Waterless Pond Detecting

Small skating pond has dried up a bit, enough to walk around in and detect. I'm amazed how much trash was in it but was able to poke around with my Gold Racer. Wish it had a bigger coil but love using it for coin and relic hunting.

Pic of the pond, usually always has water in it and the lilly pads and arrow weed are still green on the edges. Bottom was dry enough to walk on. Ground had cracks and voids in the mud that gave some negative signals at times. Gravel and stones are few inches down but thinking there is stuff out of range of coil i was using.

Brass candle stick base (rest was missing), small brass pin with a floral pattern on it that had a bit of silver plating on it and bit of clad. The 1948 p Rosie was from another section of the woods.

Will hit that again with one of my other machines and bring more than just my hand digger.

62170362273__4295AFD7-8A84-4AC6-9E95-7A550E074606.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

• Like 9

Keep at it kac,

How old is the area's usage?? Was it also a swimming hole??

You never know when the rain is going to make it wet again! And with all that dead vegetation buildup, you will definitely have to punch through, to get to the good stuff with a larger coil!! At least being a pond bottom, you don't have to worry too much about how big your holes are! Dig away, and find us some good stuff!!👍👍

Now that's a first one on me.  Never heard of anyone hunting a skating pond!  You would of thought what ever was lost would have been recovered on the ice.  I guess stuff gets thrown in when the ice is gone.  Nice!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

Pond probably 50-60's maybe slightly older but not very deep. Looking at the waterline on the rocks to the gravel bottom it may have been 3-4ft tops. It flows to a resevior pond that is backup water supply so when the main lake level drops they fill it from the smaller ponds. Doing so it drained this one down. I'm sure there is more stuff there, used to be a party spot for the kids by all the beer cans in the area.

• Like 1