New Member From North Georgia

Dirt Wagon

Hi, just purchased my first metal detector yesterday and looking forward to exploring with it. It's a Minelab Gold Monster 1000, since I live in the gold belt of N. Georgia it seemed like a good choice from all the positive reviews of it. I found it on sale for $659 which I thought was a good deal, but enough of that....I tried posting the link for others on this site to get it but was unfortunately flagged and banned for posting the link.

Thankfully the ban was lifted and I'm back. Looking forward to get the detector in my hands and learn the ropes!

- Dirt Wagon

• Like 1

• The title was changed to New Member From North Georgia

Welcome to the forum, and there is a lot of people here if you have any questions. I am new at this also and have met some very nice and helpful people.

Good luck on your hunting.

• Like 2

Welcome, Dirt!  A lot of history in your home state, and more than just discovery of gold and its subsequent mining there.  I look forward to your posts of finds, as well as your learning experiences.

You should consider attending a local GPAA club meeting.  (Probably currently suspended due to the virus.)  You don't have to join to attend a meeting (at least not at my local group where visitors are welcomed).

P.S.  That does sound like a good price on the Minelab GM 1000.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

Might want to snag Fist Full of Gold from Chris Ralph. Sold on Amazon but seems to be out of stock. If your new to prospecting.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kac said:

Might want to snag Fist Full of Gold from Chris Ralph. Sold on Amazon but seems to be out of stock. If your new to prospecting.

You probably can get it directly from Chris, and he makes more money that way, cutting out the middleman.  😏  (He's a member/poster here, BTW.)  Here's a link to his website page that describes the book.  If you can't find a way to buy it there then you can at least e-mail him.  And I agree with kac -- this is the intro (but not elementary!) textbook/'bible' on the subject AFAIC.

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Hope I don't come off like a salesman, just a guy that likes passing on good deals when I see them. I tend to do that on other sites I'm registered on.

I'll keep that book in mind kak & GB, going to hold off for a bit though till I can convince the wife the "hobby" needs more funds to play with. I sold her on the metal detector to help find the property stake's, lol. But if I can find a few grams of gold I'm sure the investment will be worth the read, & I'm all for cutting out the middle man and buying from him directly. Amazon has been getting on my nerves lately with their agenda.

Until then I'm still holding my breath for a tracking #.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dirt Wagon said:

Hope I don't come off like a salesman, just a guy that likes passing on good deals when I see them. I tend to do that on other sites I'm registered on.

You do, and I rescinded the ban because you indicated you would stop. I’m questioning that decision after your last post and the parts I deleted. People here know how to shop. I don’t mind known, longer term members here passing on info about the deals. I do it myself sometimes. Until you have reached that point please refrain mentioning company names and prices etc. and stick to detecting and detector finds. Thanks.

• Like 2

Will do Steve, won't mention any bargains again on this site.

Honestly the first time any site has reprimanded me like this before, I'm just not accustomed to it.

Welcome to the forum DW, Don't be offended by the ban. Everyone here knows where the good buys are. We all are a good bunch of people who care more about helping each other and promoting the hobby. I hope you do well with your new purchase and can show us some of the finds. Gold is great but we like relic's, coins, ect. Even trash items can be fun. Looking foward to your contributions to this great forum.

• Like 1