Exploring Iron Masking And It's Effects On Different Metal Detector Models

Hunting around obvious iron targets is very different than silent masking where a machine might not be capable of reporting an iron target and instead just masks out the targets around and below.

Find a piece of rusty sheet metal, doesn't have to be big and you will see a good example of what happens.

This was the test. Nails driven into the wall of the 6” hole were 5, from 2 inches to 4 inches. With 1 nail next to the coin in the bottom. Unfortunately video is in Italian language..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9pLg9aQ5DA

Same test but with 10 euro cent coin in the bottom of a 6” hole with 4 big rusty nails driven into the wall of the hole. Lost picture of the hole. It’s in italian language.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/4PrIXsZ-fv4

Here using D1. Italian language, sorry. Anyway here with a 50 euro cent coin, reactivity 5, silencer -1 and full tones. 4 big rusty nails. Same test as V6 above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moCdegVoHms

I’m sorry for these short videos which are in Italian but I had to do a V6 review...6 years have passed. I was younger!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kac said:

Hunting around obvious iron targets is very different than silent masking where a machine might not be capable of reporting an iron target and instead just masks out the targets around and below.

Find a piece of rusty sheet metal, doesn't have to be big and you will see a good example of what happens.

Was forgetting to say that V6 was with discrimination on 4, nails were totally cut out..

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 3:41 AM, EL NINO77 said:

Finally, if the detector handles well both 2D and 3D
separation  test at the same time on a single optimal coil ... we can consider it as one of the top detectors for separation ..

So what is the list of detectors and coil combo that meets this criteria?

In my view, "these are detectors that use 9" to 11 "coils, because such a coil size has a big effect on 3D separation ... and separation performance detectors on such coils have ... very good 2D separation properties. / 7-8 points out of 8 max / .. from my detectors they are ...
..Minelab Etrac / on the right setting Deep ON, Fast ON, multiton / long response- 11 "coil,./, minelab Equinox 11" coil .., .. Xp Deus / ORX 9-11 "coil,, .... Rutus Alter 71 8-11 "coil,novy  .. Rutus Atrex 8-11" coil .., ... Golden Mask- Coin killer15khz  9"coil.. ...

These detectors can handle 3D depth as well as 2D surface separation in one setting. And one 9-11 "coil.

coils under 9 "lose 3D separation properties ... in stronger iron ...when the iron is located on both sides of the coil ... / what are the real conditions /

you can try it in a relatively simple 3D test ....2 x 6" nails 3D test ,,,.where the nails are 18 cm apart and the tested target is in the middle at a depth of 7 cm...

....you can also start with a half dollar ....:wink:..because the test can be challenging...

IMG_20200301_225810_715.jpg.a28ee857159fb27ed104227d6537fac7.jpg

• Like 3

More than just nails, take a piec of rusty sheet metal and place it above a silver dime or copper penny etc.

If your using a DD coil that is SMF you should only hear iron and if you disc out iron you should have no signal. If the sheet metal is small enough the machine may not even sense the target below yet still mask.

Now go through the single frequency modes and you will notice that you will pick up on the target below only on the lower frequencies ie <10khz. Preferably 5-7khz is the better range.

This is why the Blisstool is able to sniff out targets others miss. It isn't necessarily the coil size but more of finding that sweet spot in frequencies.

Alternatively if you have only a single frequency machine that is higher than 7khz then use a concentric coils to pick up the target below.

One of the reasons when I hunt and start hearing a lot of iron I jump to 5khz on my Multi Kruzer or Apex or just use my Tejon with the concentric.

• Like 2