• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JW and I went on a bit of an adventure yesterday, it was to an old mining area where a lot of sluicing was done in the 1800's.  The old timers did one hell of a job and little gold is left to be found

Dude thanks for the pics and sharing your adventure!!!!!!!!!!!!a couple of motorbikes to go there would have been cool too!!!!   I vote for your post as :Post OF THE YEAR 2020    

Great story and glad to see JW is doing well.  With all that mining equipment it's hard to believe there isn't gold to be found, or was it mostly of non-detectable size? I don't think I'd take my

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

You know I am having problems finding the edit button nowadays so it takes a bit longer for me to get my total thoughts down.  Not sure I am going to get used to that button being high and right AND two clicks now to get to it.

Uh, compared to navigating the Equinox menu in the field (just one example),...  I'm confident you'll adjust.

• Haha 2

Equinox menu navigation?? I think i have a vague memory of that!!🤣👍👍

And good morning Simon, how are you starting the day today??

Simon,

I want the picture of JW's rig on the bridge.

You must have one, right?  (Maybe you didn't want to get out and take it?)

Mitchel

• Haha 1

I figured I should show this, JW found no gold on the "adventure" but the next day he went out and redeemed himself.  He's been using the 15x10" exclusively lately, maybe he's onto something there.  It took him forever to get off his 10" coil now he's got the 15x10" glued on 🙂

2.jpg.7910662d926dbd7bb58828f94003a950.jpg

He got down to the bedrock and had to break away a crack that didn't initially exist, you can see it just below the scoop.

1.jpg.7a7ab2c0438bc1947db704d4337aef32.jpg

And his redemption for his afternoon hunt, I wish I could do that in an afternoon.

His photos have got me inspired to go back and try my luck at this spot, it's where I got my record 9 grams.  I will try go Saturday and see how I go, maybe I'll use the 15x10" too 🙂

• Like 5

Wishing you great luck Simon!!

I'm still hoping for that large nugget to find you! I think you need to start talking to the gold! It may respond by leading you to it's location! 👳‍♂️👍👍

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By phrunt
      JW and I went for a gold hunt yesterday.  We've both done this area quite a bit, especially JW.  I always disliked the spot, it was my nemesis for so long and I rarely found a nugget there, then all the sudden my luck turned, now I do alright there.    We both had our 15x10" X-coils on, JW's been using his all the time lately so I thought I'd give mine a run.
      Yesterday seemed like I was doomed however to my first skunk in a long time, I don't even remember my last skunk now.  It was about 9.30am I would guess and both went our separate ways.   I headed off to the river to try detect the river banks.  The river was a bit flooded, lots of snow lately which in spring turns to melt on the lower mountain areas quite quickly.  Makes the water quite dirty looking.  JW went off to another area away from the river.

I spent a bit of time down at the river trying my luck, unfortunately someone had been before me, there was dig holes around everywhere

I asked JW if he'd been to the river and he said no, so someone else is on the prowl!   I left the river after some time of walking around detecting and seeing someones digs and went back to the original place away from the river where JW was detecting.  I didn't find a target at all at the river so it was a waste of an hour or two, I don't know if there is even gold near the river, I've never found any nuggets near the river, you can find some gold with your gold pan so I assume there is 🙂
      Part of my dislike for this other spot where JW was detecting is it has power lines right through it and it made me really struggle with my GPX so I found it pointless to use there, it has old workings that have iron stones that are buried too, and they sound so good until you dig down and find them, it's also riddled with pellets!  between the iron stones, pellets and the power lines it was a nightmare for me so I tended to use a VLF there more than anything else.  I often talk about power lines and the agony they cause me, a lot of our gold areas are covered in power lines.  I find the GPZ is pretty good under them, I don't run my sensitivity at 20 with the power lines around as it can get a bit messy but I find running at 14 is quite good.
      I just left the sensitivity on 14 all day, my other settings were all defaults and my usual high yield, normal.
      There is bedrock all over this area, for many miles exposed bedrock everywhere.

The soil and grassed areas are usually quite shallow down to the rock.  Loaded with pellets however as there is a rabbit plague in the area.
      6 hours of digging pellets I was starting to give up, then i had another pellet signal, away from the obvious bedrock and near a rabbit hole in soft loamy soils.  I'd repeated this process countless times, a few scrapes hoping the target doesn't move, and this time, it didn't, more scrapes, still there and getting better, more.... more and it just kept getting deeper and louder...  I'm bad at pinpointing with bigger coils so I have to make my hole coil size.   I got to the point the GPZ was screaming and was hoping it wasn't some deep junk but I was down to more gravelly soils.

I now used my Mini Gold Monster to pinpoint it in the hole and recover it.

It was found on the left hand side of the hole, and it was almost scoop deep.

My first 15x10" nugget, and what a nugget it is (for NZ anyway)

and it was right near the power lines, I'd never get that with my VLF, the depth just not there.  I'd obviously tried the GM when I was thinking it was a pellet before digging and it had no signal at all on it.
      Now I had a renewed bunch of energy so I hit the nearby bedrock

Not even 20 minutes later I had another signal that was very promising, survived all scrapes.

And it was gold, I got it out of the crack I'm pointing too.

A nice little bit.
      About 20 minutes later the sun was going down and I got a call from JW and we decided we'd head home.  I told him I got a couple of little bits, he was surprised when he opened my bottle for a peep! 🙂 He managed to win the day for the tally though with 4 nuggets, 3 of which were absolutely tiny.
      And my junk for the day.

Well the junk I didn't lose out of my pocket.  A fun day! And not a skunk after all, lucky I didn't give up.
      Now the weigh in.

1.692 grams!

and the little guy

0.141 of a gram.
    • By nvchris
      Research, time, and lots of boot miles. 
      Get away from the known areas and roads.

• By mn90403
      I don't see many of them but here is an article about detecting in New Zealand.
      https://thespinoff.co.nz/money/10-09-2020/theres-still-gold-in-them-hills/
    • By G.B.
      Decided to hit the thick scrub again.

• By sturt
      Hi all. Been out there for a few years now picking up the bits that your lucky enough to walk over. The other day I was up early and on an area that I have been over before. Thought I will give it another go. Nothing found by me in the immediate area before. Tuned up the 7000, adjusted the harness for comfort and proceeded to swing the coil. 7.16 am exactly. Walked I think 11 steps and the machine went of its dial. Bloody piece of junk I thought but stopped and scraped the surface looking for a piece of steel, then I saw it. I take it that everyone has found their dream piece and remembers the thrill of the moment. The blood rushes, the veins expand, the hands shake, bad language starts and you hope your heart can take it. To me it was a monster, and now that urge to get back out in the scrub swinging the detector again is even worse. I then spent two days searching the area in a well planned 200 meter radius and found nothing. Not even a boot nail. How can this be possible? The saying that gold is where you find it seems true. Planning another trip as soon as possible, cheers sturt
    • By Allen in MT
      Dredge tailing piles are full of crap, can, barbed wire, nails, hot rocks etc. Was hunting in Idaho, After digging countless targets you think another iron chunk, but I dig everything regardless of sound. This one come in rather loud and was setting a  flat rock about 5" deep. Biggest nugget I have found. Weighed 5.56 ounce. Found a few years back and traded for a S&S 91/2' pickup camper, Now that nugget is worth a whole lot more and the camper has ;lost 3/4 of it's value. Oh well life goes on.