Revisiting The XP Orx ID Numbers

RobNC

I know this is a dead horse on many fronts and is highly variable and dependent upon soil conditions, metal condition, etc. But I will once again try to gain some insight. So here goes!

1) What ID range have you found gold rings to fall into on the ORX?(50-59 for instance)

2) Is there a particular ID range that nothing but junk appears to huddle into? (0-45 for instance)

I know it is difficult and a dodgy question of sorts but I've never found anything good below the 60's, as it mostly appears to be can slaw, iron, or foil fragments. Another zone of junk seems to be in the 70's.

I've found small brass relics in the 40's, but yeah, its mostly going to be modern junk down there if hunting a modern site, maybe the occasional micro jewelry bit (earring stud).  49 to 69 I pay attention to for buttons, nickels, and gold jewelry.  Deus makes it a lot easier to deal with modern trash in this range because full tones distortion really reveals the irregular aluminum junk in this range, if Orx had full tones well...you know.  If you get your hands on a Deus target ID chart off the internet, pay attention to the 18 khz column because Orx normalizes all TIDs to 18 khz operating frequency for all coils (including the White HF coils - even Deus doesn't do this) regardless of what frequency you are operating the coil at.  For relic hunting, minie balls fall into the high 70's range otherwise, not much there.  Then its your IHPs and Zincolns in the high 70's, low 80's and purer copper in the high 80's silver and clad at 90 and above.  Orx/Deus likes to up average deeper targets and down average non-ferrous adjacent to ferrous (use of Disc set at around 7 to 10 tends to alleviate the latter).  HTH.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like the numbers on the Deus is similar to the Gold Racer I just picked up. Anything between foil and ring pulls or large square tabs pay attention and irregular numbers are usually trash but not always. Aluminum tends to sound off louder and flatter and signal tends to carry longer (lifting coil) than gold, at least that is what I noticed on the machines I have.

I never ever rely on what a TID gives me,audio is king every time for me,gold coinage and gold items in general are never consistent this could be due to shape,size and one of the biggest reasons why its not wise too especially here in the UK is that the actual gold content and additives can vary by a massive amount particularly during times of turmoil.

Fine gold items including 1/4 gold staters can go down near or into the iron range,exactly the same with our silver hammered coins as well,it was only when coinage started being minted into a uniform size and weight including silver coins as well from the late 1700s/early1800s that one i guess you could start relying on the possibility of using TID safely but we have had coinage and also a wide variety of gold items going back 2000 years prior to a reliable standard.

This is just one reason why i never ever rely on what any TID reading the machines give,audio is not only far more reliable than a TID but is also far more reliable at slightly greater depth as well then of course one has the target audio threshold that is if you have set it up correctly.But the audio threshold of course can not distinguish between a good or a bad target it only gives you a general indication and those are often left in the ground by most folks but potentially those threshold audio signals could be the most desirable finds that most folks walk over and leave in the ground.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RickUK said:

I never ever rely on what a TID gives me,audio is king every time for me,gold coinage and gold items in general are never consistent this could be due to shape,size and one of the biggest reasons why its not wise too especially here in the UK is that the actual gold content and additives can vary by a massive amount particularly during times of turmoil.

Yep, that is why the limited tone options on the Orx coin modes is extremely limiting.  If I do use Orx for detecting, it is usually in Gold mode where the vco-like audio is much more expressive.  Similar to pitch in the disc modes.  Tone is king on Deus especially when all you are getting is double bars on the TID display.  But I also don't discount the displayed information as it is just an adfitional input for making a dig decision.  Yeah, I can get away with just the WS4 phones and a coil on Deus, but that is not my preferred configuration.