Detailed Review Of Makro Gold Racer By Steve Herschbach

Ray, I am just staying out of all that and leaving it to wiser and more experienced hands. The high frequency can cut both ways. It seems to call big ferrous as ferrous better than lower frequency machines for some reason, but the machine is so sparky it can produce transient high tone blips in ferrous. I am sticking with my "it's a gold machine" line until somebody else proves otherwise. It has a killer all metal mode that alone is enough to make me happy and in scattered ferrous seems really well behaved. But I did not dive into any nail pits so just don't know.

• Like 1

Wow, I can understand you needing a break from the write up about the Macro Gold Racer Steve. I need a break from reading it.

From your review, I'm not sure I'm smart enough or experienced enough to use this detector. The Gold Bug 2 is the most advanced detector I've yet to use so this might explain my apprehension.

Perhaps I'll wait for a instructional video.

As always Steve, thank you for your wisdom and experience,

Mike

• Like 2

Can't beat the Bug for simplicity. I never understood people who think it is hard to run. The Gold Racer to really leverage what it offers will take some learning. The all metal mode is just as straight forward as any. The disc modes is where things get intriguing. I am just not seeing any dire need for a happy owner of a GB2 to ditch it in favor of the GR per se. There are other GB2 owners, who, like me, will look at the Gold Racer and tell themselves "I gotta have that one instead" but they will know who they are and why and don't need me to tell them so.

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your great report for the new "Makro Gold Racer" can you confirm if ?

1/ Makro has beefed up the coil ears around the bolt hole so they don't break anymore when using them?  

2/ Also will each coil come with their own coil cover supplied with the coil when purchased ?

3/ Price for the detector with the standard 10'' x 5.5'' DD coil on it ?

4/ Prices for the large coil ? and prices for the smaller coils on offer ?

5/ Price for the wireless head phones ?

If not known maybe "Dilek Gonulay" can  answer these questions for us ?

As I said, I am only assuming looking at the FORS Gold+ in front of me that the coil on the production Gold Racer will look the same, but I do not know that for a fact and Dilek will have to confirm. Perhaps I should not have mentioned it yet, cart ahead of the horse and all that. All details on accessories and pricing I will have to leave to Dilek.

Steve and Ray,

You have gone and done it again.  With your writing style and in-depth knowledge of many things electronic you make gold hunting sound easier with this new machine.  You make me want one!

A new machine is not a fix for me. (You still make me think it would make a difference.)  haha

I'm one of those people who is walking past gold.  I need to take my 7000 (Your 98% of the time detector) to a place where I can find it and stop reading more of your reviews which make me want to get a new 'thing!'

Ray is just like you.  Buy this and you'll be in tall clover.

Thank you both but stop tempting me.  We have enough!  (7000, 5000, 2300, 3030, SE Pro, E-Trac, GB Pro, White's 6000/DI Coinmaster) 

Mitchel

• Like 1

"Might be I did not have my cable wrapped tight enough so I am giving the benefit of the doubt until we see production units."

steve, can you explain this, I dont understand why cable tightness matters.

Simple really. The coil cable has metal in it. Any loose cable moving around a foot over the coil can cause a false signal. In general the cable should go straight up the shaft, with excess wound at the top near the control box.

However, in order to allow the coil to swivel and change angles, it is common to leave a little slack near the coil. It the coil strikes something hard enough, that short bit of cable can shift quickly, causing a transient false signal.

The fitting at where the coil connects to the control box not being absolutely firm can do the same thing.

post-1-0-61902300-1448469672_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

so having the cable on my gmt loosely wrapped around the shaft might cause a problem.