41 Merc

Yes mineral meter. Old oaks left areas that the meter hits 1/3-1/2 way up the meter and beyond the roots it drops to just a bar or less.

I hit a school yard up the street that had a farm at one time. In that field there was a path with row of trees on either side. I tried to find the trees but looks like the whole area was backfilled by 3+ft of top soil on one end and foot near the parking lot. Came across some deep can targets I didn't dig but if there was anything old it was beyond the reach of my GR's coil. Did fine a couple bucks in pocket change I had missed with my other machines though.

• Like 2

Trees are a magnet for people. Big trees especially, and the area around trees can hold many finds, classically from people resting in the shade, working in the shade or playing. In the UK where the weather is not normally that hot, a shady tree on a hot summers day to sit under, is a great way to spill coins from pockets.

Oak trees have great part to play in the landscape here. Their root system is especially well developed and has a particular relationship with a fine fungus type membrane - the name of which I completely forget. Trees of all kinds however will normally cause a change in mineralisation. The root system, the change in plant fauna (or lack of), the drip line - that is the area around the tree that purposely grows to catch maximum water droplets from rain, and for deciduous trees that shed their leaves an annual mineral boost to the soil beneath them. Add to that the sap from the trees natural defences when leaves are in place and the soil will gradually be conditioned and be different to any non-tree surrounding soil.

For some long dead trees the sign left in the landscape is sometimes a 'fairy ring'. Where the soil type is just right and the large circular drip line (imagine the outer diameter of the tree when it was there) has changed the soil you get a dark ring, and sometimes as if by magic a ring of mushrooms. 

• Like 1