41 Merc

Kac

I’m sorry to be the one to inform you that’s not a old coin . I was born in 1941 so you can see where I’m coming from.
Great find and the best thing it’s silver. My hair what little I have on my head is silver too .

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I’m sorry to be the one to inform you that’s not a old coin . I was born in 1941 so you can see where I’m coming from.
Great find and the best thing it’s silver. My hair what little I have on my head is silver too .

I never said it was old haha, did say it was silver :)

• Haha 2

I was wondering why around the old oaks that were cut down why the mineralization was so high. Is it because the trees absorb the minerals in the area? If so then that could be a good indicator of where old trees once existed especially in open fields and parks and would be good spots to double check for targets especially deep targets. So keep an eye on the mineralization meter on your detectors.

• Like 1

Kac

Somewhere here on the forum I wrote a story about that. A friend dug a good size hole next to this big tree thinking he had treasure. I had to prove to him that he was detecting a high mineralization in the ground and the tree had the same problem.

Chuck 

I'm going to look on some old maps see if I can find spots that had trees that don't exist anymore and see how the mineraliztion in and also do some deeper searches around those spots. Granted in farms they would pull the tree stump out but around it might have something.

Curious if the type of tree makes a difference too such as maples vs pines vs oaks.

Kac

The tree I was talking about was none of the three you said. I do remember running the coil over the side of the tree it had hot spots that would set the detector off . The farm land was a sandy with clay mixed in. I’m thinking it may have been a Elm . 

Here I go with another story. A friend told me about a big Oak tree he got a strong signal about two feet off the ground. I was all for checking it out. 
 Sure enough I too got a strong signal. You could see a holler about 8 feet off the ground where anyone could have dropped something in .

I could see already that bank robber on his horse sitting in the saddle dropping in his loot for a later day .

I had totally lost control because before I knew it I had cut a window in the side of that tree.

Well I know you wanting to know what was in that tree. Somebody had been using that hole as a basketball hoop and it was full of soda cans .

It was a big letdown and a kick in the rear at the same time.

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

That happened to me last winter, was a hollowed tree that fell, I had just dug a 2 cent at the end of it and got a strong signal near the middle but couldn't find it. Next run out I had cracked a coil on my AT Pro and went home. Last spring I went back and sure enough way down inside was a bunch of squashed cans. Got to admit they do sound good at times.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, kac said:

I was wondering why around the old oaks that were cut down why the mineralization was so high. Is it because the trees absorb the minerals in the area? If so then that could be a good indicator of where old trees once existed especially in open fields and parks and would be good spots to double check for targets especially deep targets. So keep an eye on the mineralization meter on your detectors.

Just to be clear, you're referring to specifically mineralization measurements, not phase shift measurements? 

I don't know why all mid-range and higher priced general purpose detectors on the new market today fail to have a mineralization meter.

• Like 1