Detecting Backpack

tboykin

A base camp pack with a day pack is the go----

When in Special Forces I carried a base packs that weighed roughly 100 pounds- (plus my medic bag 35 pounds)-so roughly 65 pounds of gear--- but we dumped it as soon as we rucked to base camp and went to day packs with battle belts.

For day trips 3 liters of water minimum--- in SEPARATE containers in case of a leak...

A few of the regular items in case you get lost---

My point like the post above--for extended stays-- two packs are the go---- 

Could even be Army style like the Alice pack and the fanny pack (sorry Aussies)

Gold Hound Dale got me on to this USA company --Eberlestock-- they have anything you need... We both have one of these--- i believe this is the model-- mine is over WA. still in the plastic (unless the Taskmaster traded it for a carton-!!-) 🤣

If you need more stuff than this can carry .... get a helicopter!

EBERLESTOCK OPERATOR PACK1226463139_ScreenShot2020-09-15at7_16_01AM.thumb.png.2254c938b893cf494481d0f056a9e78b.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 7.28.12 AM.png

• Like 6

I have used a Camelbak military HAWG for the past 3 years and its bullet proof.  3 litre bladder and heaps of room I would say one of the best day packs on the market.  It is a heavy pack for its size but it is made of heavy duty material and huges zips, yet to have one fail.  And they are all clam shell opening so you can get to contents without digging.

• Like 3

Hi, the XP company make a really neat looking 'detecting' backpack for their own gear. They look really smart with lots of pockets, and what looks like a bit of thought in the design.

http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/blog-detection/en/news/xp-backpack-280/

Like Paul says, my favourite packs are the American made eberlestock ones.

I use the gunslinger 2, skycrane, and a couple of their smaller hydration style packs without the bladders installed. They are well worth the price! They are high quality and very innovative designs much better than any other brand I have tried.

I have owned and destroyed many packs and out of them all the eberlestock's lasted and were the most configurable of them all.

Only use load bearing framed packs with good wide load carrying belts if you need to carry more than 8kg for extended periods like a multi day detecting mission, or you will fatigue much quicker which will make your trip less successful. You need to be able to distribute the weight on your hips rather than your shoulders or you will suffer and like Paul said use bottles over bladders as bladders rupture, which = death in the desert.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

So many to choose from above !!!!!

(I liked that Condor belt Paul !)

I live in LLBean's back yard , meaning ,,,,, Incredible selection @ my local Salvation Army "second hand store" for $4-$5 each ,,, especially after school lets out ..... which just happened !

I gotta go there today  ! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Oh my! 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I have not ordered my K3 yet, I have been planning to get this system...  my understanding from a brother of one of the guys behind it, the frames are Very comfortable with extreme heavy loads ...like 140 lbs of meat - which I would prefer to be gold these days 😃. With the long hikes I do in steep mtns/wilderness I usually take three 1 qt plastic bottles -2 full to drink during hike, 3rd to have extra and fill all with my small MSR pump filter when closer to end of hike - It's usually very easy to find streams where I go. 

https://exomtngear.com/collections/packs

The bag I currently use I found on clearance for $25 at Cabelas and so will probably just get the K3 frame for now.

Camel Back KuDu 20 for 2 day trips, made for bicycle riders, has a helmet holder that doubles as detector holder, 3L water bladder, back protector, wide belt, very comfy. Use a Black Wolf 85 Mountain ash for week or so trips.

• Like 2