My Battery Got Pregnant

This could happen to you!!

Long slow romantic walk on the beach this morning. Almost 3 hours in it's time to change the battery. I take the battery off the detector to make the swap and look at it and holy cow the thing is bulbous!

I suspect this is what happens when you don't practice safe charging.

I was just thinking about the recent threads on the beautiful batteries OBN is making and thinking I don't need to get one, I've got two perfectly good batteries. I'm going to rethink that. HELP OBN!

Tim

IMG_20200918_143708680.jpg

IMG_20200918_143630469.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 4

• The title was changed to My Battery Got Pregnant

How did that happen??? Doesn't the charger provided have a safety for overcharge? I will have to watch mine closer now.  Also the swapping of batteries is annoying and I have found kind of hard to keep the sand out while swapping out batteries. It is a bit of a small project every time 😢  I hope you get one of OBN's batteries (that is after I get one first) 😄

• Haha 2

Damaged battery would do that. If it is lithium they can catch fire. Doesn't take much to break them a good drop on the floor can make them short out inside.

Suppose you can use it on one of those hoverboards :0

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So that happened from the charger?  Or did that happen because the AQ operates at a high temp. and it warped on the machine?  Weird!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

I'm quite sure Fisher would like to see that battery and hear all the details you have/noticed. Sorry to hear/see for sure and I will keep an eye on mine.....when it gets here.

Thanks for the post and photos.

Cliff

I have seen other lithium batteries do that if they are allowed to be in a state of total discharge and then recharged.

Norm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tmox said:

This could happen to you!!

Long slow romantic walk on the beach this morning. Almost 3 hours in it's time to change the battery. I take the battery off the detector to make the swap and look at it and holy cow the thing is bulbous!

I suspect this is what happens when you don't practice safe charging.

I was just thinking about the recent threads on the beautiful batteries OBN is making and thinking I don't need to get one, I've got two perfectly good batteries. I'm going to rethink that. HELP OBN!

Tim

IMG_20200918_143708680.jpg

IMG_20200918_143630469.jpg

This is indeed not normal.

This could come from the battery cells inside the pack BUT it could also be a problem in the battery charger.

When you get in contact with FTP support, you should probably return both of them to be verified.

• Like 3

That battery needs to be stored well away from anything that could ignite.......outside somewhere safe. Remember the scene in one of the Terminator movies....Arnies battery becomes damaged and very unstable.......

AD14838B-1C0B-46C3-9F01-44E0F2176A41.jpeg

46F8C55A-4808-4497-8208-5450300CBED2.jpeg

• Haha 3

Yeah, looks like a ticking time bomb! 💣💥 Shipping it back may be an issue! Be safe, and store it away from the house! I think Fisher will be ok with pictures on this one! See what they have to say! I'm sure after some technical questions, they will probably send you a new one!!👍

The Fisher Impulse AQ "Special Edition"uses NiMH not lithium cells.  Nickel metal based batteries and Li Ion batteries are susceptible to damage from exposure to extreme hot or cold conditions during use or excessive charging and it usually manifests itself as swelling or rapid loss of capacity.  If the battery was used and charged in accordance with AQ specs, it is likely that it had an underlying defect that hastened the failure.  They should not be used or charged further once swelling occurs and should not be shipped .  Fortunately, NiMH cells are not as unstable and susceptible to fire as Lithium cells once damaged, but the cell should be treated as if it is a potential fire and material hazard and disposed of at the proper battery recycling facility.  Contact your Fisher AQ point of contact for warranty replacement and whatever documentation is needed (e.g., simple photogrphs) for them to honor the warranty.  I can't see shipping it back as a prudent option, but that is all up to Fisher.

• Like 4