Connector Mating Cycles

I’m sure I read somewhere that all of these common connectors (typically for headphones) such as the 8 pin style have a limited amount of mating cycles. Connector integrity cannot be assured after this. I guess there is a small amount of wear and tear on the male/female metal contact points as well as the plastic/rubber moulding that keeps water out.

Any views on this? 
Thanks

Tony

What the issue is the brand you buy and use. SS or the plated composite material. The cheaper is 7 dollars, the SS is about 23 dollars..USD. The cheaper will last several years but it requires you keep cleaned and lubed both it and it's mate. The SS you can abuse it a little more but from time to time will need taken loose and lubed, other then that ...they seem to hold up until a internal wire breaks...One of the most important thing is to fill that internal area that the wires connect to the pins with Epoxy when installing...  either. 

Salt is the issue, not really the wear. And that being said the Souriau brand that is used on the AQ will wear in time. A composite material..will, the screw together type are less prone to wear.

• Like 3

Thanks Joe.....I’m thinking of making the connection and then coating with Aquaseal or PlastiDip the whole of the outside connector....making it completely sealed from salt and sand as well as only needing to disconnect if required to. Thanks Tony 

Tony, I like that silicon tape for sealing stuff like that. So much easier to get off..and take it from me I have tried it all. Aquaseal and plastic dip last about the same amount of time , both after a few months look rather weathered. The silicon tape if a brand name will last about as long but like I said much easier to remove and you can add Dow111 to the area to help keep moisture out. 

I ended up using plumbers thread tape for the screw connector as it
perfectly seals (as it would a tap) and then a small amount of Marine Grease over that general area. I’m trying to avoid constant mating and unmating of the headphone 8 pin connector and your very nice endcaps for the Excal. I’ll probably inspect once a month to check on integrity......somewhat overkill as its designed for submersion but as you well know....you can’t over maintain anything in a saltwater environment.

In these photo’s.....you can see Aquaseal over the endcap connection, thread tape for the headphone connection and reinforced headphone cable to spread any flexing load from a sharp angle to a softer angle. My coil has at least 8 coats of Plastic Dip and hasn’t had to be recoated after 3 years....detecting I the water over rocks and reef.

Come on summer !

E6B93A0F-D4AE-4977-BC05-FCD031D5C99C.jpeg

2353794D-91C2-45E7-B6BA-3FE1F7422D31.jpeg

3B870BB1-9C8B-413A-B207-E82BFFA8D2C4.jpeg

• Like 1