Girlfriend Is Hooked

You show her zero mode on the AT Pro? She should much better with that than the boingy standard modes.

Nice shield, looks to be in fair shape as far as nickels go.

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Excellent find!

Is that your first ever Shield Nickel?  1866 is the first year the USA ever minted a 25% Ni, 75% Cu 5-cent piece.  (That followed by one year their first ever coin of that composition -- the nickel 3-cent piece.)  Note the rays radially emanating from the numeral 5.  Only the first two years had that.  (My only Shield Nickel, found with the Fisher F75, is the 1867 with rays.)

There are several error varieties with designation 'repunched date'.  Here is one example:

1866-shield-nickel-repunched-date.jpg.60f65df44e8c18f9faee4237c066d333.jpg

Yours may be too worn to even show that, if it actually is one.  Although rare (estimated 200-300 still in existence) it doesn't carry much if any premium over the standard non-error version.

GB, I tried looking for the repunched date last night. You're correct...I believe it's a little too pitted to be able to determine. This one is my first shield nickel. Was fairly sure I was digging a nickel, but was not expecting one that old. You never know what's going to come out of the ground! 👍

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kac said:

You show her zero mode on the AT Pro? She should much better with that than the boingy standard modes.

Nice shield, looks to be in fair shape as far as nickels go.

Her frustration this time was digging larger junk, kac.  On the way home I told her about how the Pro mode audio worked. We'll get her started with that on the next outing.

The dug nickels in my area vary alot in how corroded they are. I suspect that's the case in a lot of areas. This one is one of the better, older ones that I've found. Was a fun find to make!