Who Is (your) Detecting Hero Or Mentor ??

If you are a real treasure hunter it’s not just metal you’re looking for.

Did you know when 7UP came out it was in a short long neck beer glass?

Did you know when soda came out it was in a round bottom bottle? The reason was to keep the cork wet so not to leak .

Here’s another book written back when.

7A530F6D-BC2F-41F8-A0F3-08FC32AEE53A.jpeg

• Like 2

I would have to say it started with my grandmother and her love of history. She got me started as she was a member of the DAR and Mayflower society. When I got older a friend that I had worked with, Dan also appreciated history and invited me out to detect with him one day. It took another five years before the kids were old enough to where they could help detect with me. I just bought my first machine earlier this year and my seven year old enjoys helping locate our treasures. I hope this time together will last in her memory and she someday will also take up the search for history.

• Like 5

My definition of "Hero" is probably different from most (I use that term very sparingly), but, the person that helped me early on to get into this hobby, and who I thank and think about to this day would be......My grandmother who gave me my uncle's partial penny collection that he no longer wanted, when I was 9. That started me on my treasure hunting career. When I started detecting over 50 years ago, there weren't that many people I would consider mentors, or even advisors. I pretty much learned by doing. Even though I didn't know them personally, the pioneers in this hobby such as Mel Fisher and Charles Garrett were important to me too as well as the editors and contributors to the treasure magazines that I read religiously . Once I started finding other detecting buddies with the same passion, we learned from each other. Jack R., John D, and especially Dave P, DIP (Detect In Peace) guys. All three left this earth way to early. We had some great finds and times together. Today, we have some great websites like this one where information can flow from those who know, to those of us still learning (like me!) To all those who contribute to this knowledge, thank you!

• Like 5

19 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

One book in particular I remember from 1979 he co-authored with Roy Lagal -- Electronic Prospecting.  It took me over 35 years to convert that from an armchair hobby to a real one.  I give Charles Garrett the credit for that.

I started detecting in 1979. That book covered a lot, the rest was got by TRAIL and ERROR mainly error ?

• Like 2

When I first started there wasnt all these forums around so my training mostly came from anything I could read and Lots of Trial Error and experimenting-I came from the School of hard knocks-Ive hunted with some very sucessfull  people even a few poster childs for different MD companies and picked up a few pointers here and there-never paid for any lessons-You never stop learning with great forums like this one around-Thanks Steve H 👍-Mike C...:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mike C... said:

When I first started there wasnt all these forums around so my training mostly came from anything I could read and Lots of Trial Error and experimenting-I came from the School of hard knocks-Ive hunted with some very sucessfull  people even a few poster childs for different MD companies and picked up a few pointers here and there-never paid for any lessons-You never stop learning with great forums like this one around-Thanks Steve H 👍-Mike C...:ph34r:

Mike,that sums up my detecting path 100% as well,have been detecting for 'just a few years'.

I would have to say my great grandmothers 3rd husband would be the person who gave my interest. Knowing that he was not my real great grandfather, he was a great man. He had a older metal detector and a Tupperware full of silver coins, wheat pennies, and more, and my dad got it from his grandmother after he died. The stuff sat in my garage for years until I found it and seen all of the cool old stuff that could be found. I started with the old detector, but it really didn’t pick up much in the ground. It was really outdated and took 16 AA batteries. I still have that detector, but the one I use now my neighbor gave to me for free a few years ago. I have made my own little box of finds in a old fishing tackle box, and I have added his original finds in with mine. He used to go to a old local park after work at a steel mill, almost everyday. I even use the ww2 us army shovel that he had. Hope you find the story interesting!

• Like 2