First Hunt With The Ace Apex

Ground balance is not a needed item on most entry level detectors. People do not walk into stores saying "I want to learn how to ground balance." A zillion Ace users are quite happy without ground balance, and for most turf detecting, the real market here, it simply is not needed from a technical perspective either. Simplex is actually too complicated for many people. You guys would benefit working in detector retail for some time, because what you want, and what the market wants, don't match up quite as well as you might think. People in general want to find stuff, and the less controls the better.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, palzynski said:

Yes but the Simplex has an important drawbac:k  ; it is an heavy machine with its 11 stock coil . At around 1,4kg it is largely above the average....

1.4 kg = 3.1 lb.  Above average compared to the Apex and Vanquish, OK.  But there are still many <$1000 IB/VLF detectors sold and (especially) used today that come in above this weight.  My Equinox became easier to swing when I put an S-shaft on it and added 1/4 lb (~110 g) of counterweight.  I don't include that claiming the Simplex (or Vanquish or Apex) are performancewise competitive with the Equinox, just to say that detectors over 3 lb can in some cases be more comfortable than detectors under 3 lb, depending upon other factors (especially balance).

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 7:45 PM, phrunt said:

It's becoming more clear with the more people that buy it that aren't Garrett Fanboys that the machine is Porsche look-a-like with an old clapped out VW motor in it.

And the Vanquish is just the opposite , a VW pink beetle look-a-like with a Porsche motor in it .... 😀 ...

Honestly I prefer the pink beetle with the Porsche motor .. 🙂

I do wish they had user updatable firmware. I am guessing as it is rolled out there will be tweaks on future machines. I noticed a huge difference in performance in depth with my AT Pro when they updated it for me when I had sent it in for repairs earlier this year.

Swing speed I think is important, many flail away at a target and different speeds and this can effect how the TID's are displayed as some machines have a slower recovery speed. I would start at 1-2ft per sec, and on the slower side on trashy areas or where the ground may vary in mineralization but that is just me, I like to take my time.