Survey Of Usage Of The Equinox 800 User Profile Feature

Eqx 800 User Profile usage  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How often (in terms of hunts) do you make use of the User Profile feature of the Eqx 800?

• at least 75% of hunts,
    • between 25% and 75% of hunts,
    • occasionally, but less than 25% of hunts,
    • never use because it doesn't interest me,
    • never use because the button is inconveniently located, but would use if it were easily accessible.
  2. 2. If you answered any of {1,2,3} above, what is your most common application of the Eqx 800 User Profile?

• Different search mode,
    • same search mode but different frequency,
    • same search mode and frequency but different Recovery Speed (same Iron Bias),
    • same search mode and frequency but different Iron Bias setting (same Recovery Speed),
    • same search mode and frequency but both different Iron Bias and different Recovery Speed,
    • different than any of 1 thru 5 above.
  3. 3. How many User Profile slots would you likely use (even if only occasionally) if they were available and convenient on the Eqx 800?

• Wouldn't use the Profile feature, so 0 would suit me,
    • 1 (as supplied) is just fine,
    • 3 or 4,
    • More than 4.

I've created this short (fortunately for you the software won't let me enter more than 3 questions!) poll.  Comments and further elaboration of your usage, etc. are of course welcome as reply posts.

1132717718_Screenshotat2020-09-16131008.thumb.png.e4e373c3a9365de50b81a623ab5c0250.png

• Like 1

On question #2 I answered with #6. I do use the same mode (Park 1) with a different iron bias in my user profile but I mostly have it for a 5 tone trashy park discrimination pattern for coin and jewelry hunting with specific tone volumes, tone pitches and tone breaks in case I am being overwhelmed by trash signals using 50 tones with little or no discrimination outside of the User Profile.

• Like 2

I just use 4kHz as my profile for bottle cap rejection.... Of course the logical thing to say would be give the most profile spots possible but I don't want to complicate things so I said the current 1 is fine for me, I like easy to use and understand detectors.   I'll leave the complication to the more advanced users or those that like to fiddle, probably why I like the Gold Monster and Vanquish so much, turn on and go.

I don't use it as often as I could, because the button assignment is super uncomfortable.. we had that discussion every now and then. It would be cool to swap the frequency button with the user profile button..

• Like 1

Question 1 - #3, Occasionally., but less than 25%

Question 2 - #6, set up in Park 1 for coin shooting in trashy parks, reject consistent trash VDIs or reject trashy iron around cellar holes

Question 3 - #3, 2 Personal settings would be handy

4 minutes ago, TedinVT said:

Question 2 - #6, set up in Park 1 for coin shooting in trashy parks, reject consistent trash VDIs or reject trashy iron around cellar holes

Can't you do this with the horseshoe button (everything same except rejecting certain TID's in profile)?  What am I missing?

Don't we already have the ability with four different inland modes to make each one a user profile and the one we use the most the actual user profile button so you don't have to run thru the sequence of modes each time you use it.

I used field1 (changed settings to mimic pk1) along with my pk1 user profile which gives me three different setups out of pk1. Each one tweeked to make it do what I wanted.

The 800 is an awesome machine!

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Can't you do this with the horseshoe button (everything same except rejecting certain TID's in profile)?  What am I missing?

Sort of, however if you are trying to reject some of the iron responses or ground mineralization in your discrimination pattern you will have to hear everything if you hit the horseshoe button. For coin and jewelry hunting in normal Park 1 or Park 2 I reject -9 through -4 in order to hear a little iron if I am using 5 tones or 50 tones and my User Profile will keep the same iron settings but reject all but the usual coin signals. So, for me anyway, the answer to your question is No.

• Like 1

GB_A - Doing a quick switch between the personal mode and the regular detect mode allows me flexibility as I work an area.  Not much different than setting up a personal mode with a frequency to test for bottle caps or small aluminum as you work an area.  Simple button push to quickly switch.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Dan(NM)
      I spent about 5 1/2 hours digging in the dry beach area of the lake. My goal was to dig as much trash as possible and it worked out great I was able to nab a few keepers among the junk, silver toe ring, 2 silver earrings and a silver chain with the pendant. Also dug the usual clad and junk jewelry as well.

Ran the Nox 600, my settings were:
      Park 1
      F2-0
      Sens-
      Recovery-3
      Man GB-4
      1-Tone

I dug everything from-2 up

• By South Padre Treasure
      Received my EQ 600 back last week from repair service, they did not indicate what the problem was but, stated they tried my coil and their coil to test and determined the problem was in the Pod.  (note i was getting a CD code then it would turn off, then i got a CD and ER11 code and would turn off)They stated it has been replaced and tested and submerged for water ingress test, passing all test. 
      Due to work, I have been unable to try it out, they just opened up our county beaches Tuesday so maybe when I'm off Monday or Tuesday I can give it a go! I also found a good deal on a 15" coil brand new, will test it as well.
      I see they have done the upgrade with the 4khz frequency. That started me to think, if Minelab can upgrade my 600 pod to include 4khz. then doesn't it stand to reason they would be able to upgrade my 600 to include either the 20 khz or 40 khz or both frequencies making it a 800? Both are using the same coils, battery, same housing etc. just programing I would think. When I spoke to them on exchanging my 600 that was defective to a 800 I was informed they do not have a exchange program even if you wanted to pay extra for it. Just thinking if its that easy to install another frequency why isn't the 20khz included if most of us are searching for gold rings at least I am. Then the silver hunters would be happy, ring hunters happy as well..oh forgot then you would not buy a 800. silly me!
      If I can get out and run a test I will let you know how it goes.
      Happy hunting everyone enjoy your weekend!

• By Steve Herschbach
      Jeff and I had a couple PM messages back and forth about Iron Bias, and what it does. Jeff made mention he thought it took items with mixed ferrous and non-ferrous responses and reduced or eliminated the non-ferrous response, leaving only the ferrous response.
      I usually set Iron Bias to 0 unless I forget and leave it at some default setting. I hunt full tones and between high 39 spikes and audio "tells" while in full tones I generally do not have much issue with ferrous tricking me, and so it has not been anything I have investigated much. The bottom line is I was feeling vague on exactly how this control acts in practice.
      As we all know bottle caps with the normal FE settings had a habit of reading in the mid-teens near 13. I have also run into issues with large flakes of decomposed steel cans in old mining camps that read in the teens. I'm not worried too much about bottle caps, but in some old camps that rotted tin can debris can really mess an area up.
      Minelab introduced the new FE2 setting that allows for more range on the control. Jeff's message made me wonder - is Iron Bias reducing the non-ferrous false signals, or increasing the ferrous signal? This short video shows the problems and the solution, and answers this question.
      I start with a piece of tin steel that gives a non-ferrous reading around 15 in normal FE mode, and show that from FE0 to FE9 the target gives a clean mid-tone with no ferrous report of consequence. The old FE setting was ineffective on this stuff.
      Then I go to FE2 and show that increasing the setting rapidly shifts from a non-ferrous reading to a ferrous reading. At 0 it's clean non-ferrous. Just going up to 2 makes it a mixed ferrous and nonferrous reading, at 3 it's mostly ferrous with some high tone mixed in, and at higher settings it is a solid ferrous reading of -7.
      To me it looks simple. The control is variable, and a particular item can be adjusted to read solid non-ferrous, or to give mixed tones, or to read solid ferrous. It is not a matter of just decreasing the false signals. More like converting what were non-ferrous signals to ferrous signals in a continuous range.
      This all goes back to the ferrous versus non-ferrous range having a full overlap, and much like how you can use the tone break to decide what items near target id 0 read ferrous and which do not, the Iron Bias offers a secondary control that does the same with these problematic items.
      The part I do not show? There are good items that will do the same, and I need to try and find one. In theory there is a good item that will give a false ferrous if this setting is too high. Otherwise we would not need the control. Just set it to max and forget. So the real question here that I think remains is not about the ferrous. The control will clearly help with making ferrous items read ferrous. But what about the reverse? What non-ferrous items will be revealed by leaving this control at a low setting? I take it as a matter of faith these items exist and so I leave the control low at or near zero. But how common are they? Am I suffering needlessly? What are the risks of setting the control too high? Minimal risk, or high risk? The best way to find out may be to simply go detect, but take the time to double check items at the full FE2 setting of 9 to see how many might read ferrous when they are not.
      Be patient - it might take a minute for the video to start once you hit go.
      fe-v-fe2.mp4
    • By pinpointa
      Hi Guys,
      With the equnox can you accept everything and give the vdi you don't wan't a no tone and alot different tones to the ones you wan't. Like on the Whites v range.   Regards .
    • By PI Pete
      I even bought the universal charger with 4 USB ports from Minelab and NEVER used anything but this to charge the machine.
      I have used it three times, I plugged it in the first night and I though it charged it fine.  I had not been paying attention and today the fourth time I took it out it flashed BF.
      Left charging all day and green light even stays on indicating that it is fully charged but when I turn it on its flashing the battery meaning its less than 5% charged.
      very frustrating, going to try another charger that has greater than 2 amps.
      Thanks for any comments / feedback
    • By GhostLands
      Hi everyone! Hope y'all doing great!
      Has anyone tried Field 2 at the Beach (Wet)? 
      I know that Field 2 can run ok on Dry, but at Wet it will false alot... "Ghost" signals at 1 and 2 ID's. (I have my Ferrous from -9 to 0, something like the Vanquish 540 Jewelry Mode). 
      When I hit the Beach, my goal is to find gold and not coins, so i use a specific config on wet... 
      Beach 1 or Beach 2, i set a disc from -9 to -3, open from -2 to 16, disc again from 17 to 40, recovery speed at 7, 0 FE and F2, 2 Tones and max sens.
      Why? The probabilities of finding gold at low ID's is very high. I know that some gold rings can give 17 or much higher ID's...  if I get a bouncing signal mixed with Ferrous and some non ferrous (very low numbers), i dig, it could be some deep gold or a gold ring on edge...
      Well, one of my friends recently posted that long post in one of those Equinox Groups on Facebook... 
      To me, it doesn't make sense... How can Field 2 be more stable/perfect than Beach modes on wet!? At max sens?!  Btw, he didn't explain well at the very beginning of his post.  He has been hunting  with his Equinox 800 for 1 and half year, most of his hunts were on Land, and he has around 30 Beach hunts on his record. (The way he wrote on Facebook makes one think that he has hunted at the Beach for 1 and half year and using Beach 1 and 2).
      Another thing, in the past, he has experienced alot of  EMI while holding and shaking his coil in the air, while on Beach 1 and Beach 2...  after a FP, he managed to fix that "issue", after some hunts he started to have that "issue" again, but this time no need to shake the coil, it just gets alot of EMI just from holding his coil in the air. A FP doesn't fix.
      It kind of reminds me the days back when I had the White's Spectra V3i. One day while hunting with the stock coil and using Multi, I had a Overload message on my screen... after dropping the sens, the machine would work fine... but then when I switched to the lowest frequency, I had that Overload error again... the mid frequency was ok at max sens, the highest frequency was also ok at max sens. While trying the Butterfly Sef and the Detech 13 Ultimate coils I had no issues and everything was working just fine! So I guessed that my stock coil was defective...
      I'm starting to think that my mate might have a similar situation! I don't know... 
      Let me know your thoughts!
      Oh btw, that gold ring, he found it minutes ago while using Field 2! Haha 

I'm so sorry for my bad English. 
      Best regards