Whites Detectors & Garrett Z-lynk / Will This Work?

Hello. Using the forum search didn't bring up a confirmation. So, if this was asked in the past I'm sorry for the repeat.

My question is, will the Garrett MS-3 Z-Lynk wireless kit work with the MXT or DFX? The manual states compatible with nearly any brand; and from detector pro I know they have a special white's switch build in. Anyone using this setup for his White's detector?

1395943209_TheONEMXT.jpg.7a5b3540d2b28294881adf75125c51c1.jpg

Edited by locator
syntax
  • Like 1
  • Steve Herschbach changed the title to Whites Detectors & Garrett Z-lynk / Will This Work?

Garrett Z-Lynk employs a transmitter box and as such will work with any detector with the correct adapter. There is nothing special about White’s audio output. The Detectorpro switch is not a “White’s” switch, it is a stereo / mono switch. Some detectors put out mono, some stereo, and you need to be properly matched in that regard. Many detector headphones have a stereo / mono switch for this reason. Most White’s detectors have stereo output.

Only Minelab to my knowledge uses non-standard wiring to ground and shut off the external speaker on some of their models.

Long story short, for any audio system not working properly, acquiring and using the correct mono to stereo adapter (or vice versa) will almost always do the trick.

Just a reminder.... Z-Lynk is proprietary and will not work with standard Bluetooth headphones.

Z-Lynk Manual

Compatibility
• Z-Lynk can be used with both VLF and pulse metal detectors.
• These modules can be paired with any Garrett wireless-enabled device. This wireless system is nearly universal, designed to work with almost any brand of metal detector and almost any wired headphone.

click images below for larger versions...

Garrett Z-Lynk Wireless Audio System
garrett-z-lynk-wireless-system-1.jpg
garrett-z-lynk-wireless-system-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will add the Quest Wirefree Mate should also work, I've used it on all of my detectors.  It's worked on my Minelabs too, works on my GM1000 and GPX 4500.  It even works on my QED and the QED is very fussy with audio.

Its home is on my Gold Bug Pro.

It just passes whatever signal though it receives from your detector to your existing headphones.

• Like 3

And I’ve got the TaoTronics low latency Bluetooth for my White’s. Any matched set of transmitters and receivers will work on almost any device. That’s kind of the entire point of using a transmitter box.

• Like 3

@Steve Herschbach - Thank you for your responses and the clarification about the switch.

@phrunt - Thank you for your response, too.

I'll keep all your good advice in mind and have to read some more about wireless HP before I decide what to use.

On 9/12/2020 at 10:11 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

And I’ve got the TaoTronics low latency Bluetooth for my White’s. Any matched set of transmitters and receivers will work on almost any device. That’s kind of the entire point of using a transmitter box.

Hello Steve.

Yesterday the TT low latency Bluetooth arrived and a set of BT headphones. Works great on my MXT. Mounted the BT-TR with Scotch dual lock to the MXT so I can swap detectors very easy. Thank you a lot for your advice.

• Like 1

Agree with the Simon......the Quest Wirefree works perfectly with my Whites MX7 and XL Pro.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By phrunt
      One of the things that always bugged me with the GPX was it didn't have an internal speaker.  Once you make a little Lipo battery setup for it the detector becomes a pretty good cordless detector if you use something like the Quest Wirefree setup to give you cordless headphones but if you want a speaker instead of headphone it gets more complicated.  The Lipo battery setups generally don't have an amplifier and because you're no longer using the stock Minelab battery with built in Amp you're stuck with headphones or using an aftermarket Amp like the SP01 or B&Z which then ads cords back onto your cordless setup.
      I'd modified a Logitech X-50 Speaker to have a mount or my GPX and it worked well.

This is a modified X-50 where I added a shaft mount.  It's downside is it sticks out the side of the shaft and is prone to bumping it on things.
      Now I've been advised of a better option, the JBL Wind.

Designed for bike handlebars it sits over the shaft facing upwards so good for the audio pointing towards your head 🙂  It also lasts 10 hours of detecting.
      Specifications:
      Splash Proof Portable Bluetooth speaker for motorcycles, bicycle and outdoor travel. An all-in-one speaker with built-in FM Radio, SD card for MP3 playback, Aux-In and Handsfree conferencing function.
      Wireless and To-Go Speaker. Easy connection with your electronic devices wirelessly. Hand free calling on the go with built in microphone. Carabiner and bicycle handlebar mounting and bracket supplied for dual outdoor usage. Built in FM Radio (20 stations), microSD card slot (up to 32GB) for MP3 playback and Aux-In for cable audio connectivity, JBL Wind is IP45 rated against water splash resistant with built in Lithium-ion battery that can last up to 10 hours of music playback I've ordered one this morning, I'll update the post once it arrives and let you know what I think of it.  Unfortunately it probably won't fit my GPZ shaft.
    • By Matelot
      Hi all.
      Over the last couple of days I've had a complete nightmare trying to pair my ML80 headphones to my Nox 800. So much so that yesterday I had to detect just using the speaker. Had a fairly good day though so it wasn't all bad! Anyway I didn't want to resurrect the two and a half year old thread below and thought I'd post a solution I found today whilst trying to get the damn things to connect.
      So, after trying all the solutions in the thread below, reading the manual, factory resetting everything and watching various Youtube vids I still couldn't get them to connect to the detector. Now my headphones WOULD connect to my iPhone so it wasnt a problem with them.  In the end I tried to connect the WM08 wireless module to the detector, which worked so it wasn't a problem with the detectors bluetooth card. Now I was pulling my hair out! Anyway I tried connecting the headphones again after the success with the WM08 module and bugger me if they didn't connect within five seconds! I've confirm tested that they will connect automatically going forward so all is well. There doesn't seem to be any logic to that solution but it worked. So if anyone has an issue in the future and nothing else works, try connecting the WM08 module first then trying the headphones again. Well, guess I now have to go and redo all my detector settings. Cheers all. 

• By zippykar
      Newbie here,how do I connect the  Garrett Z-Lynk to the Equinox 600?  Doesn't the WT-1 box of the Z Lynk have to be physically connected to the 600 via adapter cord? I didn't see any such cord on the Minelab site.
      I just bought this 600 havn't even used it yet  but fter reading post from different sources, I think I'm going to hate this thing.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      These are available at some dealers now. Headphone Adaptor Cable 3.5mm (1/8-inch) to 6.35mm (1/4-inch) Part No. 3011-0369 $40.00

Minelab Equinox 1/8" male waterproof connection to 1/4" female non-waterproof connection
      I plan on wading a lot with the Equinox and this creates a waterproof connection to the detector itself. The cable is two feet long and reaches just about to my shoulder. Main gripe - the straight connection once it makes that 180 degree bend gives up some length. To prevent stress from pulling on this constantly the cable should be affixed to the detector itself so the cable does not get stressed repeatedly where it makes the bend.
      This is a good solution for people who want to hunt in the water but do not need to put their head in the water, and so who do not need the waterproof headphones. The cable also mates directly to the WM08 module for those who wish to use it for that purpose.
      Minelab Equinox Parts & Accessories Page
      Do be aware there is a compatibility issue as regards the Equinox external speaker. If headphones and adapters are not wired correctly the speaker will keep going even with headphones plugged in. Here is the Minelab article on the subject. As far as I know this applies to the CTX 3030, GPZ 7000, Gold Monster 1000, and both Equinox models. I use Sun Ray Pro Gold (CTX version) headphones which are wired to work properly with the Minelab units.

Minelab headphone wiring diagram
    • By GB_Amateur
      Is there now marketed or has there ever been available a detector which inverts the audio volume scale?  Many applications produce better finds from the weaker signals, either because those items are smaller (e.g. micro jewelry) or deeper (e.g. old coins and nuggets).  Having to listen through the din of trash to hear the weak signals for most detectors is mentally fatiguing.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is/was possible with analog electronics, but seems like a task that digital processing could handle easily(?).
    • By teskinator
      Hi All,
      I am a newbie and purchased a Garrett AT Max. I am having trouble pairing the MS-3 Z-Lynk Headphones to the AT Max. Am I missing something? Manual says push the 2 buttons with headphones on. Did this like 50 times.