Detailed Review Of Makro Gold Racer By Steve Herschbach

ok thanks, sometimes it's the simple things. I'll fix it.

Seriously there are only two other options for me. It would be the Fisher Gold Bug 2 or the White's GMT. Both are excellent detectors used by thousands of people successfully. The one that really seems to get hit by the Gold Racer is the GMT. The Gold Racer simply packs a heck of a lot more on a lighter more compact package at what I suspect will be a lower price. I don't care about price myself, the Gold Racer basically is just in a configuration I prefer over the GMT.

Gold Bug 2 with 6" coil? Probably still will end up when it shakes out as king of the crumb pile. The Gold Racer does give it a fair run for the money but I have not had a Gold Bug 2 at hand to do direct comparisons with. When I knew what was coming with the Gold Racer I sold my Gold Bug 2 immediately. For me in the case of the two it is more a features fight, and if all you need is something to hit tiny gold the Gold Bug 2 gets the job done. Heck, it may be at the end of the day that I just want a newer toy to play with and been there done that with the Gold Bug 2.

Now if you toss the big coil in the mix it gets more interesting and the Gold Racer caught me off guard in that respect. You just can't get a big DD coil for a Gold Bug 2 and that alone right now is enough to have me packing the Gold Racer around instead.

Guys, no sales pitch here. Stick with tried and true and proven unless you can afford to do the buy and try thing. Just too early yet in several ways to be doing serious head to head comparison/decision type stuff. All I can say is the GPZ and GR suit me for now.

You are So Right about this machine, Not that I have used One, But because of I have wished that My MXT was more Like the GMT and vice versa, which is why I have both, If Only my GMT had the Controls that are on my MXT and the Live disc read out that the MXT PROS Mode has, and if they could put 5 push pads on the MXT + and - for the manual GB, and all this creates a huge problem of which one do I take with me, I don't want to carry 3 or 4 machines when a good VLF and a PI will do the job.

Bottom line is this Makro is Both VLF machines in one package and it is only a matter of time before they add A 14/15 kHz switch to the next model, HINT HINT, and Life will be perfect,

I can't say enough good things about the People at Makro,,, What A Company,, Just Brilliant.

john

• Like 3

" As always, I must include the warning that the more discrimination applied, the more risk of missing a good target. Use no more discrimination than needed to preserve your sanity!"

This is a fine line for many of us.... ;)

But this is the single most important thing I have to deal with when trying to hear smaller/deeper targets--- whether it be discrimination or threshold volume......

• Like 1

Many moons back I read about easing up on the Disc when using it for prospecting and this is very true when it comes to Iron stained nuggets, When people buy this new machines it would pay to practice using the Disc system before heading out just to make sure they know how Aggressive the Disc system is, because I use to run my standard set up but with the newer coils that they are making today That fine line is getting even more critical and what worked on my earlier models is worlds apart with these new Windings, IE a 15" coil be able to see a 0.03 gram test piece on the surface was unheard of even more so for a VLF,

With what Nokta Is doing the Detecting world has now become an Interesting place once again,

John

PS good to see you Paul,

I will chime in here on general trash (iron) hunting. With these newer machines, and the ability to either tone break (like f19) or regular 2 tone, I like to set the break where the iron (usually square nails) just gets disced (low tone) pretty soon all those grunts become background noise, almost like a threshold. Any high blip gets investigated. Gotta really work that coil, different angles and speed. For me , Im usually looking for relics, but nuggets should be no different.

• Like 3

The 0.3 gram nugget was not a test piece on the surface, it was a nugget found in the ground while detecting for gold with the 15" coil.

Yes I see that, I was just referring to bits 10X smaller as in 0.03g Not 0.3g, It seems these Modern coils are so Hot, That 5.5x10 sounds like an Awesome piece of kit Compared to the eclipse 5x9, Although it is a good coil I sure hope they start puting the same wire as they use in the MAX coil into their other coils because that one is very sensitive