Great hunting for such little time.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Thanks 1

Kac

I’m sorry to be the one to inform you that’s not a old coin . I was born in 1941 so you can see where I’m coming from.
Great find and the best thing it’s silver. My hair what little I have on my head is silver too .

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
11 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I’m sorry to be the one to inform you that’s not a old coin . I was born in 1941 so you can see where I’m coming from.
Great find and the best thing it’s silver. My hair what little I have on my head is silver too .

I never said it was old haha, did say it was silver :)

• Haha 2

I was wondering why around the old oaks that were cut down why the mineralization was so high. Is it because the trees absorb the minerals in the area? If so then that could be a good indicator of where old trees once existed especially in open fields and parks and would be good spots to double check for targets especially deep targets. So keep an eye on the mineralization meter on your detectors.

• Like 1

Kac

Somewhere here on the forum I wrote a story about that. A friend dug a good size hole next to this big tree thinking he had treasure. I had to prove to him that he was detecting a high mineralization in the ground and the tree had the same problem.

Chuck 

I'm going to look on some old maps see if I can find spots that had trees that don't exist anymore and see how the mineraliztion in and also do some deeper searches around those spots. Granted in farms they would pull the tree stump out but around it might have something.

Curious if the type of tree makes a difference too such as maples vs pines vs oaks.

Kac

The tree I was talking about was none of the three you said. I do remember running the coil over the side of the tree it had hot spots that would set the detector off . The farm land was a sandy with clay mixed in. I’m thinking it may have been a Elm . 

Here I go with another story. A friend told me about a big Oak tree he got a strong signal about two feet off the ground. I was all for checking it out. 
 Sure enough I too got a strong signal. You could see a holler about 8 feet off the ground where anyone could have dropped something in .

I could see already that bank robber on his horse sitting in the saddle dropping in his loot for a later day .

I had totally lost control because before I knew it I had cut a window in the side of that tree.

Well I know you wanting to know what was in that tree. Somebody had been using that hole as a basketball hoop and it was full of soda cans .

It was a big letdown and a kick in the rear at the same time.

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

That happened to me last winter, was a hollowed tree that fell, I had just dug a 2 cent at the end of it and got a strong signal near the middle but couldn't find it. Next run out I had cracked a coil on my AT Pro and went home. Last spring I went back and sure enough way down inside was a bunch of squashed cans. Got to admit they do sound good at times.

• Sad 1
23 hours ago, kac said:

I was wondering why around the old oaks that were cut down why the mineralization was so high. Is it because the trees absorb the minerals in the area? If so then that could be a good indicator of where old trees once existed especially in open fields and parks and would be good spots to double check for targets especially deep targets. So keep an eye on the mineralization meter on your detectors.

Just to be clear, you're referring to specifically mineralization measurements, not phase shift measurements? 

I don't know why all mid-range and higher priced general purpose detectors on the new market today fail to have a mineralization meter.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By calabash digger
      Hit a new spot for about 30 minutes and these showed up...

• By Rivers rat
      Hello to all,
      Sunday and Monday i hit the coast in search of long lost treasure,still with my mate Fred and his nox and big coil Sunday night not much a copper ring for him,and a deep old copper penny for me.On Monday we hit another beach as we are still testing in real condition Nox Vs MDT.
      I was using my work in progress sand trolley(golf trolley which i will mod) a scoop and a spade were mounted on it.
      4.30 hours didn't bring much luck to both of us my tally for the day was 0.70 pence 😆😆😆😆.We were leaving and really pushing hard to get something good when i had a whisper signal ALL POSITIVE numbers ,after god knows how many spadeful came out this beast of a coin,the largest and heaviest coin i ever found and.......on a beach!!!!!
      It is a 5 kopecks from Catherine the Great Empress of Russia .
      Fred say i won the trophy find of the day very very unusual find on the beach,by the way my 50cal cases story is going around and they are now very very scarce on that spot and 3 in a row is a record finds in more than a decade......
      So far the MDT is growing on me my nox may need to go soon...
      Have a nice week
      RR

• By Hunterjunk
      A short window of luck has given me another gold coin . Eleven days ago while on an organized field day with many prospectors i came across an old miners camp site . Being a relic focused detectorist i worked the site hard . The other coins from the site point to occupation between 1870 - 1890 so finding a 1798 gold Spade Guinea created quite a stir ! Minting of this coin stopped in 1799 . In 1798 my state was not populated by the English and was only just being found to be a separate land mass from mainland Australia . I still get a smile on my face when i think of finding this coin ! 
      25mm diameter , 8.4 grams . Solid 18 on the Nox in ground [5 inches] and out .

• By Theraker
      Yes I’m so green that this 1977 nickel is special to me since it’s my first non-trash find!  Nuggets here I come! Only a matter of time.  
      and no, I’m not willing to sell the Batman keychain I dug.   I’ve got to post it in the paper so I don’t get popped for theft. 

• By kac
      Did a quick run over at the river bank and was able to pick out a couple Indian heads, 1903 and 1892. Also found a small musketball. Numbers are all but useless on any machine due to the iron. Usually hunt by hear a target, take a scoop then re-sweep to see what you have because of the high iron in the ground. Some areas are pretty clean but of course there are rarely targets there.

• By Valens Legacy
      I have been learning my grandfathers equinox 800 metal detector for the past couple of weeks and digging more trash than anything.
      I was back at it again in his back yard after watering the holes I have dug in the past, almost 300 of them by now, when my grandmother asked me to go back to where an old log cabin used to be. As I turned the corner of area where it used to be near the pine trees, I had a strong signal of 23 and 24. I stopped and rechecked in several directions.
      I noticed that every direction showed the same numbers and used the pin pointer mode and marked the spot. The 800 was in park 1 at factory settings, and showed that it would be about 5 arrows down. I started to dig in the dry ground removing the top few inches of dirt and grass. I went to the tool shed and picked out a shovel knowing how hard the ground was I needed the added ability to dig.
      After I got down about 6 inches and no signal on the carrot yet I kept digging. Once I got down 8 inches deep I got a signal on the carrot and began to carefully poke around the ground to remove the dirt where the signal was coming from.
      I finally saw what was giving me the signal and removed it from it's tomb.
      Since there was so much dirt still clinging to it I rechecked the hole and nothing else was in it so I filled it in.
      After cleaning the dirt of with a little bit of Dawn dish soap and water I could make out what was on it.
      I first thought it said 1 farting, but later was able to read 1 farthing a British coin. The date was 1799 and I am shocked that I was able to find it.
      Here is what was on grandfathers property, and yes I am going to keep searching the area for more items. I fully expect to dig at least another 15 pounds of trash before I can say I have covered his yard properly.
      I wish I knew more on how to clean coins and I am reading the forum on just how to do that before I ruin anything. Grandfather never got to clean some of his coins and I really want to get those done for him.