Video - Understanding Iron Masking And Target ID

This is a video that Garrett has done in response to some of the user videos made about the new Apex. It’s possible this was posted before and I missed it... been busy lately!

“Iron targets can “mask” or change the Target ID of adjacent good treasure targets. Two examples of target masking are presented, along with a demonstration of successfully scanning coins mixed into a row of nails. Although the presence of iron can change a target’s ID, this video shows how easy the Garrett Apex can pick out the treasures in such trashy detecting environments.”

• Like 7

I've conversed with Monte a few times about these videos that Garrett released and why Garrett seems to do so much better than what I got or even he got. I think I already posted (I can't remember) about my nail board being smaller than the official Monte Nail Board so Monte sent me one. Sure enough the Apex does do better on his official sized board I can get 6 out of 8 rather than 4 out of 8. But on the flip side the Simplex and the F19 do even better. The other thing that makes the Apex perform better in iron is coil height above the ground. We found that if you hold the coil approximately 3.5-4 inches about the nail board or the line of nails and coins the Apex does much better. Now in the real world I don't go around swinging my coil that far off the ground, 2 inches at most. But at least the info is there if you happened to need better performance. Obviously that's only going to work for surface targets.

• Like 1

All well and good in a test garden. Real life, where the targets are a different depths and orientations are another matter. Add various degrees of corrosion and non-ferrous trash, and that I.D. averaging is going to be a problem.....not unlike some other machines. The quick processor will help however, as would a small coil.

• Like 1

Test gardens are what they are, like air tests! I'm sure Garrett has some substantial test gardens!

Steve does do decent videos, compared to some of the goofy one's out there! I do hope that they process all the feedback for the Apex rapidly, and get the AT design progressing! And hopefully updateable!👍👍

Great Video Steve,  thanks for sharing!  I never really thought about iron mixed with good targets "Averaging" or lowering the VDI.

1 hour ago, Bohemia Miner said:

Great Video Steve,  thanks for sharing!  I never really thought about iron mixed with good targets "Averaging" or lowering the VDI.

Yep, this is a fairly common problem.  In some detectors such as the XP Deus, adding some discrimination, while still allowing the iron to be heard via iron volume helps to mitigate this phenomenon versus running with zero disc.

• Like 2