6 Hours, Almost Ready To Call It A Skunk!

5 minutes ago, Lunk said:

Congrats on your hard-won treasure; way to persevere, Simon! 

Lunk,

I hope work has ended for you for the summer and you are looking for patches.

He's on JW's heels now.

Can you tell Simon when and how you use cancel?

Mitchel

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

What it the deepest soil there at that location.  I think you could find a 1 gram nugget with that coil at up to 12" but take that nugget back with you next time and do the depth tests.

The soil can get very deep, bedrock pops out all over the place and the closer you get to the exposed bedrock the shallower the soil gets it seems.  That bigger nugget was just to the right of some bedrock.  It wasn't on the bedrock though, but the soft soil turned to gravelly soil where it was.  There just has to be more like it.  What makes life difficult is it sounded like a pellet until I started to dig. 

• Oh my! 1

So basically, digging nuggets is just like digging anything else! You have to dig the trash, to get the treasure! Funny how that works!

Remember, make sure the nuggets know you are there, so they can find you!!👍👍

• Haha 2

Those gravely soils sound like the New Zealand equivalent of the whitish, calcified, compact desert gravels we find here. By that I mean, gravels that if you keep digging and hit them with the target still in the hole, you are like 95% certain it's going to be gold. 

Then, every so often, you get a target reaaally deep into them. And that's when you start thinking about the new truck you want. :laugh: 

• Like 2

Fantastic day. A beautiful area. Would be great to detect in a area that is not covered with red dirt for a change. Your machine certainly went off big time. With sensitivity at 14 and the machine response so loud why not try in difficult mode? Over here I cant use Normal setting at all. Too much mineral variation and the machine becomes a real handful. I have found that setting my machine to conservative sensitivity I can run close to wire fences. A mate of mine really struggles with his near fences but I can use the coil as close as 1 meter from a 4 wire fence with steel pickets.  cheers sturt

• Like 1
2 hours ago, phrunt said:

I reached a milestone lately with my detecting and I didn't even know it.  I've joined the ounce club.

The empty plastic bottle is 1.4 grams.

Simon you should use the Tare button with the empty bottle and then add the gold, it great playing with each piece of gold.

Well done grasshopper you have made it to the NZ ounce club now you have to get the Aussie ounce club that is one piece greater than an ounce, the way you are going it will not be long. 🏅 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Lunk,

I hope work has ended for you for the summer and you are looking for patches.

He's on JW's heels now.

Can you tell Simon when and how you use cancel?

Mitchel

Mitchel, I am still working until the end of October. As you mentioned, the Cancel function works brilliantly at neutralizing interference from power lines and other EMI sources. But another handy application of this Coil/Rx is its ability to handle mineralized, variable ground and hot rocks - not that Simon would have to worry about that in his mild NZ ground. I used it to great effect once in an area that had both EMI and buried hot rocks that sounded just like nuggets and had to be dug, but there were lots of them and it was taking up too much time, so the perfect compromise was to take off the mono coil, put on a double D, and operate in Cancel. The result: a super smooth threshold with no hint of EMI or hot rocks, even with the Gain set at maximum, and I was able to quickly locate a sweet 19 gram nugget. At a depth of only a foot, the target was relatively faint, but it was easily heard because there was no other noise from EMI or hot rocks to mask it anymore. Simon, I trust you already know this, but be sure to have a double D coil on when operating in Cancel, because a mono will not be able to hit on the small size of gold you typically find there, whereas the double D retains excellent sensitivity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Lunk said:

the Cancel function works brilliantly at neutralizing interference from power lines and other EMI sources. But another handy application of this Coil/Rx is its ability to handle mineralized, variable ground and hot rocks.

I had been too concerned using Cancel thinking I'd lose my small gold sensitivity.   I only have two DD coils, the 11" Commander and 15x12" Commander so I'll give the 11" a try and experiment a bit with Cancel.  Thanks for the information. 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By idahogold
      Exciting Dig!😆Cheers from 16f Idaho! Ig

• By Gerry in Idaho
      I finished my 2020 Field Training of customers a couple weeks ago at Rye Patch and was able to run the 7000 without interruption for 6 days.  My best day was 12 nuggets but I also have to admit that on 2 days, I was skunked (the 2 days I was swinging new ground looking for a patch. ).  Almost all the gold were whisper signals most folks are not good at and in a particular wash near the burn barrel, I pulled 7 in a day.  I even called over some customers who were hanging around to let them listen, watch and learn.  It just amazes me this detector can pick up nuggets at 14 to 18" deep and they are less than 2 grams.  Now I would never expect these kind of results in the Spring though so make sure you know your ground and timings.
      I was able to also watch Lunk dig his 1 ouncer and it blew me silly how it had been missed by the older machines.
      Anyway, we had a great trip, fabulous customers/camaraderie, some delicious meals (Thanks Chef Rusty) and good gold.  I'm starting to see a pattern when training though.  The lady customers seem to pay more attention and their proper coil control gets them more gold.

• By phrunt
      JW has had a bit of an ongoing battle with me, for some time now he's been advising me to use my PI's over my VLFs, then when I bought a GPZ he was advising I use GPZ over my VLF's to find more gold.  I know he's right as the proof's always been there, he's been finding more than me consistently since we met but I kept picking up the VLF's as they were my comfort zone.
      I've struggled more on the PI's especially and always favored the VLF's as down here at the bottom of the planet we tend to have a lot of smaller gold and far less bigger stuff and the VLF's tend to be the most sensitive to small gold, I ended up finding gold regularly with the VLF's, just nowhere near as much as he was finding with his GPZ.  On a trip I'd find maybe 1 or 2 bits and he'd find 8 or 10.
      We'd go to go out on a hunt and I'd show up at his place and I'd be standing there holding my Equinox and he'd go OHHH the NOX hey! 🙂  I'd find any excuse to use the VLF as I felt comfortable on them, especially the Nox with all my coin hunts, I knew it like the back of my hand so to take on a PI or GPZ was a challenge.
      Over time I've started using the GPZ a lot more and the results are showing, I've certainly improved in my gold take, very rarely do I get a skunk now when I used to get a skunk 2 out of 3 trips when using the VLF detectors or the GPX.  I can't really include the QED in the equation as I didn't have it long enough before getting the GPZ so it hasn't had the hours the GPX, GPZ and VLFs have had.
      The other day I found a couple of bits of gold with the GPZ and 15x10" X-coil and they were not yet dropped into my bottle of gold so I thought they'd make good test targets as I wanted to work out for myself if I would be disadvantaged using the GPZ over a VLF on small gold targets in the ground.  As the soils in NZ even in gold country are very mild burying a nugget at a depth doesn't seem at all different to finding one naturally with the target signal.  With the Gold Bug 2 widely accepted as the most sensitive VLF on small gold I decided I'd use that as the comparison detector.    I did this test to prove it to myself more than anything but after doing it I thought I may as well repeat it to show the good people on the forum what I'm experiencing.  It's not a scientific test, it's not anything more than me proving to myself why I should use the GPZ over a VLF.  
      I used the 8" X-coil on the GPZ as it's possibly the most sensitive to small gold, although it may not be as the 8" is bundle wound to be able to fit the windings in such a small coil where as the 15x10" that I found the gold with is spiral wound or flat wound as some call it.   The flat wound coils are generally more sensitive than the bundles, so I'm not sure if the 8" is more sensitive than the 15x10" and the bigger coil did find the nuggets in the first place.  The 8" certainly has the size advantage which usually means more sensitive, it is also unbeatable for in rough rocky terrain where the 15x10" is difficult to get to the ground.
      So I went down to the river behind my house to try it out, I go there as my house has too bad EMI for the GPZ, the disadvantage of going there is a lot of hot rocks which trouble the Gold Bug 2 but not the GPZ, so I had to first dig the area out, remove all the hot rocks by using the GB2 to find them and then refill the hole.  I dug out a much bigger area than I was using to be sure no rocks would interfere with the GB2 however I missed one to the right of the hole, far enough off to not effect the results but I do hear the GB2 find it when I pass over it during filming.  After doing it I thought I should have put my harness on and used the GPZ how I do in the field with the sP01 enhancer/booster and external speaker as for the video I was just using the WM12, and it gives poor audio compared to the sP01, the targets stand out MUCH more when the sP01 is used.  I may redo the test and post a video with just the GPZ using the sP01 to show the difference between using it and not using it next.
      Anyway, here is the video, I put little captions on it so it's easier to understand what's going on.
      I think I've proven it to myself I should focus more on using the GPZ and less on the VLF's...... JW will be happy with this revelation. 🙂
      By the way, a GIANT thank you to Dr Lunk, he read my post where I found the two nuggets used in this video where I was talking about the bad vertigo I've been having the past couple of weeks and advised me of an exercise method that can fix it and fixed it for him so I looked up what he was talking about and found this video

I followed the instructions in that video and within about 5 minutes my vertigo was fixed, weeks of suffering ended with a few minutes of an exercise technique.  Incredibly amazing so thank you very much Lunk, or as I call him Dr Lunk.  It's been two days now with no dizziness, and it was resolved immediately after doing Lunk's exercise technique.  I've even stopped taking my anti-dizziness/nausea drugs.
    • By Jonathan Porter
      This thread is a place were I can share and continually update pictures of any of my current gold finds, kind of like a gold diary of sorts. Sometimes I’ll include narrative other times it will be just pictures of what I found for the day. I get out detecting regularly and I use a lot of different equipment some of which is not open for discussion. This thread is NOT about equipment but about the gold I find as I find it. I will try to include pictures of the terrain so people can visualise what the areas look like where I‘m detecting. 
      I would prefer if others do not post up pictures to this thread but ALL DP members are more than welcome to comment and ask questions about detecting related subjects, especially about targeting locations and mind sets and approach. It’s OK to relate to a post and talk about your own experiences, in fact I insist on it. That’s the whole point of a gold thread, to share my daily gold finds and talk with like minded people about how much fun it is to find gold.
      The Last couple of days detecting things have been a little slow as I revisit old haunts not visited for years. I’m targeting areas associated with old gold finds looking for indications of other nearby locations that are conducive to nuggets being present. The signs I’m looking for are gravels that are exposed at the surface, especially with pieces of ironstone in the mix, then working off the edges into the soil covered zones. Clermont does not have channeled gravels that were originally associated with creeks and rivers but instead has deltas of wash that spread away from the source becoming water worn in the process, this means you can have quiet large areas of deco clays with very little gravels then hit an area the size of a kitchen with good wash that contains gold, sometimes it can be associated with a weathered down localised quartz reef which has acted as a trap for mobile gravels or it will be made up entirely of gravelly wash that has moved on-mass and delta’d out in a fan shape. The trick is to find these areas hidden amongst the tree cover and fine surface soils that hide them. Quite often you will head downslope following the gold then hit a blank of deco that goes for 30 meters then the gravels will start up again. The trick is to try and push the boundaries until either a major drainage gobbles up the contents of the slope or the ground becomes barren. The hard part is to try and decide if the surface soils are laying over gold gravel or just deco with nothing underneath. 
      JP
      Pics are of the last couple of days in two different locations.

Day two

• By Lunk
      I always look forward to the winter months when I can freely swing the mighty Zed in the vast stretches of the desert southwest, uninhibited by the dense vegetation I typically have to deal with in the forested regions of Idaho. Searching new areas for a nugget patch is never easy, and long, fruitless days can really test your stamina and forbearance. Thankfully, the odd scattered nugget encountered here and there can spur one on to continue the magnificent quest. Such have been my days of late, patiently covering ground with the large GPZ 19 coil and anticipating that sweet sound of gold. Having been awhile since using it, I had forgotten how extremely sensitive the 19-inch coil is; pictured below are two recent sub-gram finds. The small one weighs a mere 0.12 of a gram, and the larger, thin bit, 0.18:

As beautiful as it is, the desert presents a daunting and endless expanse of landscapes to explore in search of the elusive yellow metal:

Of course, researching productive sites and following the geologic clues as well as old workings left behind by the prospectors of days gone by, like these coarse dryblower piles, can narrow down the search area:

Discovering a new nugget patch is the holy grail that every nugget shooter dreams about, and though few and far between, they are still out there. So persevere and always keep in mind these words from one of the greats: “Put the sound to the ground and leave tracks all around, because that's the way gold gets found!”
      A small, undiscovered patch of nuggets I stumbled upon in the Nevada desert last spring:

• By klunker
      Do any of you geeolodgik jeanyussez have a good theory for the formation of these nuggets? They were all found within about 50' of each other using an excavator and a7000.