Detailed Review Of Makro Gold Racer By Steve Herschbach

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Makro Gold Racer and a small Nevada gold nugget it just detected The Makro Gold Racer has been one of my most anticipated new VLF metal detectors in years. This completely new model represents so

Hello there... please send us an email at dilek.gonulay@noktadetectors.com  Your negative posts about our devices on Facebook groups will not help resolve anything. Our company is praised for its

Frankly, that about wore me out! That review was for general consumption and will no doubt get posted around elsewhere. Exclusive to the members of this forum will be more technical details and blatan

Posted Images

Frankly, that about wore me out! That review was for general consumption and will no doubt get posted around elsewhere. Exclusive to the members of this forum will be more technical details and blatant opinions on my part, but for now I need a break from the keyboard. More on this thread soon. In the meantime, post any question you may have and I will answer to the best of my ability - after the pizza!.

• Like 6

Will you always have one with you while out on a trip?  Will it be one of your special use detectors to go with the 7000?

thanks for the review. I find myself more and more interested in the technical aspects of this sport and it's machines. your writings are the meat.

almost forgot, would you consider this a good choice for a one machine user? coin and jewelry hunting sometimes, nugget hunting other times. 50/50 ratio? what about 70/30 nugget/coin jewelry?

Do the 2 discrimination modes have differing separation/reactivity speeds? How do the reactivity of these modes compare to a Deus, 2,3,4, or ?

Thanks,

Merton

Hi Merton,

Until the final version hits the street I am not sure. What you are describing is what they have in the new FORS Gold+. On my prototype Disc2 just seems like Disc1 on steroids. I simply do not have enough experience with the DEUS to pick numbers but I am guessing nothing much different than what you are seeing on your standard Racer.

Which answers the is this a general purpose machine for a one machine person? In my opinion, not particularly. If you want a general purpose machine I would get a general purpose mid-frequency detector. On normal size targets there is little difference between the Gold Racer and the standard Racer or the Nokta units. It is only as the targets get smaller that the gap appears. In a nutshell, this is a machine for people looking for tiny targets first, everything else secondary. That is not to say it won't find the larger gold, it will. I just don't think it will do so any better than the standard Racer. Again though, when the production models get in people's hands that view might change based on more people using the machine under more varied conditions, but I would not at this time recommend a person without a detector get the Gold Racer as a general purpose detector. Sit back and let it sort out.

What is it? Well, mn90403 it is pretty simple for me. I right now use a GPZ 7000 for 98% of my nugget detecting. I do need a second machine however. For sniping tiny gold. For checking quartz specimens. For working trashy areas. If nothing else just in case the GPZ dies! I want something compact and light weight that I can just toss in the back of my truck with no worries, and always have handy if I need it. Cheap accessory coils, runs forever on four AA batteries. GPZ 7000 and Gold Racer it will be for me. All the other nugget machines are going away or already gone.

What about this? There is a person out there that has no detector. They basically want a nugget detector, and desire what the GMT and Gold Bug 2 offer by way of small gold capability. Yet they do not want a 100% dedicated nugget machine, just in case they want to do a little coin detecting or something else. So maybe 90% nugget detecting and other stuff now and then, or so they think. That is a totally made up but reasonable scenario to me.

makro-gold-racer-with-2_4-gram-nugget.jpg

• Like 2

Seriously there are only two other options for me. It would be the Fisher Gold Bug 2 or the White's GMT. Both are excellent detectors used by thousands of people successfully. The one that really seems to get hit by the Gold Racer is the GMT. The Gold Racer simply packs a heck of a lot more on a lighter more compact package at what I suspect will be a lower price. I don't care about price myself, the Gold Racer basically is just in a configuration I prefer over the GMT.

Gold Bug 2 with 6" coil? Probably still will end up when it shakes out as king of the crumb pile. The Gold Racer does give it a fair run for the money but I have not had a Gold Bug 2 at hand to do direct comparisons with. When I knew what was coming with the Gold Racer I sold my Gold Bug 2 immediately. For me in the case of the two it is more a features fight, and if all you need is something to hit tiny gold the Gold Bug 2 gets the job done. Heck, it may be at the end of the day that I just want a newer toy to play with and been there done that with the Gold Bug 2.

Now if you toss the big coil in the mix it gets more interesting and the Gold Racer caught me off guard in that respect. You just can't get a big DD coil for a Gold Bug 2 and that alone right now is enough to have me packing the Gold Racer around instead.

Guys, no sales pitch here. Stick with tried and true and proven unless you can afford to do the buy and try thing. Just too early yet in several ways to be doing serious head to head comparison/decision type stuff. All I can say is the GPZ and GR suit me for now.

makro-gold-racer-with-15x13-dd-coil.jpg

• Like 2

Great report Steve!

Is the stock 10” x 5.5” DD coil epoxy filled?

Did you experience any falsing from the coil when hitting rocks and brush?

Bryan

Good review Steve. Waiting for Keith to report on relic hunying with it, as that is my preference. But its nice having s dual purpose machine when detecting in gold country.

Small coil is epoxy filled. Both 10 x 5 coils are hollow. Initially that kind of turned me off as hollow coils knocking around kind of bug me. This is stupid but they sound funny bouncing off stuff. But after comparing to the Gold Bug Pro and even my F75 with the Fisher epoxy filled version, I realized just how heavy those coils are out there on the end of the stick. The Fisher being epoxy filled weighs in at 1 lb 2.6 oz whereas the Makro coil weighs 12.8 ounces. The Gold Racer is simply better balanced as a result and now that I have gotten used to them I am happy with the coils.

I have experienced a false now and then with the Gold Racer but only on rare occasions, and I want to be sure and again note the coils have changed since I got my last prototype. I believe they will look more like what is one the new FORS Gold+, redesigned with beefed up ears and cable entry point. But you can't hold Makro to that as I have not been told that directly, just makes sense. Bottom line is I did not consider coil falsing to be an issue but it might happen now and then. Might be I did not have my cable wrapped tight enough so I am giving the benefit of the doubt until we see production units. I promise you I hate detectors that are coil sensitive and would tell you in a second if that was bothering me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By kac
      Wanted a machine that has a much higher frequency than your typical coin shooting machine for a couple of reasons. I wanted more definition on iron in the ground, bit more numbers to play with in the low conductors and something that can handle the lousy dirt we have here with iron and coal. I also wanted a machine that would do well in high emi areas so I got the Gold Racer that runs at 56khz.
      Though my finds aren't impressive I took it through the local park in the worst possible spots. Area is a carpet of square tabs and bottle caps. This little machine make it a breaze to pick through and be able to hear the iron in the caps right off, many were just choppy signals. The square tabs and aluminum can slaw has be tripped up a bit but think I can start to weed through those bit better as they tend to have jumpy numbers compared to the nickels I picked out. Overall the machine is very light, well balanced and just fun to use. It isn't a depth demon but may up for a larger coil, have my eyes on the CORS butterfly 12x11 if it ever makes it to the USA for this machine.

• By ziessen
      Hello all. I have done a small amount of detecting years ago with a Whites detector (don't remember the model) and really enjoyed it. I search mostly on Iowa farmland that I own where old homesteads were. Sold detector several years ago but want to get back into the hobby. I would like to find coins, jewelry (not really any gold laying around here except corn!!) and such. Looking to spend around $1000 for equipment. Been researching some companies and Minelab looks like it has good detectors but never used one. Would appreciate any advice on what equipment would be appropriate of this type of detecting. Its not so much about the finding for me, its getting outdoors and the solitude of detecting. Finding is definitely a plus. I sure do dig up a lot of old  rifle casings!! Would be nice if detector could differentiate these brass casings from other metals. Thanks Mike
    • By palzynski
      As I like the Vanquish serie ( I already have a 540 ) 🙂, I decided to buy a 340. Over here the 340 price is 240e , 
      so quite cheap ,almost the price of a coil ... My plan was to do some tests with the 340 and resell it later ..
      A few days ago I did my usual static depth tests. See pics below. I could see that the 340 had the same depth 
      than the 540 V10 , either on a big coin at 11inches or a small coin at 6inches, so very good news for the 340. 
      I could also check that the 340 is as sensible as the 540 V10  on tiny targets lying on the surface like small
      hammered coins , good news again ..
      So today I went to an open field cultivated with wheat. Sandy low mineralized soil. Low to medium iron trash.
      Actually the conditions were not ideal because the field has not yet been ploughed and I had to sweep the coil 
      3 or 4 inches above the ground because of the cut wheat. I found many targets , mainly 1st WW rubbish... 
      Among that stuff I could find 2 coins , a 16th century copper coin and a tiny roman bronze coin .. 
      Very happy with these 2 coins 🙂, the copper coin displayed 15 id and the roman coin 11 id . 
      The 340 is very accurate and deep, the same as the 540 V10 actually , I did not see any difference in the field, 
      the only thing there are only 3 tones for the 340 instead of 5 for the 540. Iron separation is the same between the 340
      and the 540. The V10 coil is excellent for coin shooting , and very light .. 
      The only limitation I see for the 340 , the same as the 540 and other multifreqs MLs , are high iron trash areas , 
      so the 340 is a little too chatty and slow on these areas . And unfortunately there is no dedicated "FA" ( fast ) mode 
      like on the Teknetics T2 ... On such iron trashed areas I prefer to use my Deus .
      So if you dont need wireless and backlight and you detect on low/medium iron trashed areas , 
      the Vanquisg 340 offers a great performance for a very limited budget. Even experienced users will be happy with it ...
      I was thinking of reselling it but eventually I will keep my 340 for the moment .. 🙂 

• By speedman2049
      Hello from Canada!
      Long time lurker here from Canada reading up on many many pages on here (and others) on detectors and needed some advice/user experiences that people have had (and thank you in advance as i appreciate any reply taking the time to do so!).
      This would be a first time detector for me and ideally i would like to spend around $400usd and can maybe stretch it to $600-800usd if i wait, although i'd really like ideally something in the $400 range.
      My primary use would be for small tiny gold nuggets in my area (~0.1g-~1/2g) mainly hunting placer gold in rivers/riverbeds, and some relic/coin hunting on the side if possible with coil swaps.

A couple of detectors that made my short list:
      -Bounty Hunter Time Ranger (non pro) ~$300usd (Pros: comes with 8-inch search coil and 4-inch Gold Nugget coil   Cons: Operating frequency 6.6 kHz) Seems like it can get the job done and used for both gold nuggets and coin/relics, price hard to beat, only downside is the 6.6 khz on smaller nuggets i think.
      -Minelab Vanquish 440 ~$300usd (Pros: Multi IQ Frequency 5-40khz   Cons: Not specifically designed for nugget hunting, no small 4-5" coils) Also seems like it could get the job done with the v8 coil although more geared towards coin/relic, still with possibly playing with sensitivity and no discrimination could be a viable option and was thinking about this one heavily.
      -Fisher Gold Bug 2 ~700usd (Pros: 71khz frequency   Cons: Specifically designed for gold nugget hunting, high price, not multi versatile as not many coils) On the higher end of the budget with price, not really versatile in the sense that i can only really use it for nugget hunting, on the other hand excels at nugget hunting but that's all.
      -Minelab Gold Monster 1000 ~700usd (Pros: 45khz frequency  Cons: Pretty much the same as the Gold Bug 2) Again high end of the budget, same as gold bug 2 except lower khz but easier to use.
      -Minelab Explorer 2 ~300usd used! (Pros: 1.5khz-100khz, multiple coils  Cons: Discontinued, Not designed for nugget hunting) I found a user Minelab Explorer 2 that comes with a carbon fiber shaft, 10" coil, 7" coil, 2 battery packs! I think for the price it's a steal! I also read that although general consensus is that it can't do gold nuggets, however a couple people had tweaked the settings and were still able to pick up nuggets that were as small as 2grain (0.1gram) with small coils!

Please let me know what you guys think would be a good fit, as well as any others that you can think off, and again thank you in advance for reading this and replying!
    • By Steve Herschbach
      The waterproof pulse induction field is very limited at this time. It divides into two classes. Pulse induction metal detectors that ground balance, and those that do not.
      A pulse induction (PI) detector by its nature tends to ignore mineralization, so much so that in milder conditions a PI works fine without a ground balance circuit. As I noted above however a PI is not immune to mineralization. A non-ground balancing PI detector will sound off when raised and lowered over true black sands. The more concentrated the magnetite, the more intense these signals will be. The bottom line is that on real bad black sand beaches even a basic pulse induction will sound off if the coil height is varied too rapidly over the beach. In the water with troughs and depressions false signals are all but impossible to avoid. The most extreme situations require a ground balancing pulse induction (GBPI) metal detector.
      Pure white non-magnetic coral beaches - most any detector will work well Even a hint of mineralization - a multifrequency detector has an edge over single frequency VLF where there are both saltwater and magnetic minerals. Moderate mineralization - you want multifrequency or pulse induction. Severe mineralization - at some point a ground balancing PI (GBPI) is required. The above conditions grade from one into the other seamlessly. Hot rocks are a wild card as hot rocks in a normally mild beach can cause false signals on a PI detector that lacks ground balancing capability.
      Finally, I should note that PI detectors with ground balancing capability have a crude sort of tone discrimination that can be used to advantage.

Fully submersible pulse induction metal detectors
      Here are the current mainline waterproof PI detector offerings:
      Bounty Hunter - no PI
      Garrett - Sea Hunter Mark II (PI) and ATX (GBPI)
      Fisher - Impulse AQ
      Minelab - SDC 2300 (GBPI)
      Nokta/Makro - no PI
      Teknetics - no PI
      Tesoro - Sand Shark (PI) (Discontinued)
      White's - Surfmaster Dual Field (PI) and TDI BeachHunter (GBPI)
      XP - No PI
      Finally, here are the key specifications for comparison:

Fully submersible pulse induction metal detectors

• By Gerry in Idaho
      As a very fortunate and experienced gold hunter who has had my share of success with a variety of gold detectors and found my share of heavy metal, I get asked this question all the time.  Yes I have my favorite but will not share it at this moment.  The reality is,  there is no "the best", for all situations and or people. 
      What I'd like to see, hear and read is your input and answers.   No wrong answers as this is your opinion. In fact,  even those who have yet to find gold with your detector,  your input is wanted.   After all,  why did you decide on the model you own? Was it price,  features,  weight,  depth,  warranty,  or referral from a friend?
      There are many to choose from.  Just off the top of my head,  I can think of 20+ different current models of gold detectors. Surprisingly each manufacture makes more than 1 so there is a reason. 
      Some on here are well known salty pros,  others are seasoned veterans and quite a few accomplished rookies.  Now with the price of gold we are seeing a new run of wantabees.  Realize everyone's experience is different,  so please also mention your level at gold hunting with a detector.
      Thanks for sharing your time, input,  thoughts and knowledge. 
      Me personally,  I've been chasing Au for 25 yrs.  Again,  I'll mention my favorite at a later time.