Detecting Backpack

tboykin

1 hour ago, Norvic said:

3L water bladder

Unfortunately wouldn’t work for me, I can drink 3L of water in about 6 hours when out prospecting.

1 hour ago, Sheppo said:

Unfortunately wouldn’t work for me, I can drink 3L of water in about 6 hours when out prospecting.

Has two elasticized holders for 2x1l bike water containers. 

• Like 1

Big backpacks are great for hiking to the location of interest, but when it comes to actual detecting you don't want to have heavy gear on your body. Important to me is to just have enough essentials on me that I can do productive detecting/digging without having to gear up and down every time.  Ideally, everything stays on all the time. And If you plan a 8 hour detecting day with strict coil control and digging deep holes in between there is no way you can have all that stuff on your body, especially in a hot climate. Heavy harnesses or anything that covers up too much surface of your body while detecting/digging will add to fatigue and misery. This is one reason I don't like the ML harness. By the time you put the harness on an attached all the gear and perhaps even added a hydration backpack on top of it (where else could you carry the water) you will look more like an astronaut who is barely able to move. Add the 7000 to it with a big coil and your detecting day won't last long 🙃

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

If you are going to use this backpack a lot you should be very careful with your decision. I was searching for a daily use backpack and the mistake I made was to listen and buy what someone else told me. As we are all different we should look for something that suits us. I found a lot of good options on https://backpacks.global/ and after a lot of research I made up my mind, of course with some reviews from the same site but the final decision was mine, not someone else's and this was the best decision.

• Like 1

I have found that terrain and season play a big part in what backpack and other gear is used. During summer I stay close to my vehicle and use it as my base. I strip my webbing down to the minimum. The heat being the main consideration. Spring and autumn enable me to use a fully loaded battle belt rig that allows me full autonomy for a day, returning to the vehicle in the evening.

If hiking into areas I use either a Savotta 339 framed pack or a surplus pack designed for military radios. I can customise the milspec frame pack to suit the location and type of prospecting. I never wear a pack when detecting, even the battle belt rig is too hot in summer. GPS, emergency beacon, radio/phone, detector, pan, med kit etc All that stuff adds up. I like milspec surplus because it allows me to add or reduce the load quick and easy whilst customising the rig. Comfort and safety are always my first consideration. Water tends to be the main challenge. At the end of the day, whatever works for you.

pack2.jpg

pack5.jpg

IMG_1434_belt1.jpg.0ff30b3aeeb60b05dc6dc6d2cdaaf04b.jpg

IMG_1435_editedbelt2.jpg.ddcd9f196be063e3fe9ca8990412f14b.jpg

• Like 2

A 4x4 in on my wish list, until then I'll have to do it the hard way. A decent pair of boots will have to do for now.

IMG_1444.JPG

• Like 1

strick the pick holder was made by Double D Leather and Canvas in Australia.

• Thanks 1