Need Some Help With Electronic Scrap

Hi,guys!

I want to receive an expert advice. I’ve got some old electronic equipment (of Cold War times, came from USSR) and want to remove gold from the contacts. What can you say about this equipment http://www.ishor.com/refining-and-recovery/refining-systems-processes  Is it worth the money? What kind of equipment you can recomend?

It involves using some nasty chemicals with nasty fumes.I was going to strip gold off PC circuit board fingers and chip pins some years back but decided I didn't want these nasty chemicals/acids in my house. The fumes alone could hurt you bad and we don't want govt types to come snooping around investigating strange odors and chemistry sets. Aqua regia was one of the nasty solutions as I recall. I'd say to sell the electronic scrap on Ebay instead and stay safe at home...

So Comrade, by chance are you in the SEO business trying to boost traffic by creating links? There is usually another name for that related to sandwich meat in a can. You fit the pattern first time poster and all. Normally you just get banned as has happened to you on other forums but for once the link was actually close to being on topic and some interesting information there so I am letting it go. Now I am just curious to see if you answer or this was just a drive by post on your part.

• Like 1

The Shor stuff is way, way too expensive. You can do the same with home made stuff and a few things bought at Home Depot or similar places for literally few pennies on the dollar of the same would cost from shor. They hide the names of the chemicals so you wont go out and buy it elsewhere for cheap. Normally, recovering scrap gold is a lot of work for a few grams unless you have easy access to loads of electronics stuff. I was given a few pounds of old, gold plated military contact pins, and after fiddling with it for a while, I ended up with nearly half an ounce of gold. That's highly unusual. A pound of close trimmed computer card edges (where they fit into a slot and are gold plated) will yield roughly a pennyweight of gold - and that's the edges only not the whole card.

• Like 1

Steve,

I think you are right.

Anyone with electronic 'scrap' should take it to an authorized recycling center and be paid by the pound for it.  They handle all the knocking the fingers off and board scrap.  They will even take all the old tubes with lead and other hazards.  It doesn't just go to China any more.

That is what I did with my computer scrap as a business for 10 years. 

Mitchel

So Comrade, by chance are you in the SEO business trying to boost traffic by creating links? There is usually another name for that related to sandwich meat in a can. You fit the pattern first time poster and all. Normally you just get banned as has happened to you on other forums but for once the link was actually close to being on topic and some interesting information there so I am letting it go. Now I am just curious to see if you answer or this was just a drive by post on your part.

Hi Steve,

You are semi-right :)  My job is related to online marketing, but not for ishor.  In this case I really found access to some scrap and want some gold from it, and looking if this worth or not to invest in to it.  

Reno, Sourdough and others who reply - thank you!

• Like 1