Gold Bug 3.5" Round Search Coil

That’s a sweet looking Gold Bug Steve. Should be interesting to find out how it performs when you get it back. I still enjoy tinkering with some of the old analog detectors.  

• 8 months later...

I Know this is an old thread...  But how did it turn out after you got it back Steve ? I have same original gold bug and am very curious. Does anybody know if a 4" F2- F4 concentric coil will work with a GB plug end installed/converted ?  I also have a older 5" m-scope coil that has the same pins but female connector. Bought it being told it was for the original Bug. But the bugs have male pin connectors..  All I have is the original 10" coil on it and it still works OK.  Thinking of cleaning it up and possibly some mods / tune up...

I'm sure a lot of folks would like to hear about it after some field use....   As far as the coil situation goes... That was my understanding as well.     BUT, I couldn't help myself.  I made 4 little jumper wires and carefully kept them insulated/isolated from each other and plugged them into the box.  Turned it on. played with the threshold, sensitivity and what do ya know...  it seems to be working. air tested a couple sub gram nuggets and seems to be same as 10"coil ????? Also worked in Non -Motion ???   I should have recorded it. 10 is back on now and works , so I guess I'll just leave it alone. 

You might get lucky in air tests, but ground balancing on bad ground etc….. it’s simply not usually the case. But hey, you won’t blow up the detector, and if you have coils you can experiment, why not? Maybe you will discover something really good!