How Do You Mount Your Booster And So On With The GPZ Harness?

Right, I'm struggling, I've not found a way I'm comfortable with having my SP01 and WM12 on my harness, in fact I struggle with the harness so much I've barely worn it since getting my GPZ.

I've spent an hour or two tonight fiddling around tying to get a setup I can live with, I'm yet to find a good solution.  Ive made up a mixture of sizes of mono 1/4" patch lead to go between the WM12 and SP01 to try it in various locations,  some with right angle plugs others with straight plugs just trying to work out decent way to have everything all on there... my SP01, the WM12 and the speaker.  I gave up on my dual speaker setup as that was even more cords everywhere and made up a single speaker.  I've left the dual speaker setup on my GPX harness.

Maybe I'm just fussy but I really dislike all the crap hanging off me everywhere getting in the way.  I've barely used my SP01 since getting the GPZ even though I really like it a lot due to this cords/setup problem.  I can't have anything low on the harness at belt level as the coil picks it up, especially the SP01 with it's alloy housing.  It all needs to be up high.  It makes it even more difficult the WM12 needs to be on my swing arm side or it drops out too much.

At the moment when I use my GPZ I've just gone harness free with the WM12 hooked over my T-shirt collar, obviously no bungee.  I primarily use small coils like the 8" or 10" so I've found this manageable although I want to start using my 17x12".

Is there a good way to deal with this or is everyone just putting up with it?

This is my current rig.

IMG_20200916_193203.thumb.jpg.4751b81f9afffc4c666a2ba7646c439d.jpg

Is there better locations to mount things?

I might just be fussy but I'd rather not use the SP01 than use this setup.  I wish Minelab just had a damn speaker in the GPZ then I wouldn't even use the WM12, I struggle with it's drop outs if anything gets between it and the detector.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One thing that is clear - like so many other detecting topics, there are a lot of unique solutions that come out of personal preference and experience. I love using the WM12 with an SP01. I cinch

I consider my problem solved, thanks Gold Hound.  This suits me fine and you barely notice it there.  Tested it out, the audio is good and as he pointed out it follows your head so unlike a single spe

KISS... keep it simple stupid... Every extra wire on the boosters is another thing to break and extra weight to carry. The idea of the wireless module is to be wireless... is it not¿ Wires are no

Posted Images

I was just thinking of using a backpack for the bungee to attach to and not using the SP01.

I don't like stuff hanging off my shoulder straps. An external speaker is enough. 

I have my sP01 on my wait belt (left side). Audio cable goes around my back and connects to the WM12 which either sits in my right pocket (detector side), or in a small pouch sitting sideways. Makes the harness easy to put on and off. 

As a trial, I've recently got rid of the strut and have gone back to just a bungy which is pulling off both shoulders - ran like this since the GP extreme days. I've also got a clip on pick holder and mounted that on the V (below the neck) so I can have a big pick in there. Seems to counter balance nicely, but a bit annoying trying to get it out in a hurry. 

• Thanks 1

My Setup

I had 2 additional tabs sewn onto the front Z harness shoulder straps just below the Plastic D rings that the plastic bracket/Bungee cord connects 2.

Tryout 1

WM12 on Top RH Tag(Loop) with the SP01 on the other top LH tag(Loop), with the Twin speakers on the lower tags and my CB in a Bum Bag.

Tryout 2

WM12 on Top RH Tag with the CB on the other top LH tag, with the Twin speakers on the lower tags and my SP01 in a Bum Bag.

Velcro Strips/plastic ties keep cables in position. I detect left handed with the Z and use a long handle pick ( one handed) to  dig RH the initial scrape/hole..

And finally for 10 days or so in June/July at Tibooburra Far West NSW in Oz, just used the WM12 and the CB on the top tags, to me I think the SP01 is more beneficial for headphone users, I don't seem to notice a difference between the WM12 and the twin speakers, but maybe this is because the twin speakers are lower (on the lower tags) than the WM12 on the higher tag. Anything on the lower tag is rubbed by the PlasticBracket/Bungee cord setup so would rather it be the speakers. ( Maybe my additional Tags should have been sewn say 3inches above the standard Tag/loops and I should mount the speakers there, but thats getting near the top of the harness).

• Thanks 1

When I had the Z I never used the harness - hated it. 

But also realised that I needed something to take the weight off the shoulders/arm/elbow. 

Steve H suggested that he just sued a small camelbak type pack with a bungee hooked to it.  

I had something similar and used it with great effect - thanks Steve.  And actually provided the rig to the person that bought the Z - no idea if they still use it this way. 

CamelBak type rig.  WM12 attached the R) shoulder.  B&Z attached to the L) shoulder (SPO1 in your case).  Speaker attached to the middle strap that runs between each shoulder strap.   The speaker hung down but give the strap a few twists and it sits up.    The best part of all of this is that all the leads are in the back of the pack where the water bladder would be.  Run all the leads along the shoulder straps in underneath all the loopy things (where the water tube normally runs) and it keeps them neat and out of the way.   The lead from the B&Z to the speaker was leccy tied along the chest strap.  

Nice and light and a lot cooler than the big ML harness. 

• Thanks 1

Someday we’ll come full circle and have a powerful, lightweight gold machine with a speaker in it........you know, like they used to back in the 70’s and 80’s.......🍺

• Haha 1

Simon,

I use the GPX harness.  I put the SP01 in the battery pack.  I 'twist' the wires about 3 times around the center back strap up to the WM12 and headphones.  Mount the WM12 on the top loop on either side on the front.  This keeps the cords snug when you snap your harness on.  I turn on the SP01 or BZ before I put on the harness.

I do use a Hip Stick attached to the GPX harness which makes the GPZ weightless (or more) on my arm.  I can wear it many hours this way but NOT with the 19"!!!

Occasionally the GPX harness needs to be adjusted or one of the straps comes loose and I try to make sure this does not happen in the field because you have to be patient and fix it when I'd rather be detecting.

Mitchel

• Thanks 1

I found the hip stick an interesting concept, but it's just another thing to hang off me annoying the hell out of me.  I get frustrated by stuff.  I'd rather put up with weight than be uncomfortable rigged up like a cyborg.  It doesn't really suit our rough mountainous detecting terrain being rigged up like that.

The other day I just had the WM12 attached to the arm cuff most of the day emulating a built in speaker.  A few good ideas there in the replies to try out.  There has to be a way I can live with otherwise I'll just mount a powered speaker onto the GPZ like I did with my GPX and how the QED comes from manufacturer and use a backpack with bungee attached like Northeast.

I can't have my SP01 on my waist, left or right side as I'm often walking uphills detecting which brings me even closer to the coil, even step it sets it off.   Downhill is Ok 🙂

I can understand Northeast not using a harness. He is built like a brick dunny, (outhouse for the yanks) and could swing a GPZ and 'dog' coil on his little finger, plus he still has youth on his side, but for an old buzzard like me, this is out of the question.

I couldn't think of anything worse than trying to detect that mountain goat country that Phrunt endures trussed up like a working mule. One stumble, and it's a long way down.

I use a light weight detector (QED), Quest WiFi, noise cancelling headphones, and a small pick on a wide 'tradie' belt which gives good firm lumber support and does not slip about.

I am now a convert to the Russian X coils which I have found give excellent depth, and even a medium sized X coil gives surprising penetration for size while still being sensitive on small targets. No need for big heavy coils in most situations. In open country for really deep targets the spoked coils are the go. A 25" Nuggetfinder still does not require a bungy cord.

• Like 2