WTG Chris, I think you might have enough for that Jeep! I'll bet that put a smile on Wilma's face!

Norm

• Like 1

Hi Chris, Great result.

Re (Research, time, and lots of boot miles)

Last trip, 2 days leisurely driving to get there ( ditto return), 9 days camping in known gold area, 2 mornings detected/walked for 4 hours into the distant hills for virgin ground with a zero result, so concentrated on known areas for the rest of the trip. 

In a similar situation a friend looks for new areas in the morning and known areas in the afternoon, me I would probably only do this if I was in the gold fields for a month or more.

I think if you are finding gold in a know area on a daily basis you are less likely to look for Virgin ground.

And agree on Research effort/time, Have used Google earth and.... and... for detecting spots in Wa (OZ) and still picked some Bummers.( and some Good)

• Like 1

Always great to see someone find a big patch! 🤙

Would love to know how far away from a "known area" the find was. 1 mile? 5 miles? 20 miles? 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pile of gold! Those chunkies add up fast. Congrats!

Good job Chris.  I spend a lot of time putting in research but never seem to have, or make, time to put boots on the ground.  The only boots I get on the ground these days is in my shop.  Chris Ralph said I’m the busiest retired guy he knows.  One of these days I’ll get back out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By TTT2866
      Pretty happy with this little nug, it registered like an old button (13-15) and came out in the first shovel. Using gold mode 1, sens 22, 6" coil, tracking. 

We were originally looking for goldfield relics, just sat down for a break and decided to try for some little bits of gold and got this as my second ever piece. 

• By Gerry in Idaho
      Gold is one of natures most interesting and inspiring metals on this earth.  I've been fortunate to see, handle and or even find my share of unique pieces but this one takes tops honors.
      I know there are some legends of gold hunters on here and would ask your help.  If anyone has ever found one similar, please let us see.  As it stands now, this is a 1 of a kind and I was the lucky one who realized to grab a cell phone and put it on video mode....just in case we found a nice nugget.  But what was actually dug up just blew us away.
      Oh my gosh is all I could manage to stutter from my lips.
      Now we need to name this beauty and we'll all ears.  Please give some suggestions for a name.

• By Lunk
      What better way to ring in the new year than going nugget shooting in the sunny desert southwest. 😎 In my wanderings through an area heavily worked by the old-time placer miners, I spied an old raked and drywashed nugget patch on a hillside that sloped down to a gravel bench deposit high above the dry creek bed. Back in the VLF gold detector era, the surface rocks were raked away in order to get the detector coil right on the ground, to make up for their limited depth capabilities. Detecting these types of environments with the newer PI and ZVT tech can reveal deeper nuggets that were beyond the reach of VLF detector operators. Slow and methodical coverage of the old patch with the GPZ 7000 yielded two small nuggets for the poke today.

• By Libertas
      I was able to get out for several hours to an old patch that has been hammered to death, is near power lines and has seen lots of shooting with lead, bullet jackets and fired casings everywhere. Found with the 7000 in Bogene mode. I was concerned about depth in this mode, but one of the pistol cartridge cases was a solid 24" down in sandy soil and was a delicate but obvious signal. My first pieces with the 7000! Total weight of 1.1 grams:

It is simply amazing to me how sensitive the 7000 is to tiny lead BBs and bullet shards:

• By beatup
      Condor took my brother and I out for a hunt in what was a new area for us two to detect and let me tell you it was some of the toughest walking I have done in quite awhile , it did put the hurt on myself and Steve my brother not so much but he is part mountain goat anyway. The good part was everyone found some gold Steve got one, i got one and my brother a couple pieces the gold seems to be very spotty in this area and very thin with a quartz matrix also stained with what seems to be manganese . Here are the pieces my brother and I found.All gold was found using GPZ 7000s.

• By GoldTree
      Very short but very productive year for me, seeing as I only got to prospect from Oct. - Dec. and only about 8 days during those months. I'll post a few more photos later of my 2020 finds. But enjoy this semi drawn out nugget discovery to recovery 😂