Coin Hunting Detectors - Good Or Great?

One last tip. I do the "buy and try" thing and so do many others. Many detectors have a transferable warranty these days. For example, the White's MXT has a two year transferable warranty. Many people buy detectors and never use them more than once or twice. It seemed like a good idea until they went trash digging. Popular detectors are the way to go because there are lots of them for sale, and it is easy to sell them. Right now there are tons of like new DEUS models for sale with transferable warranty.

So, go to eBay, do a search for a used model. You can search "sold listings" to see what the average low resale price is. Right now used MXTs go for $400 - $500 dollars. Then look for units about a year old or less. With White's if you get the serial number from the seller you can call and confirm remaining warranty plus see if the detector has been reported missing.

Then bottom fish. This thread got me kinda sorta craving an MXT. If I proceeded I would place max bids of around $350 on clean units from known sellers. There are so many MXTs for sale that eventually you just get lucky and snag one on the cheap. Call White's, inform them you are new owner.

Now use it a bunch, but keep it clean. If you like it, keep it. If not, sell it yourself being sure to advertise it has remaining transferable warranty. If done right you can get enough extra on resale to cover postages and fees and pretty much break even. Or at least learn a lot for very little spent.

In the last year I have done this with the F19, F75, V3i, and Sierra Pulse Pro. The Fishers usually do not have the transferable warranty however. I honestly don't worry about it much myself but it can offer a level of extra comfort having that.

• Like 3

Sounds like now would be a good time to clean the closet and post the unused stuff on the classified section. Looking at it the other day and well it is lacking items. You know the holidays are coming.

And of course you can always donate your unwanted stuff to me. Little known fact, I am a non-profit prospector. :)

• Like 2

Sounds like now would be a good time to clean the closet and post the unused stuff on the classified section. Looking at it the other day and well it is lacking items. You know the holidays are coming.

And of course you can always donate your unwanted stuff to me. Little known fact, I am a non-profit prospector. :)

I'll help out with that and post an AT Gold in the classifieds.

Bryan

• Like 1

Hey bud, Im in same area, search same things. Personally, like the f19, mxt deus , vista gold and at pro. Any of those mid frequency detectors work well. Set disc to just knock out a smaller square nail, and go 2 tone. Small coils help immensely.

Whenever I'm up there I look for a guy with a mullet and a red truck, I figure I'll run into you one day. Do you ever wear a shirt? that would confuse me.:-)

thanks for the knowedge dump, thats the meat of this forum. I like whites stuff, I have two whites already, probably add a third. I get excited by all the cool new stuff though. but it does seem as if the american companies are not really doing anything really interesting lately.

Why cover these awesome pecs dude!?

too true dude. 

compared to the MXT, I've been wondering what if anything for the areas I've been hunting (old sierra trash areas and parks) would i want to be able to do with my vlf that i can't. it is the only vlf I've every used so i have nothing to compare it to, and so few were sold that very little information is available from other users, I'm talking about the Whites SST one of their mystery detectors made for the western states and never marketed, with almost nothing to adjust, but set for hot soil and fast recovery. i don't mind the all metal hear everything other than that performance is the question, if I had the mxt just for comparison would i likely just run it the same as my SST anyway for gold country?

Gambler, Steve had written "Since everything has been pounded for years research and finding good sites is more important than most anything else. "

This is so true. Don't think you will finds great sites by pulling up a list of ghost towns in your county off the internet. People have been metal detecting a long time now. I am continually amazed at how many places have been pounded. :blink: 

Let's say you do some good research and have a couple new spots to hit for the day. You arrive at the first one to find recent dig holes(covered we hope) so you take off for the next site. After a couple hours of nothing much at site 2 you figure that place must have been vacuumed years ago by some savvy hunters. Time to go home right? Wrong!

Head for the worst iron infested spot on the site. Don't pull out your MXT that weighs 4.5 lbs and has a 9" concentric on the stick. Forget that boat anchor! :D  Pull out your new light weight Deus or Racer w/OOR coil and go to work with a machine that has lightening fast separation.

I have had a Deus for almost 2 years. Gotta admit I am a fan boy. It is mega-adjustable for the conditions, almost like a bunch of detectors rolled in to one. You can hunt the worst iron with it or tune it to go deep. Works good on coins and relics most everywhere, not the best for parks though it does work. Not my favorite for gold nuggets. A new coil and software update will arrive soon so I hope to see some new wild abilities out of the detector from XP.

I bought a Racer this past spring because I was intrigued by the claims made of its abilities and I had to see for myself. Well, for a while I thought the much touted abilities were actually nothing special. A nice detector but it did not make old sites new. LOL. Then I was at an old gold rush hotel that has been pounded by many. My brother-in-law and myself had beat it to death with my Deus and his 705. Good targets being slim to none, out of desperation I pulled out the Racer with that tiny coil. Started digging relics one after the other. It had me scratching my head for sure. I have seen the same magic occur since. I have no explanation why some places are lit up by this detector why others are not.

If money is a factor just buy a used Racer or Fors Core, they kick butt in old mining camps such as you describe.

I fully expect to be excoriated by MXT owners but I needed an example of a great machine that needs updating and put on a diet. . Owned one-been there, done that.

• Like 2

compared to the MXT, I've been wondering what if anything for the areas I've been hunting (old sierra trash areas and parks) would i want to be able to do with my vlf that i can't. it is the only vlf I've every used so i have nothing to compare it to, and so few were sold that very little information is available from other users, I'm talking about the Whites SST one of their mystery detectors made for the western states and never marketed, with almost nothing to adjust, but set for hot soil and fast recovery. i don't mind the all metal hear everything other than that performance is the question, if I had the mxt just for comparison would i likely just run it the same as my SST anyway for gold country?

The Sierra Super Trac (SST) is just a very stripped down MXT that comes stock with the best coil for the unit, a 10" X 5.5" DD. Performance is identical to the MXT/M6 just far fewer features.

I think the MXT has a better balance of park detecting capability AND other type of detecting capability than most machines. And very easy to learn. However, Merton's post is actually spot on with my way of looking at things. I ditched the MXT years ago myself for the F75. The same engineer behind the MXT lead the team that designed the F75. The DEUS is tops for hunting in ferrous but it has one weakness - no small coil. The Racer exploits that weakness.

It does often split between groomed parks and places in the woods. This thread started out being about parks. There are lots of nice, well behaved park detecting machines like the DFX that serve well for that purpose, but when hitting thick ferrous trash, the "carpet of nails" scenario, they come up short. If you really, really are just going to hunt parks than a U.S. Style park machine is more appropriate. For diving into deep ferrous trash, Euro Style machines have the edge these days. That was the whole point if my article at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1378-european-detectors-versus-us-style-detectors-on-target-masking/

• Like 3

I read that article, thats what prompted me to start this thread.