Small Coils - Mars, Nel/cors, N/m For Anfibio

Hey guys, I've been doing some reading on Mars Lion 7" coils to see how they might compare to NEL or others but coming up a bit dry.

Saw something about the MARS coils maybe being more sensitive but noisy.  I really like the way the NEL are built, as least externally.  Would be great to see the construction too, can only hope..

Looking at the Mars Lion, NEL Sharpshooter / CORS Fortune, and maybe the 7 or 9" Nokta Makro concentric for kind of a smaller coil to user in dense areas with an Anfibio.  The primary now is a NEL Hunter 12.5x8.5.  Really "digging" that one, so much so that I got one for my E-Trac and Anfibio both.

Doesn't have to be for the Anfibio but if anyone has experience with these makes with other units it could be helpful in hearing how they run and any pros/cons.

Thanks and HH!

Mike

Can't comment on the Mars coils but both the NELS and the CORS (same company) coils have worked very well for me. I've used them on a Teknetics ETP, 8500, Fisher GBP, F75 and F19, Nokta and Makro Anfibio, Racer, Racer 2, and Multi Kruzer. 

• Like 1

The Sharpshooter coil would get my vote,absolutely stunning combination on my T2 infact that combination has snagged me more gold coinage both hammered and milled than almost all my other machines put together.The NEL Snake is also another very good coil and about the best coils build quality going.

The Mars Tiger coil albeit one of the toughest coils going and i have used one from brand new out the box for about 2 hours use,it back in the box and not been used in maybe 2-3 years,but both the NEL coils that i have mention are stellar performance wise,another 2 NEL coils that i also use on the T2 are the Storm and the BIG NEL these coils are mainly used for deep pasture detecting and when ground coverage is also required.

But for me possibly my all time favourite coil and especially on the T2 is the NEL Sharpshooter coil.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, very helpful experiences!

Somehow I ended up with a Simplex with SP24 small elliptical.  Looked to see if there were any NEL or CORS options but not so far for Simplex.  Thinking about keeping the SP24 on Simplex for a small and light dense area detector and CORS Scout / NEL Hunter on Anfibio.  That way I can carry both units, use the wireless headphones with either, and just grab the Simplex if needed.  Would still consider parting with the Simplex or other things, but it seems hard to beat to have a smaller $200 detector to switch to quickly instead of swapping coils, especially considering the price of coils.

That being said, looking now at a Mars Discovery 13" for Anfibio/Kruzer.  Sounds really appealing and I currently don't have any larger coils, at least not larger than the 11" range or 12.5x8.5 Hunter/Scout.  There's a 13x11 for Deus/ORX but have yet to pull it out and may stick with 9" HF on ORX for the small and quick package.

When testing my E-Trac with Stock 11" Pro coil and NEL Hunter, the narrower NEL was better on air tests and close to a Detech SEF 15x12 (which actually dwarfed the Hunter in size and weight).  Weight on the NEL and 11" Pro was the same on my floor scale, so at least not significantly different.  Sold the SEF 15x12 and ML Pro coil both after that.  Planning to do tests with Anfibio AF28 11" coil compared to CORS Scout as well, and will also take more exact weights of those at that time.

40 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Was your Tiger faulty, what was wrong with it?

Nothing wrong with it i guess,it worked fine,the only thing it would not do was 'auto GB' or Ground Grab which is the only coil that i have had problems with doing it,every other coil from different companies have always done the auto GB,of course i could/can manual GB the coil or just leave it at the factory default of 90.........but lost interest in it and its been in the cupboard for the last couple of years.

Neither NEL,SEF coils or even my rare Coiltek 6'' coil these have always been able to auto GB but that Mars which i think is one of your favourites i could never get do do it.If i loose interest in something then it rarely gets used again and that is the only coil that this has happened with,its not faulty but i just dont get on with it lol.

• Like 1

I have the stock 7x11 Nokta coil on my MK and find it works incredibly well in high trash areas. It is very sensitive to small targets. I think Nokta would have better service if you need warranty work where the Nel and Cors might be difficult. I had inquiries over 2 months to Nel and never heard a peep back. Not sure if Mars is better or not.

• Like 1

@phrunt,Simon,it just aint going to happen,its back in its box in the mancave,the time and effort involved when all my other coils work just fine i just cannot be bothered if i am honest.

Of course i am please that you are happy using yours,but for me its the end of the story.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 12:00 AM, phrunt said:

I desperately want to get a Mars 7", I'm sure it will be built like a tank, only problem is they don't make it for any detector I actively use at the moment.

Check out their webpage where it says they make it for the Fisher Gold Bug and the Teknetics T2.

Here in the USA, Serious Detecting lists it for the Tek G2 (Fisher Gold Bug twin) but I don't see one for the T2 on their site.  They also list one for the Fisher F75 which I recall you saying you just bought.