3 hours ago, phrunt said:

I don't like settling for second, third

I don't understand. You say you want the best, but then you got a Vanquish 540 when you already had an Equinox 800. From a form factor perspective, I agree that Vanquish > Equinox, but from a technical capability perspective the Vanquish is inferior to the Equinox, right?

I concur 100% with you that the Apex isn't that big of a jump from the old Ace line. But that doesn't mean it doesn't serve a particular group of detectorists. There are so many reasons why someone would want to buy the Apex. 

I'm a believer in that one should avoid the "muddle in the middle" as much as possible. For instance, if I wanted a SMF detector, I'd try to get either the Vanquish 340 or the Equinox 800. I'd avoid the Equinox 600 or the Vanquish 540/440 like the plague. My general philosophy is to go cheap or go all out; kinda like Yoda, "there is no try." If you can't afford the Equinox 800, but can afford the 600, just wait to buy the 800. If you can afford the Vanquish 540/440 but don't need the Equinox 800, get the 340 and save the left over money for other things, like a pinpointer, paying bills, buying another toy, etc.

Of course, there are plenty of reasons to get a Vanquish 440/540 or an Equinox 600. Some of them may actually apply to me. But getting one of those machines goes against my general philosophy.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with what you buy or think, phrunt; I just don't follow your reasoning. I mean, I'm considering a Tesoro as my next detector. Why? Because I get to tinker with the knobs, not worry about my machine getting superseded by a newer model (that ship sailed a decade ago) and figure out how to replace its 9V battery power source. Yeah, those aren't the most practical or logical reasons.

• Like 1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got my first chance to take the Apex out for a test drive in a local park. I chose U.S. Coins mode because the area I was hunting is home to a Carnival with Rides and Game Booths every year. I must

I was hoping for some multi frequency competition from Garrett. But as it stands right now they aren't even close to what Minelab has. I honestly can't tell much of a difference in performance between

Hi , I received the Apex last week and did 4 outings with it , total around 5 hours detecting upto now ... I will write a specific thread on this but for the moment I am quite disappointed with this m

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

I don't understand. You say you want the best, but then you got a Vanquish 540 when you already had an Equinox 800. From a form factor perspective, I agree that Vanquish > Equinox, but from a technical capability perspective the Vanquish is inferior to the Equinox, right?

Yes, I bought the Vanquish for my daughter/wife to use once or so a year when they detect with me for a coin hunt at the ski fields after the season ends as I felt guilty using the Nox knowing I had it easy to ID coins compared to them using the Ace 350 or the T2 🙂  I needed accurate target ID's for them and figured a Vanquish will do fine for that, It turns out I quite like it and it does have an outstanding ability to ID coins correctly but I'd never consider it a replacement for the Nox, not even close.  I got the Vanquish 540 Pro pack to get the extra coil as I wanted to try out the small elliptical myself, I haven't even touched the wireless headphones it comes with, I'll never use them.    Buying the Vanquish was me buying an entry level detector for them to use, people that an entry level detector is enough, they are never going to use it more than once or two times a year so and they're never going to take up detecting.... I got them what I consider the best entry entry level detector for the purpose, to hunt for coins with accurate ID.  There was no point me buying them a Nox, too confusing. 

This fits completely with what Ive said, buy a good entry level to see if you'll advance in the hobby, then if you do want to continue go right to the top, don't waste money fluffing around.  The Apex is a good entry level detector, it lets people hunt the beaches, have frequencies to choose from, wireless audio, all the modern bells and whistles.  For a first detector, I'd say jump on it.  I wouldn't recommended someone with an Ace upgrade to it when they could just get a better performing detector and not need to keep upgrading or wonder how much better they'd do with a better detector.

• Like 3

Ahhh, that makes sense.

But if someone had an old Ace and wanted to upgrade, I still think the Apex could be a reasonable recommendation (depending on their specific needs, of course).

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

I guess my nut works differently.  If I don't have the best detector I always want it.  I don't like settling for second, third or in the Apex's case something like the 10th best detector on the market.   I always end up upgrading.  I'd rather skip the steps of gradually getting to the top and just start there and grow into the machine, it ends up cheaper too.  Often a fair bit cheaper if they start buying coils too for these lesser models.

I imagine most people that commented wouldn't be satisfied using the Apex as their only detector.  Then you say it's because you're not at that beginner level..... neither will the person in question if they put effort in and get out there using their detector, and if they start at the top they've got nowhere to go, don't need to learn new detectors as they upgrade, they don't need an upgrade.  They don't need to wonder if they'll do better with a better machine.

Yes it's technically an upgrade over the Ace, and so it should be when the Ace was release in 2004, that's 16 years for an electronic product.  People need to think outside of detectors for a bit and think of other products that use similar features.  Wireless audio has been standard on things for donkeys years, things that can cost $20 have wireless audio via blue tooth.  It's not a big technological jump, it's standard in other electronics, detector companies just take us for a ride selling outdated technology as there is so little competition.

The Ace came out in 2004 and has had some minor changes over it's life with the biggest adding target ID instead of notches I guess so should it even be sold anymore or should the Apex be the new entry level. Then their detectors are from 2020 not over a decade ago.  Detector companies are mostly all guilty of selling old products.   You can buy one new and you're swinging a retro detector with vintage electronics 🙂

I cant think of any other electronics products that can sit on the shelf in a shop for 5-10-15 or even 20 years and still be a current model other than some detectors.

Is the Apex a good detector? Yes, it's a good first detector.  Would you want to stick with it as you get more advanced with your detecting? Not likely.  That answers the question.  Pay double the Apex price and get something good that you won't need to upgrade as you develop in your detecting, maybe that'll be the AT Pro Multi if it comes out if you insist on buying Garrett for where it's made rather than it's performance. :wacko:  Maybe Garrett will come out with the At Pro Multi and be the King of the market, then I'll want one!

Simon -

The context I answered your question was from the perspective of the typical Ace user.  Not you nor me.  This person typically does not have unlimited means to own mini - monsters or detectors north of $5K US or to get a Vanquish for primarily coinshooting a favorite football pitch site or in my case to get a Tarsacci simply to see what it can do, not because I need one.  They are looking for value,  2 x $400 is a lot of money to them.  The are looking for a performance/feature bump and ease of use and have jobs that limit their detecting time in the field, so don't have the luxury of learning the ins and outs of a top end detector even if they could afford one.  Simply looking to take their detecting to the next level but not necessarily to the pinnacle of detecting, so it IS likely they will only stick with Apex.  It will meet their needs even if it wouldn't meet ours.  They are not detector nerds and they are probably brand loyal to a fault.  They may see no need to go beyond the AT Max.

They are not you and me, but they are likely the majority of detectorists out there.  You understand and focus on the detector not the typical detectorist and that is why you have trouble understanding why they WOULDN'T pay double the Apex price for a better detector.  We are the outliers.

Chase

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

We are the outliers.  (emphasis mine)

That is true in many more ways than just what detectors we prefer and buy.  I don't say that to be funny, but if someone wants to interpret it that way, it's probably justified.  😏

• Like 1
6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

That is true in many more ways than just what detectors we prefer and buy.  I don't say that to be funny, but if someone wants to interpret it that way, it's probably justified.  😏

Yup we are mental.  JW just bought a GPX 5000, for no reason! Even admitted he'll never use it, he's got two 4500's and a 4000 as well. 🙂  It's a disease! I'm in the process of buying a F75 SE which I'll only use a few times to test it out.  I can't help it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You mental outliers must also be independently wealthy!💰 With finds, or some other means!

But if you gotta be addicted to something, detectors and detecting is the healthiest of all the choices! Keep up the good work fellas! You can always sell your excess inventories to us junior junkies!👍👍

• Like 1

Hi , I received the Apex last week and did 4 outings with it , total around 5 hours detecting upto now ... I will write a specific thread on this but for the moment I am quite disappointed with this machine . I do not like the audio , the sounds on targets are not stable unless the targets are shallow. The VDIS are very jumpy unless the targets are shallow . Also many false signals between the targets . I compared the Apex with a Vanquish 540 in the same area and the Vanquish outperforms the Garrett . Much more precise and stable on targets etc ...

On the other hand the Apex mechanical design is good I like the thin control box , the headphones are very well made. But again the Equinox , Vanquish , Deus/Orx , T2  ,Tesoro's audios are much better than the Apex. Just my opinion as usual... I will give more details later in the new thread ...

Like Abenson I dont like writing negative things on a machine . However for the moment I am not really happy with the Apex ... 😒

DSC02492.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

It's becoming more clear with the more people that buy it that aren't Garrett Fanboys that the machine is Porsche look-a-like with an old clapped out VW motor in it.

• Like 2

Yea I decided I'm going to sell mine. I just don't need another mid-priced detector. Great for urban park hunting but I just don't do much of that anymore and when I do I only dig deep signals. In that case the deeper signals are out of range for the Apex. Probably through it on one of the Facebook Garrett Apex user forums since that's where the Garrett fans hang out.

• Like 2