Sometimes Too Many Choices Are Not Good

bigtim1973

Actually, Joe.  Not a bad move to move on from the 800 now from a warranty perspective and if it doesn’t leave a significant capability gap in your arsenal.  You can afford to wait and see what XP or ML (or Nokta) come up with for 2021 or as you mentioned grab a 600/800 later (perhaps discounted depending on what hits the marketplace over the next several months).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, relicmeister said:

So I got the Deus remote and found that I was often not really even using it as I had gotten used to digging by tones with the WS4 headphones. For the way I detect the WS4 is really ideal so I put the remote up On eBay and it sold in 30 minutes without much of a loss as it was essentially new. 

Most dealers are completely out of replacement Deus remotes. Maybe there is something new coming soon???????? Lots of other XP Deus replacement parts are in short supply from dealers too or out of stock. Covid 19 has been tough on most small businesses worldwide including XP it seems.

If you want to sell a Deus remote or other Deus/Orx parts and get top dollar for them on Ebay, now is a good time to do it. 

• Like 2

I threw my remote and back phones up for sale on ebay but took them down a little bit ago. 

I just cannot seem to wrap my head around the fact that there probably is not something that is going to be better or as good as my current Deus/ORX are. 

I do not beach comb so why do I need a water proof unit? Or multi freq?

I don't.

And what machine out there currently is actually that much better anyway? 

I thought I would sell my remote and back phones for my Deus to get another unit but if I did what would it be?? I just do not think there is anything out there that can touch it.

So I guess for now I am just going to keep both. 

• Like 1

Despite being mainly a tone hunter, I still prefer to hang on to the remote just in case something goes amiss with the WS4 controller - just as it did the other day with an expired lithium battery after 5 years service.  Sometimes I also use the controller on a second shaft and another coil for my partner to use, and I just stick with the WS4 and HF coil for myself (ie. 2 x Deus's). 

I too do not utilise the full suite of features on the Deus, preferring to stick to Fulltones (Hot)and Pitch for most detecting - I don't have any specific custom programs, just changing a few settings on the run when the ground/site dictates it.  For me the ORX would be more of a sideways move vs an upgrade considering the lack of tone options on offer.  The controller also offers the benefit of having the XY screen which some may find useful in the field.  I learnt early on to not flick between programs, just stick to one or two and learn what the feedback from the Deus is telling you. 

Quite frankly I had to force myself to pick up my Equinox 600 the other day to start getting my head around it, something that is not always that easy when you get so used to using the same detector day in day out.  Between the Nox 600 and the Deus, I do not think there will be any need anytime soon to upgrade to another detector/s - it would want to be a damned good tone machine for me to warrant an upgrade. 

I have 2 complete Deus units,one setup with the HF elliptical coil mainly running the Hot prog and the 2nd unit running the 9'' LF coil,the idea of having 2 was the LF would be a backup if i am away on say a long weekend detecting vacation.But alas after 7-8 years of using the Deus although the finds rate was stable it had a massive drop from my DFX and T2 days,so these 2 Deus setup have become mainly backup machines and also for use on some of my more trashier roman sites.

The Nox that i have has also become a backup machine and pasture site which i feel it excels at and will earn its keep.

But my original green T2 came out of retirement a few months back as did the DFX which i have owned from new and my finds rate surprise surprise has started rising again,sometimes the grass is not always greener on the other side.Is it a coincidence that my finds rate has risen again while using both my old faithful 2,i dont think so so nothing has changed in the context of selling or buying detector but what has changed is what has become my 2 everyday machines and what have become my backup ones.

• Like 3

Well I thought about it over night again and I went ahead and made my mind up to go ahead and sell my Deus stuff. I am just not going to use it and I prefer the large ID screen of my ORX and the fact that it is only 3 tones is just fine with me because that is what I normally use anyway. 

The Deus is an excellent unit. One of the best but not matter what I do with it, I will still only use a deep and fast program.

Plus I cannot just let a machine such as the Deus just sit idle and collect dust.

Do it is off to the great auction site once more.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bigtim1973 said:

Well I thought about it over night again and I went ahead and made my mind up to go ahead and sell my Deus stuff. I am just not going to use it and I prefer the large ID screen of my ORX and the fact that it is only 3 tones is just fine with me because that is what I normally use anyway. 

The Deus is an excellent unit. One of the best but not matter what I do with it, I will still only use a deep and fast program.

Plus I cannot just let a machine such as the Deus just sit idle and collect dust.

Do it is off to the great auction site once more.

Why not give the classifieds here a shot too.  Saves you some ebay fees and I know some folks here are looking for remotes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Why not give the classifieds here a shot too.  Saves you some ebay fees and I know some folks here are looking for remotes.

Really?? I did not know that people here were looking too. I will try to do that too. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 12:13 PM, bigtim1973 said:

I have been forcing my self to use my Deus more here lately. I am finding that I like the Deus very much. For the most part I am using Gold Maxx and deus fast. I have a custom deep program I use as well. 

What I am getting at is i am not really using as many of the programs and settings. I fiddle between 2 for the most part and some times 3. And that is Deus fast and either gold Maxx or the deep Custom one I made. 

I have been thinking of selling either my Deus remote set up and keeping the ORX or selling the ORX remote set up.

I like the ORX for the large easy to see screen and iron probability bar. Plus I only fiddle with the coin programs anyway. 

I  actually favor the ORX to tell you the truth.  

They are slightly different animals. And each has their own strong points. But target and depth between the 2 are equal. 

Who else has the same delima??

I do not have this problem because I am a glutton for punishment. I had the Equinox 600 first and felt it was a "crippled" version of the 800. Got rid of it. Some time later I purchased the Equinox 800, and feel better about that. It allows me to set the tones to my ears, where the 600 did not allow it.

I have an XP ORX, and it is a good little unit but again I feel held back and that it is a crippled version of the Deus. Unfortunately I could not afford the Deus so I still have the ORX (this is my second one) with the X35 11" coil. Of all the things I wish the ORX would do is allow tone pitch adjustment. If it had that it would be ideal. The XY Screen also fascinates me, but Deus only feature.

• Like 2