membrane switch), with the differences manifested in software.  But still a formidable detector nevertheless.  And yes, if they can add 4 khz, they should be able to add 20 and 40 khz via software if they are so inclined.

You still have the 20 and 40 khz working for you in multi, just not as a stand alone single frequency.

Regarding 20 and 40 khz, as has been noted numerous times in other threads, measurements of the multifrequency spectrums of the various Equinox modes on both the 600 and 800 appear to consist of few if any of the discrete single frequency components (4,5,10,15,20, 40khz).  They consist typically of two (or at most 3) frequencies that are combined to create a low to high frequency spectrum of multi IQ unique to each of the modes.  The best that can be said is that each of the multi IQ spectrums that appear on both the 600 and 800 and, more importantly, how they are processed appears identical.  And yes, even if discrete 20 or 40 khz frequency components don't exist as part of Multi IQ, similar high frequency elements exist as part of the Multi IQ spectrum to provide similar capability. So Cuda is basically right because while you may not have exactly 20 and 40 khz, you have the close equivalent of those frequencies working for you in Multi IQ.  This does not alleviate the fact that there are some circumstances where it is advantageous (high EMI, focus on micro targets) to run 20 or 40 khz single frequency vs. Multi.

So yeah, if you want that capability, you are going to have to pay the premium and get the 800.  That's just business and dealing with ML's tiered features approach to the Equinox product line (a common marketing practice not unique to ML).

Does multi consist of 5, 10,15, 20, and 40 khz - probably not:

• Like 1

Thanks Chase!

That makes sense, I see a lot of beach machines that run the 5khz with the 15khz, such as my Cz20, Cz3d, and I think the new Apex unless I'm mistaken, I suppose those are to make it more stable?

If you use a 20khz with a 5khz or even a 4khz would it be less stable, and is the 20khz better for gold? would it be feasible to make a detector that would have several, two frequencies that could be user picked for choice? Such as option one: 5 and 15khz combined and choice two: 4khz with 20khz? my thinking sometimes kind of warped is if 4khz is picking up silver at deeper depth and with 20khz reading gold better then wouldn't both of those combined cover a silver and gold search? 

You are way more educated in that field than I would ever hope to be, I'm the guy that tries every combination of choices until I find the right combination that gets the job done, not always the most popular sometimes but results are achieved.

• Like 1

Chase and SPT, good discussion that made me wonder if MInelab could create an even more specific user mode such as (ideally old worn) silver coins and relics at salt beaches? Or is this easier done by customizing Beach mode and I missed it?

Regards to you both! Happy hunting.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, South Padre Treasure said:

Thanks Chase!

That makes sense, I see a lot of beach machines that run the 5khz with the 15khz, such as my Cz20, Cz3d, and I think the new Apex unless I'm mistaken, I suppose those are to make it more stable?

If you use a 20khz with a 5khz or even a 4khz would it be less stable, and is the 20khz better for gold? would it be feasible to make a detector that would have several, two frequencies that could be user picked for choice? Such as option one: 5 and 15khz combined and choice two: 4khz with 20khz? my thinking sometimes kind of warped is if 4khz is picking up silver at deeper depth and with 20khz reading gold better then wouldn't both of those combined cover a silver and gold search? 

You are way more educated in that field than I would ever hope to be, I'm the guy that tries every combination of choices until I find the right combination that gets the job done, not always the most popular sometimes but results are achieved.

Apex - Have not seen plots to see what the Apex multfrequency profile looks like.  As far as multifrequency is concerned, it really is not all that important to know what frequency components any manufacturer combines to comprise its multifrequency spectrum.  It is sufficient to know that a multifrequency spectrum is being used.  What is more significant is not the discrete frequencies used, but how those frequencies are being combined during transmission - sequential like the ML FBS machines (eTrac and CTX 3030) or simultaneous like the Equinox and Vanquish and probably the Apex and that the manufacturer is using sophisticated signal processing algorithms to derive the target data.  How the multifrequency target signal is processed is the true secret sauce of multifrequency.  There were some detectors that enabled you to choose which frequencies were combined (I think the Whites V3i).  Most ML detectors and the Apex do not allow you to choose the specific frequency components that comprise the Multifrequency spectrum of the detector.  And, like I said before, it isn't necessary for the end user to have this degree of control over the Multi spectrum.  Equinox is the only late model MF detector that gives you choices on different MF spectrums to apply for specific detecting situations via the choice of the search profile setting (i.e., Park 1, Park 2, Field 1, etc.)

The stability in salt beach hunting is the primary benefit of Multi and is derived from being able to use characterize the salt signal from the way it reacts to the different parts of the frequency spectrum.  This enables the salt signal to be compensated for by the machine, enhancing stability in salt conditions.  On the flip side, multi can be more susceptible to EMI noise perturbations and also the transmit signal power must be optimized to be able to simultaneously transmit multiple frequencies. 

Multi is not a miracle, do it all mode.  There are some things better suited to a single frequency detector, especially where one of several different single frequencies can be selected.  This enables the optimization for specific target types (large/small, high conductive/low conductive) and situations (deep targets or lots of junk targets). 

Some general truisms (as in anything metal detecting related, there are exceptions and your mileage may vary):  use of lower frequencies (e.g., 4 khz) tend to favor larger and higher conductive targets (silver coins) and the signals penetrate deeper into the ground and are generally less sensitive to EMI ane more stable in salt conditions; use of higher frequencies (e.g., 20 khz) can generally resolve smaller targets and excite lower conductive targets better resulting in better separation in high junk conditions are more suited to gold jewelry and smaller items, like gold nuggets and small hammered silver coins, lead and brass targets like minie balls and buttons - but the signals are more highly attenuated by the ground limiting their depth vs. low frequencies.  HTH.

17 hours ago, FloridaSon said:

Chase and SPT, good discussion that made me wonder if MInelab could create an even more specific user mode such as (ideally old worn) silver coins and relics at salt beaches? Or is this easier done by customizing Beach mode and I missed it?

Regards to you both! Happy hunting.

They probably could by manipulating the way they process the target signals but as far as relics and silver coins at salt beaches you are talking two competing target types.  The beach modes are already suited to hit higher conductive targets like silver coins at the beach because they are weighted to lower frequencies.  As far as relics - that is a pretty general term but as a relic hunter, I generally take that to mean lead and brass.  On the surface the beach modes are less suited to those types of targets because of the frequency weighting but that being said, I have been able to hit deep nickels (greater than a foot in salt beach sand) with the beach modes, so I suspect that it can hit relic type targets pretty well.  The fact is, that beach modes have to be weighted towards the lower frequencies in order to provide salt stability.  HTH.

• Like 4

Thanks Chase! Very informative.

• Like 1